MCForge is awesome...

This forum is for anything that doesn't specifically have to do with Better Than Wolves
Damion Rayne

MCForge is awesome...

Post by Damion Rayne »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uX4YB2Fn ... ideo_title

This guy has Redpower, IC2, BC, and BTW all running smoothly together...this along with Equiv Exchange is the number of mods I'm thinking about running...lol Forge rules...
[TG-18th] Damion Rayne
TG Instructor
Developer Relations
Content Development
"Teamwork, Maturity, Tactics, http://www.tacticalgamer.com"
M!C

Re: MCForge is awesome...

Post by M!C »

Do we need a topic to state the obvious? Yes we do! ;)
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Nice to see a positive post about this. All the bitching was getting tiresome :)
Battlecat

Post by Battlecat »

People tend to complain about things they don't understand. The forge is a fantastic idea and the results shown in that video demonstrate why that's the case.
DaveYanakov

Post by DaveYanakov »

Open source tends to always win in my experience. The only people who frown upon it are those unwilling to learn how to do more than use the file menu options. And those who sell software to that sort, I suppose. I've been very impressed by what Forge is already capable of so I'll probably have my footwear blown off by the time New Years rolls around.
Better is the enemy of Good
Damion Rayne

Post by Damion Rayne »

FlowerChild wrote:Nice to see a positive post about this. All the bitching was getting tiresome :)
I never bitched about forge FC, :) I do however adore it as a community built and run API that let's us do things like run a ton of cool mods together. Thank you for adopting it and letting BTW synergise with the other mods in MCForge. Though speaking of synergy, do you know if there are any plans on the part of the Other authors or youself to add more cross mod functions? Such as being able to use nether coal to fuel IC2 generators for twice as long And the like?

Also a not tried it yet, but can the BD pick up blocks from other mods and store them?

Anyway, MCForge is epic.
[TG-18th] Damion Rayne
TG Instructor
Developer Relations
Content Development
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Damion Rayne wrote:do you know if there are any plans on the part of the Other authors or youself to add more cross mod functions? Such as being able to use nether coal to fuel IC2 generators for twice as long And the like?
As I recently said in another thread (I think in the suggestions forum), I'm not big on cross-over functionality. Since I'd then be spending time working on stuff that only benefits a fraction of the community, and since I tend to not use other mods myself (brief experiments aside), I think the cost/benefit of such features is off.

What other mod authors do in that regard is not my business.
Damion Rayne

Post by Damion Rayne »

FlowerChild wrote:
Damion Rayne wrote:do you know if there are any plans on the part of the Other authors or youself to add more cross mod functions? Such as being able to use nether coal to fuel IC2 generators for twice as long And the like?
As I recently said in another thread (I think in the suggestions forum), I'm not big on cross-over functionality. Since I'd then be spending time working on stuff that only benefits a fraction of the community, and since I tend to not use other mods myself (brief experiments aside), I think the cost/benefit of such features is off.

What other mod authors do in that regard is not my business.
I can understand that, the reason I asked is I thought it might be in the best interest of all the authors that are part of MCForge, to build Synergistic elements into their mods. A good deal of people are using MCForge because it speaks of and shows that all the mods that use it are compatible. So to me the foundation of MCForge, 4 of the greatest and most popular mods out there would want to work together. But that's just my opinion and I hope you don't take this as my /telling/ you what to do, only giving you the thought process and reason behind bringing it up.

Regardless, BTW is still awesome in and of itself and you've done a great job and made a great choice supporting MCForge. Having people make lets plays that show EE, BC, BTW, and IC2 all working together along with Eloraams mods and Risugami's stuff, MCForge really stands in a class of it's own. So, great job FC.

NOTE: Speaking of "Synergy" there's a good deal of it already in just the base mods, and it's the reason I think more and more people will pull away from "Single Mod" purist types and move to really pushing the limits of Forge.

-DR
[TG-18th] Damion Rayne
TG Instructor
Developer Relations
Content Development
Stormweaver

Post by Stormweaver »

I'm not 100% sure on this, but I believe that The aether 1.03 is going to be a forge mod as well.

I think a large problem the forge has had, community-wise, is that the bulk of it's mods have all been technical ones; I'm not a fan of the aether myself, but the addition of it will end up with a lot of largely creative players migrating over, which will most likely force a lot of modders to switch over.

