Nether portal question

This forum is for anything that doesn't specifically have to do with Better Than Wolves
OldMarriedDude

Nether portal question

Post by OldMarriedDude »

I built a nether portal on a surface lava pool cleared all the excess lava these pics are of the portal and area around it.

When I come back through the portal a new portal in the over world is created in my base

can someone please explain why this is happening? The portal is spawning under my mob spawner in my future collection area. It also happens to be spawning right between my dung chicken and cow farms. I can move the animals as nothing is automated yet, but id prefer not to have to reroute my mob spawner.
ExpHP

Re: Nether portal question

Post by ExpHP »

I'm assuming the desert portal is your first portal ever, and that you didn't move the automatically generated portal inside the Nether?

I think I see what's going on here, but I can't understand how it happened. Or rather, I've never seen it happen before.

If you can, here's a test you can perform for me: Break/disable all the portals in your base. Enter the nether. Leave it by standing in the left half of the portal. If it creates a new portal in your base, break that portal, enter the nether again, and try standing in the right half.

I'm guessing that one half of the portal will link to your original portal, as long as there are no portals in your base. If you move the portal (the one inside the nether) a block over in this direction, it will work fine.
OldMarriedDude

Post by OldMarriedDude »

ok so I took your suggestion. I took 4 trips through the portal 3 of the trips put me under my mob trap the fourth trip put me on the surface just outside of my mob trap. I was careful to make sure each time i entered the portal in the nether I did it front-right, front-left, back-right, back-left. None of the trips put me at my original desert portal.
ExpHP

Post by ExpHP »

OldMarriedDude wrote:ok so I took your suggestion. I took 4 trips through the portal 3 of the trips put me under my mob trap the fourth trip put me on the surface just outside of my mob trap. I was careful to make sure each time i entered the portal in the nether I did it front-right, front-left, back-right, back-left. None of the trips put me at my original desert portal.
Ah, that's unfortunate. The radius for portal creation (when entering the nether) is the same as the radius for portal linkage (when exiting the nether), which would imply that automatically generated portals always have at least one block that is close enough to be linked. (though perhaps this block is one of the walls of the portal rather than one of the portal blocks; I don't know how the portal is actually placed once it picks a location :P)

I think there's another way we can determine how to fix this. When entering the portal in the desert, face away from the direction of your base. After entering the Nether, go about 16 blocks forward in the direction you're facing, and build a portal. (to clarify, if the direction is diagonal, go 16 blocks horizontally and 16 blocks vertically; like most things in MC, it checks a square area) This portal should link to the desert portal.

You'll most likely have to dig through a wall or build a platform; according to the wiki, nether portals are generated in the closest possible valid location in the search radius, so there must be some reason that most of the search radius isn't valid.

(Note, however, that I am not 100% sure that walking through a portal maintains your facing. If there's perfectly walkable floor in the direction you're facing, and nothing but air or wall in another direction, try building a portal in the direction of the wall/air instead.)

If that doesn't work, I don't know what to say. :/ This is an odd case, to be sure.
erikdk321

Post by erikdk321 »

Sounds like the problem i had back in 1.8 beta, didn't ever find a solution though
OldMarriedDude

Post by OldMarriedDude »

Well all of my animals got corrupted so I simply decided to change my base around a bit. I appreciate the suggestions.
Gilberreke

Post by Gilberreke »

If you want the original portal, just do the math. Calculate the distance between the two portals, move it over in the nether. The mechanics are unintuitive, but very straight forward once you look them up on the wiki
Come join us at Vioki's Discord! discord.gg/fhMK5kx
Gunnerman21

Post by Gunnerman21 »

this is exactly the problem i had when the nether was friggin IMPLEMENTED... my god.. it still exsists...
Spoiler
Show
I am... THE TAXI MAN.
OldMarriedDude

Post by OldMarriedDude »

I think it has to do the placement of the portal in the nether. The portal spawned the side of nether mountain surrounded by lava. Sucks too because its lava for as far as i can see.
ExpHP

Post by ExpHP »

OldMarriedDude wrote:I think it has to do the placement of the portal in the nether. The portal spawned the side of nether mountain surrounded by lava. Sucks too because its lava for as far as i can see.
That actually completely makes sense. The only reason the portal would have been placed so far from its center is if there was nowhere to put it that was closer.

Most likely, the place where the portal wants to be is a short distance into the air over the lava.
OldMarriedDude

Post by OldMarriedDude »

ExpHP wrote:That actually completely makes sense. The only reason the portal would have been placed so far from its center is if there was nowhere to put it that was closer.

Most likely, the place where the portal wants to be is a short distance into the air over the lava.
Absolutely hence it is far easier to change my base around a bit. My current base is not my permanent base so I have no issue relocating animal pens and such which is far easier than dodging ghast fire balls in mid air.