a way to help reduce repeat & useless suggestions?

If you want to get banned, this is the place to post.
Rugaard

a way to help reduce repeat & useless suggestions?

Post by Rugaard »

I've noticed that the majority of the suggestions that come from posters that don't search or don't follow rules are first timers to the forum or at least first time signing in, is it possible to add a page somewhere in account creation about using the search as well as about what they should not post about on the forum in big red letters?
PuppetRebel

Re: a way to help reduce repeat & useless suggestions?

Post by PuppetRebel »

Seconded. ;D
Necropolis

Post by Necropolis »

This has already been discussed:
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1009

So...ironically...this suggestion is a repeat.
Rugaard

Post by Rugaard »

Necropolis wrote:This has already been discussed:
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1009

So...ironically...this suggestion is a repeat.
honestly i did try searching it but i couldn't find anything about it
Necropolis

Post by Necropolis »

It wasn't obvious. But it is still funny.
BigShinyToys

Post by BigShinyToys »

Might work but is is good hear most of the time, Our Moderator's catch the Repeats / Topics that Will anger FC and lock them Before it turns Bad And FC needs to get his BAN HAMMER. I kinda fee sorry for FC he has his shiny New BAN HAMMER and know one to use it on ;)
Spoiler
Show
gftweek

Post by gftweek »

Since most suggestions seem to be the first post made by many members, I wonder if the simplest approach (not sure how simple to implement though) would be to limit the suggestion forum to people who have made at least 10 posts in other sub-forums first, so they they will have gotten a grasp of the rules and read some of the previous suggestions.
walker_boh_65

Post by walker_boh_65 »

gftweek wrote:Since most suggestions seem to be the first post made by many members, I wonder if the simplest approach (not sure how simple to implement though) would be to limit the suggestion forum to people who have made at least 10 posts in other sub-forums first, so they they will have gotten a grasp of the rules and read some of the previous suggestions.
havnt we been over this before, 10 spam posts latter and bam, we have also gone over IQ tests, and l33t speak test, and a few others in the other thread of the same topic
gftweek

Post by gftweek »

walker_boh_65 wrote:
gftweek wrote:Since most suggestions seem to be the first post made by many members, I wonder if the simplest approach (not sure how simple to implement though) would be to limit the suggestion forum to people who have made at least 10 posts in other sub-forums first, so they they will have gotten a grasp of the rules and read some of the previous suggestions.
havnt we been over this before, 10 spam posts latter and bam, we have also gone over IQ tests, and l33t speak test, and a few others in the other thread of the same topic
Ah, I did read through it at the time, but missed the 10 spam post suggestion, it was a while ago so didn't want to resurrect it.
Necropolis

Post by Necropolis »

I posted a link to it 4 posts above yours.
grimper12341

Post by grimper12341 »

IQ/BTW test is still the best idea if it can be implemented. The user is forced to learn something (game mechanics and forum rules) whether they cheat or not, it doesn't generate hate, and it's not worth the effort to distribute a cracked version.
BigShinyToys

Post by BigShinyToys »

grimper12341 wrote:IQ/BTW test is still the best idea if it can be implemented. The user is forced to learn something (game mechanics and forum rules) whether they cheat or not, it doesn't generate hate, and it's not worth the effort to distribute a cracked version.
Adding a Read this in the sign up process would only HELP to lower the amount of Bad posts / suggestions BUT it would NOT cure it permanently . There will always be the 1% of people that are oblivious to the consequences of there actions and that is why FC has his turtles to control them.

BUT you have to admit it is a dame site better here hat on the old thread. enough to make it a non issue in my mind.
grimper12341

Post by grimper12341 »

Meant that it has to be done to be able to play the mod. So like, doing a questionaire before it gives you a download link, or writing a small program that won't let you unzip the mod or something until questions are done. A read this would probably get ignored just like stickies do.

