1.8 Officially Released !!!

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
Haidaes

Re: 1.8 Officially Released !!!

Post by Haidaes »

I've been playing around for a couple of hours now that I finally could settle with a seed. But I couldn't help but notice that my sheeps don't regrow their wool anymore. Furthermore every new sheep that spawns in the close proximity to my base now also spawns naked. Is anyone else having this issue ?
gftweek

Post by gftweek »

Haidaes wrote:I've been playing around for a couple of hours now that I finally could settle with a seed. But I couldn't help but notice that my sheeps don't regrow their wool anymore. Furthermore every new sheep that spawns in the close proximity to my base now also spawns naked. Is anyone else having this issue ?
That isn't an issue, they changed the game so that passive animals never despawn, once they are shorn, they don't regrow wool (they haven't since early alpha), and you don't get new ones.

You have to wait till 1.9 when animal breeding comes in, or keep going further out if you want to keep gathering wool. Likewise replacing leather armour is pointless now.
Haidaes

Post by Haidaes »

Are you sure ? I could have sworn, that previously sheep regrew their wool as long as you didn't went to far away from the hole you stuffed them in. Well maybe I went to far and another sheep spawned in its location, what are the odds of that :P ? But this makes sheers look really useless in retrospective... . Anyway this does still not explain the naked new sheep because I only sheered one after I stuffed it into my barn. The next day there were 2 more around my house though. :/.
Deepsniper

Post by Deepsniper »

Wait If animals dont depspawn and you dont get any more spawns what happens when they die of natural/stupid causes.. Like falling into lava, drowning themselves, falling off of cliffs...
M!C

Post by M!C »

Deepsniper wrote:Wait If animals dont depspawn and you dont get any more spawns what happens when they die of natural/stupid causes.. Like falling into lava, drowning themselves, falling off of cliffs...
You might need a means of transporting them over far distances to your base ...
Deepsniper

Post by Deepsniper »

I can see a lot of nice fancy new mods comming out to move these creatures XD
Katalliaan

Post by Katalliaan »

Deepsniper wrote:Wait If animals dont depspawn and you dont get any more spawns what happens when they die of natural/stupid causes.. Like falling into lava, drowning themselves, falling off of cliffs...
Then you walk far enough away so that the chunk you were in isn't loaded, and return to find that more have spawned. Animals will spawn when chunks are loaded (otherwise you'd only have something like 16 animals in your world ever), so you can use that trick.
Open in case of fire
Spoiler
Show
Not now stupid - in case of fire
M!C

Post by M!C »

Deepsniper wrote:I can see a lot of nice fancy new mods comming out to move these creatures XD
Mobs already board minecarts, don't they?
Deepsniper

Post by Deepsniper »

Yes but I meant people making minecart mods that dont just pick them up
Necropolis

Post by Necropolis »

Perhaps it's just me, but I noticed animals spawning in my world. Just very rarely. I went to sleep on an island and woke up with several pigs and cattle that weren't there before.

Oh, and I use a livestock barge to transport animals. Zeppelin. Balls to the wall.
Deepsniper

Post by Deepsniper »

Oh that is a great Idea :) just fly around in yoru fancy little zeppelin and when you see an animal hunt it down then toss him in your ark >.<
gftweek

Post by gftweek »

Necropolis wrote:Perhaps it's just me, but I noticed animals spawning in my world. Just very rarely. I went to sleep on an island and woke up with several pigs and cattle that weren't there before.
Yeah, I thought I had too, but to be honest I think they just keep wandering to other areas. Pre-1.8 there used to be a hard limit on the number of passive mobs that would spawn at all times and they would despawn when you got too far away. However I think that limit is gone, there seem to be a lot more animals around. I've taken to shearing sheep when I come across this to test it, and there aren't any unshorn sheep anymore. It does seem that animals will continue moving even though they aren't being rendered any more though.
Necropolis

Post by Necropolis »

Yes, but I had thought that when one went to sleep it just jumped to day. There would be no time for any animals to swim out to my island in the 5 seconds I wasn't looking at it.
Urian

Post by Urian »

From what I've understood they do still spawn but the mechanics have changed. They now have a chance of spawning when a chunk is updated or something like that sl if you move around a lot then that might cause them to spawn faster. They aren't restricted to only grass anymore though and can apparrantly even spawn in caves so passive mob farms are quite difficult to build (I guess zombe might be used to change the blocks they spawn on)
FlowerChild: Ice in deserts is a good idea
CheGiuAn

Post by CheGiuAn »

Animals are not spawning for me on islands.
(I used the seed 1701, and settled on the island left to the spawn island, not too small, not too big)
isn't it possible, that islands are counted to the ocean biome, and thats the reason of no animal spawning? (although tons of squids around)
'Who want's to do, will always find a solution. Who Doesn't want to do, will always find an excuse.'

