Illegal modpack with BTW

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
Battlecat

Re: Illegal modpack with BTW

Post by Battlecat »

Yeah, I've gotta call it before I lose my mind as well. Spent a bit of time with youtube and composed an e-mail to the yogscast crew that may or may not get read. Bout the limit of my ability but I hope it helps.

Take care Flowerchild!
sargunv
Site Admin

Post by sargunv »

Don't some of these mods have banlists? I heard IC2 did.
screally

Post by screally »

Aparently downloads of the mod pack have gone from 250 to 5k+

Yogscast has already worked it's magic of disruption.
AmishGoat

Post by AmishGoat »

I believe so. But there aer ways around it of course... I think that would encourage this kind of thing. O well. I guess I'll turn in for the night as well. And thanks for the mod FC.
Trying to destroy the you with a you is futile.
DaveYanakov

Post by DaveYanakov »

We've made our points, the people who can be swayed have been. From here on out I'm just upvoting the comments that note the licensing violation and flagging the content-free flaming as spam. I need to get to the point where I can eat something again before I actually talk to anyone. Dry heaves just plain suck.
Better is the enemy of Good
Mrchaim

Post by Mrchaim »

sargunster wrote:Don't some of these mods have banlists? I heard IC2 did.
...Yes.

If you think that's going to do anything but promote further illegitimate distribution, you're dreadfully mistaken. The goons were already figuring out how to strip that out of the mods the last time it came up, and frankly, on that i can back them given that the ban-list turned the mod into effective malware (since it would render minecraft unplayable until you were able to strip out the mod in question).
HavokSCOUT

Post by HavokSCOUT »

DaveYanakov wrote:We've made our points, the people who can be swayed have been. From here on out I'm just upvoting the comments that note the licensing violation and flagging the content-free flaming as spam. I need to get to the point where I can eat something again before I actually talk to anyone. Dry heaves just plain suck.
Good luck with that. Vomiting is much worse when there's nothing to vomit.
Spoiler
Show
Brony, and proud of it
CheGiuAn wrote:ppl should have faith, not religion....
Katalliaan wrote:It's a tech shrub, more like
MagikEh wrote: D: THE SEEKRET OF SYRUPEY BEAVER NIPPLES HAS BEEN EXPOSED!!! ABORT~!~!
Folrig

Post by Folrig »

FlowerChild wrote:
Folrig wrote:Hey FlowerChild, is it this frustrating when a game you've been working on gets pirated and shows up all over torrent sites?
Not really actually, because I tend to expect that. Doing something similar to someone providing free content to begin with just boggles my mind.
That's interesting (and boggling indeed).

But, if it's all the same to you I'm going to go ahead and feel guilty about playing that pirated copy of Spore. I don't know if I'd have bought the game before I played, but after I played through once it became far less likely.

That's kind of sad really. SimCity 4 is easily one of my top five favorite video games ever. And I'm a big fan of supporting manufacturers of games I enjoy monetarily. How else would they know I liked the game?

I'll stop blubbering now.

Side note: It's nice to see a common cause (however frustrating and stupid) bring everyone out of the woodwork in support. This really is a cool tribe.
This...all of this...is just...wonky!
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

BTW: Eloraam just posted her statement on this modpack debacle. Might make interesting fuel for the overall debate.

http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/365 ... p__8707076
Zhil

Post by Zhil »

Yeah, she said in IRC that she's pretty pissed about it, but that she's getting over it quickly. She also mentioned that Alblaka will not like this either.

Perhaps the three of you can make a polite open letter attached to the Forge? Explain that the Forge was a great initiative, exactly to ensure that mods are easily installed and that violating copyrights is not the way to help the community?
Come join us at Vioki's Discord! discord.gg/fhMK5kx
Triskelli

Post by Triskelli »

FlowerChild wrote:BTW: Eloraam just posted her statement on this modpack debacle. Might make interesting fuel for the overall debate.

http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/365 ... p__8707076

Noted and reposted to Something Awful
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Triskelli wrote: Noted and reposted to Something Awful
Yeah, I've been following that thread, but I believe I should stop now. There's only so much of that crap that even I can take.