Give it another few months, and the only non-forge mods will be 'more ores and tools!!!!111' mods. imo.
PatriotBob wrote:Damn it, I'm going to go eat pumpkin pie while I still think that it tastes good.
Damion Rayne

Post by Damion Rayne »

Stormweaver wrote:I'm not 100% sure on this, but I believe that The aether 1.03 is going to be a forge mod as well.

I think a large problem the forge has had, community-wise, is that the bulk of it's mods have all been technical ones; I'm not a fan of the aether myself, but the addition of it will end up with a lot of largely creative players migrating over, which will most likely force a lot of modders to switch over.

Give it another few months, and the only non-forge mods will be 'more ores and tools!!!!111' mods. imo.
I agree with you on that one Storm, there's a few modders out there that might be reluctant to switch to Forge due to the Aether mod, but if Shock gives up being a bit a draconian "Use my mods and use my API or not at all!" douche and flips to Forge we'll see a lot of other modders follow.
[TG-18th] Damion Rayne
TG Instructor
Developer Relations
Content Development
Mason11987

Post by Mason11987 »

Damion Rayne wrote:
Stormweaver wrote:I'm not 100% sure on this, but I believe that The aether 1.03 is going to be a forge mod as well.

I agree with you on that one Storm, there's a few modders out there that might be reluctant to switch to Forge due to the Aether mod, but if Shock gives up being a bit a draconian "Use my mods and use my API or not at all!" douche and flips to Forge we'll see a lot of other modders follow.
It's funny how people on this forum constantly got pissed about the people going to the BTW thread bitching at FC to put his mod in YogBox, yet people here insult some guy doing the exact same thing with his mod.
Battosay

Post by Battosay »

Mason11987 wrote:It's funny how people on this forum constantly got pissed about the people going to the BTW thread bitching at FC to put his mod in YogBox, yet people here insult some guy doing the exact same thing with his mod.
They exact same thing ? Not really ...
But yeah, the "douche" was a bit too much imo.
Mason11987

Post by Mason11987 »

Battosay wrote:
Mason11987 wrote:It's funny how people on this forum constantly got pissed about the people going to the BTW thread bitching at FC to put his mod in YogBox, yet people here insult some guy doing the exact same thing with his mod.
They exact same thing ? Not really ...
But yeah, the "douche" was a bit too much imo.
I dunno, the guy obviously doesn't want to work to get his mods to be compatible with MCForge or be dependent on it and the concerns that come with that. Sure in this case it's about him changing his mod to work with this system, where in the other case it was FC allowing the yogs folks to distribute the mod. They aren't "exactly" the same, but they both involve a person wanting to have full control to deal with their mod as they see fit, and both are having entitled children insult them for making a personal decision about their creative product.

Calling him a douche and "draconian" (the exact words the yogs folks used to describe FC) wasn't "a bit much" it was childish and idiotic.
Stormweaver

Post by Stormweaver »

"I'm not willing to give a third party distribution rights to my product"
"I'm not willing to give the users of my mod compatibility with other large mods"

Not the same thing imo. Trying to monopolise what people can use with for-profit APIs is a little different than giving someone permission to distribute something you made.
PatriotBob wrote:Damn it, I'm going to go eat pumpkin pie while I still think that it tastes good.
DaveYanakov

Post by DaveYanakov »

I've got no beef with the guy. It's just the result of making something for profit rather than making something open source. When you set things up as a business, however small, you have to do certain things to keep it going or it fails.
Damion Rayne

Post by Damion Rayne »

Ok so I shouldn't have said "Douch" I apologize, yeesh. Secondly, he is being a bit too draconian with his making people use his Single person API. FC has supported the Forge since it's inception if I recall correctly.

@Mason: How is a "Modpack" the same as supporting an PI that makes all mods that use it compatible the same thing? The Yog's cast did in-fact give FC a good deal of praise in their video of BTW, and only wanted to share it in a group of mods with other people. FC said no, for his own reasons and good ones at that. Shock on the other hand has made his own "one person" API and stated many times, before now, that if you wanted to use his stuff and wanted your stuff to be compatible with his stuff you HAD to use ShockAPI. It's a little draconian and I'm allowed to state my opinion on it. I point you to this:
"I'm not willing to give the users of my mod compatibility with other large mods"

Not the same thing imo. Trying to monopolise what people can use with for-profit APIs is a little different than giving someone permission to distribute something you made.
@Storm: Glad you and I are on the same page here.