'If you want to teach something, you shall be the liveing example of it.'
Haidaes

Post by Haidaes »

While we are at it, what are the conditons for wolves to spawn now ? I usually found them in woods of all kinds, but couldn't find a single one so far. Oh and where do roses spawn now ? I'm missing my red carpet :(.
Urian

Post by Urian »

Not certain about wolves, I'm taking a break from MC (catching up on other games) so I haven't tried it yet. As for red flowers, just use bonemeal on grass. Aggressive mob traps still work (just make them have only 2 blocks of empty space so no endermen spawn there) so getting bonemeal shouldn't be a problem after some time.
FlowerChild: Ice in deserts is a good idea
Haidaes

Post by Haidaes »

Urian wrote:Not certain about wolves, I'm taking a break from MC (catching up on other games) so I haven't tried it yet. As for red flowers, just use bonemeal on grass. Aggressive mob traps still work (just make them have only 2 blocks of empty space so no endermen spawn there) so getting bonemeal shouldn't be a problem after some time.
Oh of course, I completly forgot about bonemeal growing patches of tall grass with flowers, thanks alot for that reminder.
I finally found some wolves as well, just took me about 4 maps distance to find a biome that had wolves in it (lots of them as well) and looks exactly like the biome of my base, but other creatures than pigs, sheeps and cows. I still don't get why cows and sheep spawn like crazy in my swamp areas..
Mrchaim

Post by Mrchaim »

The spawning code is defiantly weird.

My current understanding seems to be that mobs spawn when you enter a chunk to update it, and quite a few of them. If you're in range of a chunk however, spawns are very rare - I've seen the occasional pig or cow, for instance. On the other hand, i still see a ton of sheep spawning, to the point I'm routinely wiping them out and still getting more spawning.

So not sure what's up there.

Meanwhile, as an aside, Watermelon is crazy good to farm - I've got a tiny little farm on the roof of my base 3x5 that produces 6 up to 6 watermelon at a time - so a minimum harvest is 18 pieces, and the maximum is 42 - Which is a ridiculous mount of slightly-inefficient food, compared to just about anything else.

(I suspect an auto-wheat farm with BTW will out do this easily, however, which sort of worries me - i mean, Watermelon already seems over-powered, if tempered by the difficulty of acquiring the seeds in the first place. Flour to bread with a decent wheat farm could be hideously powerful, and that's not even counting doughnuts, assuming they're converted into a straight up hunger-healing item.)
Haidaes

Post by Haidaes »

I made myself a normal wheat farm (prepared it to be later used as an automated hemp farm) and I only harvested it twice, giving me enough bread that I won't need anymore any time soon. With pigs beeing fairly common now and every cow dropping 3 steak, as well as chickens always (?) dropping flesh too, hunger is the laest problem of any thinking steve. The only time I really had problems with food was when I used an island seed which had no livestock at all and I started growing wheat way to late (like gathering seeds after starving down to one half heat..).
gftweek

Post by gftweek »

Haidaes wrote:I made myself a normal wheat farm (prepared it to be later used as an automated hemp farm) and I only harvested it twice, giving me enough bread that I won't need anymore any time soon. With pigs beeing fairly common now and every cow dropping 3 steak, as well as chickens always (?) dropping flesh too, hunger is the laest problem of any thinking steve. The only time I really had problems with food was when I used an island seed which had no livestock at all and I started growing wheat way to late (like gathering seeds after starving down to one half heat..).
I tried the island thing too. I like you was playing on normal, but on hard you starve to death. In order to survive (if playing ironman mode), you need to plant wheat ASAP and get string for a fishing rod or a couple of bones in the first night, luckily you can dig down to find a mineshaft and get string from cobwebs, but survival island maps are a lot harder now.