I will say that I owe thanks to the modpack creator for stating that he'd like to see me quit modding. It gives me a nice motivation to continue working on it: spite.
Triskelli

Post by Triskelli »

FlowerChild wrote: Yeah, I've been following that thread, but I believe I should stop now. There's only so much of that crap that even I can take.
*cough* Sorry for making a general mess of things over there. These guys are even worse than Wolfaboos or Yogaboos.

They actually make sense!
Brethern

Post by Brethern »

Gilberreke wrote:Yeah, she said in IRC that she's pretty pissed about it, but that she's getting over it quickly. She also mentioned that Alblaka will not like this either.

Perhaps the three of you can make a polite open letter attached to the Forge? Explain that the Forge was a great initiative, exactly to ensure that mods are easily installed and that violating copyrights is not the way to help the community?
I'm working on a email to notch requesting a TOS change.

Dear Notch,

I first off want to thank you for creating minecraft, I also want to admit that I don't always agree with the decisions that you are making concerning the development of minecraft. I also know that there are many people who feel the same way I do, frankly I know that without mods many of us would not be playing right know.

As such I want to bring something to your attention as of right now there's a illegal modpack that uses many of the big minecraft mods. While this is not your content this is involving your game and registered users who bought your game. Since I'm not a lawyer I'm going to cut the BS and get to the point. 90% of your fan base is supporting this yet the ones who are drawing people to buy your game are having their work stolen what I am proposing is this. Edit your TOS to include the following.

All tools and modifications relating to minecraft once made public become the property of mojang only the original author and staff of mojang have the permission to distribute and or edit said addon.

Well?

Note that this is subject to change feel free to add to it.
Triskelli

Post by Triskelli »

Speaking of Wolfaboos, pulled this one from my trolling:
...(seriously, nightmare-inducing cubewolves. My 8-year-old loves them, and now I'm keeping a closer eye on our pets) ...
Katalliaan

Post by Katalliaan »

I think it's better that they make sense - it means that they are intelligent enough to form a reasonable thought and possibly be willing to listen to and understand someone else's point of view, unlike the Youtube comments which seem to be a sea of flames and stupidity, with the occasional person with the capacity to understand why most of the modders whose work was used in the pack are opposed to someone redistributing without asking permission.

@Triskelli - I found that one to be pretty funny. I wonder if he's discovered the companion slab yet.
Open in case of fire
Spoiler
Show
Not now stupid - in case of fire
the_fodder

Post by the_fodder »

I think we as a group are going about this the wrong way, you cant out goon a goony-goon-goon, you will never win this by proving you are right. they will just keep on goonin'.

I will let the numbers speak for themselves.
SA forums:
7,945 registered users logged in.
157,263 users total.
BTW forums
Total members 831
Triskelli wrote: *cough* Sorry for making a general mess of things over there. These guys are even worse than Wolfaboos or Yogaboos.
They are not all evil over there and bundling them in to "y u no putt in yogbox" and "woofs are fluffy!" posts will get you behind the eight ball in a hurry.

walker_boh_65 wrote:
Stormweaver wrote:I can't help but think, if a set of config files 'pre-made' for utilizing a number of the forge mods together were posted on the Forge thread, it would take away almost the entire 'pro-modpack' arguement. They don't have much of a leg to stand on, but I'd be in full support of taking it from under them entirely.
and the BTW saves my sanity once again, i am in full support of the con-fig files

Why not beat them to the punch? Put out a Forge mod pack along side with the forge. Give it a menu kind of like MCpatcher so users can check which mods they want to use, I would say steal the one from Yogbox but you would probably take more time to recode it.. I say along side because you wouldn't want to force modders to use BTW or IC2 if they just want to use the base features of the forge.
Last edited by the_fodder on Mon Sep 26, 2011 10:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
It's FC mod, he just lets us play it.
Mrchaim

Post by Mrchaim »

Triskelli wrote:*cough* Sorry for making a general mess of things over there. These guys are even worse than Wolfaboos or Yogaboos.

