Regarding stone and tedious repetitive tasks

The place to talk about how BTW might be different
Battosay

Regarding stone and tedious repetitive tasks

Post by Battosay »

So I'm kind of a hoarder in Minecraft, I like having at least a double chest for pretty much everything I can, and I almost never throw dirt/gravel/cobble, keeping dozens of chests of those.
At the point I'm at in my current playthrough, I usually have these 3 blocks (dirt/gravel/cobble) available in very large quantity to build roads or large projects, and a smooth stone gen to provide me with infinite building materials for everything else.

Now in the current version, I've used so much dirt for animal pens that I never had more than 2 double chests of it, but considering how easy it is to acquire, and how little use it had before, there's no problem there.
For gravel, between all the piles you get while mining or chiseling smooth stone, I have so much that I started using it as a source of sandstone (thanks to piston packers and sand) and flint blocks, which is pretty cool.

But cobble, for the first time, I've had to actually go mine just for it. Ever since I was able to make stone brick blocks, I've used the 15 double chests of cobble I had accumulated since I started this world, and the prospect of having to make more in large quantity is quite daunting.
(To me it feels like stone bricks is the natural evolution to cobble : I can stand cobble in the "early" game, and with all the early-game changes this period has gone from just a few days to several months, but once you're post-Soulforge, I simply can't build stuff out of cobble anymore. So stone bricks was my default block to use at that point.)

Why daunting ? Because I've had to stop playing altogether because my wrist and fingers were becoming painful a few times already after going through the clickfest required to mass produce stone brick blocks/chopping blocks.

There's already a ton of clicking required when you're mining (I basically have to stop at the end of each newly created branch in my mine to convert all those piles into slabs, then those slabs into blocks ; or I can walk back to a crafting bench and reduce the amount of clicks required to shift click the piles straight into blocks, trading time and food for a bit less clicking), but it's nothing compared to the task of chiseling bricks and making stone brick or chopping blocks (which cost twice as much but defy gravity, making them a staple of my everyday inventory : I always have a stack of 'em on me).

It might be just me being conservative with my iron, but I don't wanna waste half an ingot of iron on 2/3rd of a stack of stone brick blocks, so I have to make my stacks of smooth stone be 49 blocks, and then spend several IG days switching back and forth between chests and inventories. I can't make them in big batches because each stack of smooth stone turns into 5 stacks of bricks+gravel, and if I don't have the space required in my inventory I have to click even more to toss them out onto the floor.

tl;dr : Between mining and chiseling, too much clicking required to make stone brick/chopping blocks, pls help my wrist.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Re: Regarding stone and tedious repetitive tasks

Post by FlowerChild »

Battosay wrote: It might be just me being conservative with my iron, but I don't wanna waste half an ingot of iron on 2/3rd of a stack of stone brick blocks, so I have to make my stacks of smooth stone be 49 blocks, and then spend several IG days switching back and forth between chests and inventories.
I mean, once you get a basic mob trap going, you have an infinite supply of iron, so I'm not sure I really get this man.

I can take a look at the numbers involved when I get a chance though.
Battosay

Post by Battosay »

Yeah I'm not really sure why either, but since I can recycle the chisel if they have a little durability left, I just feel like I have to. Might just be a habit I kept considering how important iron is for a very long part of the game ?
I don't know, that's why I brought it up, I was wondering if that was just me ^^

Also, just to be clear, my tl;dr wasn't really the best choice of word, I don't post these feedback expecting you to change stuff, it's just that, a feedback about my thoughts while playing, I hope nothing but at best to prompt some mulling over certain aspects of the game :)
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Battosay wrote: Also, just to be clear, my tl;dr wasn't really the best choice of word, I don't post these feedback expecting you to change stuff, it's just that, a feedback about my thoughts while playing, I hope nothing but at best to prompt some mulling over certain aspects of the game :)
Oh, no worries man, it's well received. Didn't sleep much last night, so I'm probably just a bit less verbose than usual :)
SterlingRed

Post by SterlingRed »

I found myself trying to save chisels as well. After a bit of gamey stacks and shuffling things around I realized, I don't really need to do that. I made the mental shift to use up chisels all the way rather than treat them as renewable and found it much easier on myself to manage.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

It might just be a matter here of making chisels non-recyclable so that people don't feel the urge to save them.

Will think further on it.