@Battosay: Sorry, should have worded that a little differently Batto, I can be a bit umm, passionate about things, overly so soemtimes. So again, sorry about that to all it may have offended.
[TG-18th] Damion Rayne
TG Instructor
Developer Relations
Content Development
Mason11987

Post by Mason11987 »

Damion Rayne wrote:Ok so I shouldn't have said "Douch" I apologize, yeesh. Secondly, he is being a bit too draconian with his making people use his Single person API. FC has supported the Forge since it's inception if I recall correctly.

@Mason: How is a "Modpack" the same as supporting an PI that makes all mods that use it compatible the same thing? The Yog's cast did in-fact give FC a good deal of praise in their video of BTW, and only wanted to share it in a group of mods with other people. FC said no, for his own reasons and good ones at that. Shock on the other hand has made his own "one person" API and stated many times, before now, that if you wanted to use his stuff and wanted your stuff to be compatible with his stuff you HAD to use ShockAPI. It's a little draconian and I'm allowed to state my opinion on it. I point you to this:

@Storm: Glad you and I are on the same page here.

@Battosay: Sorry, should have worded that a little differently Batto, I can be a bit umm, passionate about things, overly so soemtimes. So again, sorry about that to all it may have offended.

Again, I agreed they weren't exactly the same. But the fact is he has a mod, and he doesn't want to change it to meet some sort of external pressure, and people are insulting him. People like that are the reason this forum had to be made. I don't see why people would act similarly against other people here knowing what the impact of it is.

Obviously you can have your opinion, disagreeing with you and feeling like calling this guy a douche is childish and entitled is not me saying you can't have an opinion. It's me saying I feel that is a childish/entitled opinion, and it's funny given the reason for starting the forum you're talking on right now.

Shouldn't we grant this guy who is making a product that plenty of people enjoy the same minimal respect we request for FC? Or at least, can't we just ignore him, or simply not insult him? I don't know him or his mod at all, but he isn't hurting anyone by doing his mod how he wants is he? If you don't like it, you can simply not use it.
PuppetRebel

Post by PuppetRebel »

I would say he isn't really hurting anyone, no. However, he is making the community choose between his mods or forge mods and for some that's a tough decision. I personally think the Aether would lend itself well to some BTW functionality.

The other things is the whole "for profit" issue. You should listen to the interview with FC.
Part six he discusses forge and his feelings on specifically Shock's API. He put's better than I certainly could.
Shock has every right do do it how he is, no question, but I think it's greedy and harmful to the community as a whole.
DaveYanakov

Post by DaveYanakov »

Greedy may not be the best term to use there. He put a lot of work into his API and shouldn't be expected to work for free any more than FC or Eloraam or anyone else you care to name. That the people who put their time and effort into Forge do so for free makes it exceptional, not the norm.
Deepsniper

Post by Deepsniper »

I just was looking through the terrain.png working on my new TP and realized... If notch and jeb keep this up and keep using up all the terrain indexes forge will become more and more popular as an actual need for any modder who installs blocks and items... the number of free spots left in the game keep dwindling and quickly.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Yeah, good point. At the rate that Mojang is adding in new aesthetic blocks, we're going to run out of terrain texture indices REAL quick.
MagusUnion

Post by MagusUnion »

FlowerChild wrote:Yeah, good point. At the rate that Mojang is adding in new aesthetic blocks, we're going to run out of terrain texture indices REAL quick.
Kinda the whole point I've been making videos in the first place...
I'm not trying to come off as strong as I do. It's hard for me to personally see how I'm affecting others (even in real like).. and it makes me seem more of an ass than I want to be, so I apologize if you find what I say 'a bit rough'...
Fracture

Post by Fracture »

FlowerChild wrote:Yeah, good point. At the rate that Mojang is adding in new aesthetic blocks, we're going to run out of terrain texture indices REAL quick.
Block IDs aren't looking good either-- or did that change while I wasn't looking?
Abracadabra, you're an idiot.
MagusUnion

Post by MagusUnion »

Fracture wrote: Block IDs aren't looking good either-- or did that change while I wasn't looking?
That changed as well... vMC now uses 109 block ID's instead of 97
I'm not trying to come off as strong as I do. It's hard for me to personally see how I'm affecting others (even in real like).. and it makes me seem more of an ass than I want to be, so I apologize if you find what I say 'a bit rough'...
Zhil

Post by Zhil »

I sincerely hope Notch keeps adding lots and lots of aesthetic blocks. If he manages to use up enough, he'll effectively break modding and will have to come up with a block ID solution.

So keep bugging him about more aesthetic blocks :)
Come join us at Vioki's Discord! discord.gg/fhMK5kx