I dont think you've been making a mess dood - You've been promoting some healthy debate, which is a good thing. There's defintely a lot of talking at cross-purposes going on as well as some trolling, but that's hardly surprising - I'm yet to really see any debate stay on target. Ever. And saying trolling is happening is like saying "the internet exists".

So, well played.
logorouge

Post by logorouge »

Brethern wrote:I'm working on a email to notch requesting a TOS change.

I also want to admit that I don't always agree with the decisions that you are making concerning the development of minecraft. I also know that there are many people who feel the same way I do, frankly I know that without mods many of us would not be playing right know.

[...]

Well?

Note that this is subject to change feel free to add to it.
Hm, the beginning is bit too negative. It's a bad start to criticize someone on his work before asking him a favor. But I wouldn't expect much from an email to Notch. He still hasn't answered me on if I could play Minecraft Survival offline... which I asked in December 2010. (Missed alpha waiting for that answer. Silly me.)
Azdoine may have wrote:Well, we are harvesting souls [...] Sure, they get trapped in a piece of metal, but at least they get to see the world.
Brethern

Post by Brethern »

Triskelli wrote:Speaking of Wolfaboos, pulled this one from my trolling:
...(seriously, nightmare-inducing cubewolves. My 8-year-old loves them, and now I'm keeping a closer eye on our pets) ...

So their eight year old loves the wolfcubes?

But really SA isn't the problem that was just a user trying to be helpful The yogscast is the problem here. They are the ones who have to be dealt with.
Last edited by Brethern on Mon Sep 26, 2011 10:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Xetian

Post by Xetian »

Brethern wrote:
-snip-

But really SA isn't the problem that was just a user trying to be helpful The yogscast is the problem here. They are the ones who have to be dealt with.
Their both at fault, yogs for repeat offense and the creator for defcon 5 dick behavior. If I put a tenth the time that the major forge modders put into my work and had someone spit on me and throw salt in my eyes, I would choke a bitch ASAP. The generally faggot behavior of spoiled middle class teenagers is mind-boggling.
FlowerChild wrote: Lol! Dude, I don't think any of our lives would look too good if a random 9-second clip were grabbed as an illustration ;)
Gdnite

Post by Gdnite »

The fodder has a great idea.....

This is the same way Blizzard is dealing with real world trading in diablo 3, they created the real world auction house. If all the mod creators agreed to make a mod pack (you took one step there with the creation of the forge, by making it easy to do so) and someone wanted to put in the time to make it, it would end this flame war. It would appease almost all sides, also undercutting those assholes who did it illegally.
Brethern

Post by Brethern »

Xetian wrote:
Brethern wrote:
-snip-

Their both at fault, yogs for repeat offense and the creator for defcon 5 dick behavior. If I put a tenth the time that the major forge modders put into my work and had someone spit on me and throw salt in my eyes, I would choke a bitch ASAP. The generally faggot behavior of spoiled middle class teenagers is mind-boggling.
The only reason this is a problem is that lewis saw that pack and realized this is a way for them to get back at FC and the modding community of minecraft in general.

Remember they got embarrassed quite a bit in the past by the modders.
Nobody Important

Post by Nobody Important »

The Something Awful Forum Rules wrote: Don't post links, ask for links to download, or otherwise discuss illegal copies of copyrighted works, including movies, books, software, etc.
Has anyone talked to a moderator there? That rule is usually strictly enforced, but I guess it's possible that they might just laugh at someone who doesn't have the resources to sue them into oblivion over the unauthorized re-distribution of a piece of freeware.
Katalliaan

Post by Katalliaan »

I highly doubt they'll do anything, seeing as how the post has been up there for almost a month now. Besides, that won't take the link on the Yogscast video down, just the link on the SA forums (and piss off KakerMix even more).
Open in case of fire
Spoiler
Show
Not now stupid - in case of fire