Hardercore Spawn [Spoiler Thread]

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
SterlingRed

Re: Hardercore Spawn [Spoiler Thread]

Post by SterlingRed »

Taleric wrote:After you get your overworld direction by compass it should be the same in the nether. So just pay attention to your direction when you enter and make frequent marks to keep direction as you travel.
And to clarify, the direction you the player is facing is maintained when you enter the portal. So if you're facing North when you walked into the portal from the Overworld, you're facing North when you walk out in the Nether. Even if its into the side frame of the portal. The portal orientation is NOT maintained, only the players.

When you walk into your nether portal, make sure you know which cardinal direction you're going and just place a sign in the nether when it loads on the other side.
Taleric

Post by Taleric »

Has anyone HC spawned a second time after reaching portal in tech?

Something miraculous happened. I landed at the same location!

Did anyone else get this or should I buy a lottery ticket?
jackatthekilns

Post by jackatthekilns »

I have hardercore spawned several times and have not landed in the same place yet.
Fret

Post by Fret »

So, I have noticed that the new mechanics have changed my game behaviour in a subtle way. I have become less conservative with my resources. Before, I didn’t want die, but now I really am scared of death. Maybe it’s because I got a big project going on at my main base, but I really don’t want to have to start over at a new place thousands of blocks away. (In a way a hardcore spawn is a good thing, because you get to build a new base and in the long term it really ties your world together. I like the mechanic. On the other hand, it takes hours to get back to spawn.)

So right now, I am using every tool that is available to me (I’m mid game) to make sure I’ll survive. Where before I always carried full iron, I now swapped out the chest plate for diamond (still not willing to risk a full set of diamond). I no longer try to conserve my arrows, I always carry health and regen potions on my hot bar. I slurp strength potions before any fight and drink fire resist in fire prone areas just to be sure.

Before the recent hardcore spawn change, I was afraid to lose my diamonds upon death. I didn’t want to use up the few Mysterious Glands I have, because I don’t have a squid farm yet. Before I was only willing to use the full force of my midgame arsenal in ‘special occasions’, for example a risky nether trip. Now I use it even for the most mundane tasks. Just to be safe. Just to not die. Maybe I should have been playing like this all the time xD But the recent changes triggered a subtle change in my gameplay behaviour.

Any thoughts from others? Any changes you noticed for yourself?
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Fret wrote:Any thoughts from others? Any changes you noticed for yourself?
Thanks for writing that up man. I'm always interested in hearing how the changes I've made affect people's behavior.
Taleric

Post by Taleric »

Fret wrote:Before I was only willing to use the full force of my midgame arsenal in ‘special occasions’, for example a risky nether trip. Now I use it even for the most mundane tasks.
I agree, It has opened my late early to mid game wide up.

Specifically the "tier" of HCS after the first nether portal. Before when you HCS you could experience more early play but due to the distances it made much more sense to set out back to your main base. The diamond "quest" makes the few days by compass to a known diamond unlock more tempting.

Being so much further out randomly and if you hit some non abandoned items (pumpkins in my case) it is very reasonable to fully establish. Nether travel is so hostile (I have still not tried this "ceiling" mining trick) that building up for an over world expedition, slowly making progress is more natural.

I have begun raising pigs with chocolate for the first time in organic play because nether progress is not a priority for blaze until I have connected the two bases. I say this because the first base had a fortress where the portal loaded. Even without that I might have tried to head back by portal to also fortress scout only to find it overly difficult/risky and connect the bases by over world to have added "foot hold" on the map and HCS markers.

My preseption is skewed because I put my HCS knowledge into my decisions where a newbie would have no way to know that their HCS changed. Then again someone that brand new would have their butt kicked so bad they would probably read here if they didn't just quit before long.

I will edit this post with a world map and seed I pulled up for science because I have spawned three times now in the same location after that portal HCS. I'm guessing it is the land available in a band of territory surrounding the initial spawn zone is so much water but is feels like incredible luck.

Edit: Here is that map, I guess there is just too much water, landing me in the spot three times now? (Not sure how big the 1.5.2 to 1.8 difference make in generation)
http://mineatlas.com/?levelName=STREAM+ ... unks=false