Sprint-Jumping

The place to talk about how BTW might be different
TheGatesofLogic

Sprint-Jumping

Post by TheGatesofLogic »

While dealing with a hardcore spawn I noticed that sprint-jumping, where you sprint and hold the jump key, is more efficient hunger-wise than just sprinting, and especially so on terrain that slows movement. Just an observation that seemed odd at the time.
Two feet standing on a principle
Two hands longing for each others warmth
Cold smoke seeping out of colder throats
Darkness falling, leaves nowhere to go
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Re: Sprint-Jumping

Post by FlowerChild »

That's weird. I'll take a look.
Sarudak
Site Admin

Post by Sarudak »

I have always tended to sprint jump across deserts
dawnraider

Post by dawnraider »

Just doing a bit of testing, it appears that it's because sprinting while in the air does not incur a hunger penalty. By sprint jumping, you can go up to three blocks at a time only having your hunger drained from the jump. I didn't do enough testing to actually measure the hunger impact, only going off of when the bar jiggles, but I'd assume that jumping takes less hunger than three blocks of sprinting, if that truly is more efficient.
Come join us on discord! https://discord.gg/fhMK5kx
Get the Deco Addon here!
Get the Better Terrain Addon here!
Get the Vanilla Mix TP here!
Get the Conquest TP here!
ko_teknik

Post by ko_teknik »

Sprint-jumping mean travel in the desert more safely too.
You will never fall.
Sarudak
Site Admin

Post by Sarudak »

I find myself sprint jumping over plain sprinting all the time unless I'm on a road. So basically I have three modes of travel: walking to conserve food, sprint jumping for exploration, and sprinting along roads for travel (once food is abundant). I haven't actually done any research in regards to food efficiency or time efficiency. I would be rather interested in the numbers but that's what feels right to me.
jakerman999

Post by jakerman999 »

Sprint-jumping has been my preferred way of crossing ice fields, can't say I've noticed anything about the hunger being off but upon reflection it does seem faster than it should be.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Turns out this was actually a vanilla bug. Increased hunger for sprinting was already in there, just not working.

I may tweak the values further to get it just right, but it was actually an easy fix once I realized what was happening.