And lowering isn't a bad thing, it's a step in the right direction at least.
Necropolis

Post by Necropolis »

Intelligence and maturity are two different things. Not to mention that an IQ test has its limitations. Very smart people can often make very dumb decisions, or choose not to use their intelligence, through laziness, fatigue, or absent-mindedness.
PuppetRebel

Post by PuppetRebel »

Necropolis wrote:Intelligence and maturity are two different things. Not to mention that an IQ test has its limitations. Very smart people can often make very dumb decisions, or choose not to use their intelligence, through laziness, fatigue, or absent-mindedness.
You definitely describe me to a t.
I'm a really smart guy, but I come across very aloof and absent minded on forums.
Plus on forums we're writing and not talking. I talk far better than I type.
BinoAl

Post by BinoAl »

PuppetRebel wrote:
Necropolis wrote:Intelligence and maturity are two different things. Not to mention that an IQ test has its limitations. Very smart people can often make very dumb decisions, or choose not to use their intelligence, through laziness, fatigue, or absent-mindedness.
You definitely describe me to a t.
I'm a really smart guy, but I come across very aloof and absent minded on forums.
Plus on forums we're writing and not talking. I talk far better than I type.
Haha. Depending on my mood, I either type with absolutely perfect grammar and spelling and make my point, or I just type as quick as I can and get it done. Usually, you can tell. If i type cant instead of can't, or i instead of I, you know I don't feel like being grammatically correct that day :p
grimper12341

Post by grimper12341 »

grimper12341 wrote:IQ/BTW test is still the best idea if it can be implemented
Forget about the IQ bit. A test that tests their knowledge on BTW and forum rules was what I was getting at. A person doesn't have to be smart or intelligent to read the rules and the OP (I hope). A test forces them to at least *see* the rules and OP, even if they cheat and look at the answers that someone will inevitably post.
And if somehow someone is too dumb to even cheat properly, then I don't really see a problem in losing them since they'd never be able to figure out how to install it anyway.
Necropolis

Post by Necropolis »

What exactly do you mean by "cheating?"
BigShinyToys

Post by BigShinyToys »

Q: What Douse FC stand for?
A: Flower Child.

Q: What Douse BTW stand for?
A: Better Than Wolves.

Q: What douse FC do to people that ask about Changes to the Elevator code?
A: Know body knows because know one has lived long enough to tell us.

Q: What is the fist rule for suggesting a feature
A: Use descriptive titles that sum up your idea in a few words (such as "Horse Driven Carriage"). Threads without descriptive titles will be ignored and/or locked.

Q: What is you're Bank Pin number
A: XXXX-XXXX

Q: What is FC favorite hobby
A: phallus

Something like a multiple choice with questions Like the Above would be a good idea. You need a Score of say 80% to pass. AND yes some are joke Questions.
ilovekintoki

Post by ilovekintoki »

Tbh I think the best way to deal with bad suggestions is to ignore them and wait till a mod closes it. It's not like there are that many of them anymore anyway and discussions like these and angry reactions to them only seem to add fuel to the fire. I think it's gotten to the point where this kind of stuff is causing more disruption than the actual suggestions themselves. Same goes for 1.8 spam.
Magmarashi

Post by Magmarashi »

ilovekintoki wrote:Tbh I think the best way to deal with bad suggestions is to ignore them and wait till a mod closes it. It's not like there are that many of them anymore anyway and discussions like these and angry reactions to them only seem to add fuel to the fire. I think it's gotten to the point where this kind of stuff is causing more disruption than the actual suggestions themselves. Same goes for 1.8 spam.
Sort of like burning down the forest to stop the loggers?

Wise Words.
SCIENCE!
grimper12341

Post by grimper12341 »

Necropolis wrote:What exactly do you mean by "cheating?"
Well someone is bound to post the answers somewhere at some point, which peeps will look at and use to cheat. But, they have to look at it, so they still learn something.

And BigShinyToys has the right idea, minus the joke questions anyway. It's not complex, doesn't need you to be smart, just requires a little bit of background reading which never hurt anyone.