Direwolf showcases the Forge!

This forum is for anything that doesn't specifically have to do with Better Than Wolves
M!C

Re: Direwolf showcases the Forge!

Post by M!C »

FlowerChild wrote:
M!C wrote: But on a second thought: The Forge is not really comparable to a mod since there are no design philosophy questions and the likes. The Forge concentrates on functionality. If a certain way to code things is more functional than another one is mostly objectively measurable. That means less arguments ...
You'd be surprised man. How something is implemented and if it should be implemented at all can still be a source of conflict. Take the extended Block ID question for example. Even whether something like that should make it into an API is highly debatable.

Many issues do come up, from how invasive particular code changes are (i.e. how much they change the Minecraft base-classes, and which classes they change), the performance hit that comes along with them, which particular mods are favored by which changes, etc.

It's not a cake-walk.
Thanks for giving some insight on that.

My coding experience is limited to the basics of the basics in only very small projects.

Nevertheless I'm thinking about studying computer sciences so I'm always interested in this kind of things.
Battosay

Post by Battosay »

Gilberreke wrote:More on-topic: after watching a few of the videos, it seems like I'm really starting to like IC2 and EE more and more. I'm deliberating doing an IC2 playthrough now.
Funny, after watching the same vids, I decided to give BC a chance, but also that I'll never, ever use EE. Definitely too much for me :)
I'm still "meh" on IC. It seems fun, for sure, but really doesn't fit vMC at all.
Zhil

Post by Zhil »

Battosay wrote:Funny, after watching the same vids, I decided to give BC a chance, but also that I'll never, ever use EE. Definitely too much for me :)
I'm still "meh" on IC. It seems fun, for sure, but really doesn't fit vMC at all.
Yeah, my impressions from seeing all those mods in action:

EE: Contrary to what I thought, it seems pretty balanced and fun. It is, however completely unfit for my playstyle, so I won't be using it
IC2: Definitely impressed by the tech tree progression and I would love to tinker with it. Not something I'd want in conjunction with BTW, but I can see myself using this with a BC/RP combo
BC: I've been using this before and it seems to synergize really, really well with IC2.
Portal mod: to me, the portal mod was just a gimmick. Seeing how it works with wireless redstone to create a portal room is awesome though. Problem with that is that I don't like WR because:
WR: cheap wireless redstone signals are just OP and not something I want at all.
RP: been using this for a few weeks now, RP wiring and logic gates is just plain awesome

So, what I will be playing for now:
BTW + RP: RP seems to fit BTW for me and it fits my playstyle. Haven't found any mods that really fit onto that, except functional mods like Somnia or shelves
IC2+BC+RP: This just seems like way to much fun to not try it out. It isn't my preferred playstyle, but I definitely want to give it a go.
Come join us at Vioki's Discord! discord.gg/fhMK5kx
gftweek

Post by gftweek »

gftweek wrote:
Damion Rayne wrote:...snip...
Okay, guess I haven't looked them closely enough at it to see the cost/benefits clearly, I'll take a look at the video, it may even convince me! ;)

I still have a complaint that IC2 and BC still deviate from the Minecraft look quite a lot, I suppose there are texture packs for them so they don't stand out like a 7ft woman in a polyester white suit at a black tie ball?
Okay, so I watched the first couple of episodes, and yes, now I want to play a BC + IC2 world. I still don't think they fit the vMC/BTW theme, so I will play them as though a distinct game.
Rataku

Post by Rataku »

I finally stoped being a forum lurker just to put my 2 cents in with this.

I have been watching this LP every day since ep 7 and i love it, The only mods he uses that i hadnt tried and loved before i came across this was WR, Portal, and EE.

But i gave them all a shot, and i think other than a few addons for some of the major mods I am now playing with all the mods he has in the lp together. But I plan to take the next big step and add in BTW cause now im starting to need a BTW fix to stem my addiction pains :D. (just dreading have to edit config files for Block ID's and such. Cause i refuse to touch that Elephant in the forum room thanks to the goonswarm)

some time back I ran BTW, BC, IC 1, RP, and some minors and thought the experience was great, but I made up my mind on how to do the tech tree myself back then, which was pretty much start with BTW ages and around the same time i was getting into steel i started adding in machines from IC and Pipes. I almost felt like a natural flow. But it always felt like it was missing that little bit of magic from the world, and block dispensers only staved that off so far, but i think adding in EE will be a way to round that out well.

So hopefully when i get these all working together and such, this whole mindset of a backstory i have for the coming playthrough of all these mods, will finally leave my head and stop effecting my dreams. That being a travler from another world being stranded on the world of minecraft who has to survive and rework all his primitive science to the point of escaping. only finding minor clues to how the world he is on works. Cheesy I know, But who plays games to play their normal everday life. :P