Facts About the Technic Pack

This forum is for anything that doesn't specifically have to do with Better Than Wolves
Kwilt

Facts About the Technic Pack

Post by Kwilt »

Okay, Flower and Turtles, I know we already have a topic on this. But I didn't want this to get dredged too deep. And I know I'm still just arguing semantics here, but I couldn't shoot a video without wanting to punch something. So, instead, I'm relying on my second-best media form: Writing.

- - - - -

First thing that we should cover in facts is that the Minecraft Terms of Use specifically state in Section Three, Paragraph Two, Line Three:

"Plugins for the game also belong to you and you can do whatever you want with them, including selling them for money."

I would only assume that this falls under the jurisdiction of a pseudo-copyright for all mods by modmakers. Unfortunately, because Mojang's EULA is abhorrent, there are so many loopholes that can be jumped through this line, and we can't really rely on them to umbrella us here. However, taking into consideration what this says, we can make the interpretation that a modmaker may also disallow the redistribution of their mod without specific given consent.

To actively enforce this, however, you would require some form of license. Thankfully, the guys over at MCF have given us that opportunity, and a grand total of seven mods used in this compilation mod pack explicitly state that said consent is necessary, while two are much more loose and make it a request, rather than a demand. The following list contains links to the OP of all mods which contain said license, as well as specific sections, lines, and direct quotation in regards to the control over redistribution:

Industrial Craft 2 ("Copyright": Section 2, Line 2: "Everyone else is NOT allowed to public any sort of download, though he/she may hand out links to this website/thread instead.")

Equivalent Exchange ("Copyright": Line 2: "Don't post my work anywhere, the only legitimate place this mod should be is here.")

SDK's Mods ("Terms and Conditions": Section 3, Lines 1 and 2: "This MOD may only be distributed where uploaded, mirrored, or otherwise linked to by the OWNER solely. All mirrors of this mod must have advance written permission from the OWNER.")

Better Than Wolves ("Copyright Notice": Section 1, Lines 3 and 4: "It may not be placed on any web site or otherwise distributed publicly without advance written permission. Use of this mod on any other website is strictly prohibited, and a violation of copyright.") (See also: "Note")

Mo' Creatures ("Disclaimer": Lines 4 and 5: "This mod can not be distributed in any other way than through this thread. You don't have the permission to distribute this mod through 'mod packages', installers or pluggins.")

Millenaire ("This mod is Copyright ©(2011)...": Lines 2, 3, and 5: "Only minecraftforum.net is allowed to host any of my material without my consent. It may not be placed on any web site or otherwise distributed publicly without advance written permission. [...] Works derived from this mod in any significant way, for instance by re-using the mod's source code, are forbidden without written permission."

MAtmos ("License": Section 1: "The executable content in binary form or source code form shall not be redistributed nor modified in any standalone nor packaged format from other sources than the author present them in the thread http://www.minecraft...opic/379925-173, with the exception of: - "The Facepunch Minecraft Mod Compilation" maintained by jordguitar, whom re-distribution and packaging rights are granted. Those exclusive rights can be revoked at any time.")

Eloraam's Mods ("Legal": "All my mods are copyrighted material. They may only be downloaded from the links I provide in this forum. You may download them to use and play, if you want to do anything else with it, you have to ask me first.") ("Mod Compilation Policy": Point One: "You must tell me about it. Drop me an IM, or post on this thread.")

Somnia ("FAQ": Question 3: "Q: Can I include your mod in my mod pack? A: Probably, but please send me a PM with a list of the other mods and a link to your mod pack's thread or site. I usually say yes, and if so, I will link to your mod pack in the "Mod Packs Featuring Somnia" section above.")

- - - - -

With these requests having been openly made more often than not in the form of a copyright or a license, I see no reason why all users who download the mod would not have to legally stand by these jurisdictions. Again, I would like to point out that the Minecraft Terms of Use are extremely vague, so there is no defined area of power as to what a modmaker controls in within his and/or her mod.

Those are the facts, and I can look into things more later today. For now, though, I can't get in contact with the only guy I know who would possibly be able to help me with the issues and legality of this copyright nonsense, but I will try and speak to him as soon as possible.

Image (<--------------- Click me to watch live!)
DaveYanakov

Re: Facts About the Technic Pack

Post by DaveYanakov »

In the United States, at least, this is enough to be protected by Fair Use laws. Those copyright claims are all completely legal and further protected by precedent backing up Fair Use.
Better is the enemy of Good
Magmarashi

Post by Magmarashi »

DaveYanakov wrote:In the United States, at least, this is enough to be protected by Fair Use laws. Those copyright claims are all completely legal and further protected by precedent backing up Fair Use.
While that is true, you're talking legal fees and court and seriously getting the law involved over a mod. One that, even if you went to the time and effort to get the legal process going to win, they would just rehost somewhere secret and keep it quiet a lot better. It is like stopping pirates, you're not fixing the problem you're just making them be more careful.
SCIENCE!
Battosay

Post by Battosay »

Sick of this story.
You can PM me if you have anything new KWilt.