Starbound Beta release (4th december)

This forum is for anything that doesn't specifically have to do with Better Than Wolves
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Re: Starbound Beta release (4th december)

Post by FlowerChild »

Yup, they've got lots of balance to do, but by current trends, it all involves making things easier :)

I think I'm on gamma right now too (just killed the robot you build yourself last time I played). It's almost like playing a different game. Ore everywhere. No real challenge to progressing. Lots of meh.

Last play through I stopped at gamma as there seemed to be no reasonable way to obtain platinum. This time I stopped because I found myself just not feeling like playing anymore.
Taleric

Post by Taleric »

Update on play observations as of 16 Dec.

Once you hit a silver pick you are kind of on a spring board to plant hopping. The game is over in a few hours of repetition from the first planet hop but I expect tail end stuff to be added.

The logs no longer working for direct fuel was good. Even better if instead of coal I had to build a compound to refine uranium. If fueling the space ship were a 1.21 gigawatt ordeal you would maximize the novelty of the warps and time planet side. The refining plant would be a hub while you try to cram as many large plutonium containment units in the ship as possible.

The play prior to weighty armor feels good. The food use is just a bit low. Being able to hop right back to the safe ship from the surface is problematic; maybe a healthy cool down or single location for use the ship is looking towards.

Think I wait stop again before the next char wipe.
murillokb

Post by murillokb »

So i'm am at the beta's final sector and it's ridiculous... i have no comments... it's just... it's cheating.

My fear is when they start balancing it people will start to whine about it and it may not change as much as it needs to be changed.

AI has big problems too, bosses are to easy to trap (every block is SFS!!) and npcs too easy to fool. At least monsters (specially flyers) are still a threat even with lvl 8 weapons.

yeah, i'm probably gonna wait a fell updates before i play it again :/
WeedFather

Post by WeedFather »

Sigh...I still wanna try it, though. Just to see what it's like, and for some of the little things in the game that I like, and of course, to build. I know it isn't worth it yet, though. If my baby sister takes an interest in it, and if it's something that will keep her from wanting me to play these Mario games that make me pull my hair out, then I most likely will get it. Character wipes and cakewalk and all.

Also, I've looked at gameplay videos, and at some points, the combat was a bit underwhelming-looking.
Abysmal

Post by Abysmal »

I guess I wont be buying this game, got talked out of it by Flower and Icy. Unless however the general direction of the game changes from easy diamonds mindset... sry icy :p
erikdk321

Post by erikdk321 »

Ill start playing again when it gets further into beta or maybe official release.
murillokb

Post by murillokb »

Looking the amount of stuff they want to add and the amount of stuff they need to balance. It may take a year before we have a full release.

At least there's tons of mods to play around :)

Edit: New update
Changelog for v. Angry Koala 23/12/2013
Spoiler
Show
A ton of new content in this update. We’ve added a bunch of new features to world generation,
which might require you to start on a new universe / your ship might be deleted. To make sure you get access to all the new
crafting items you either need to unlock sectors again or create a new character.
Also..
- Added skyrails based on Apjjms mod!
- Added a brand new weather system, moddable weather/new environment effects
- Hydrophobic objects are destroyed by all liquids
- Trees can now be planted
- Critical items stay on the ground longer
- Some new monster behaviours
- You must now be orbiting a planet to set it as your home
- Free teleportation to home planet from ships teleporter
- add acid rain, meteor showers, water collecting during storms and more
- made species mods easier to combine with one another
- add support for keysignature and keysignature changes for the abc system
- Disable speedlimit for default projectiles to fix inaccurate bullets
- New craftable turrets based on healthire’s mod
- You can now land on asteroid fields, based on hints mod
- Tech now has descriptive instructions
- Tons of Christmas stuff!!
- Pos no longer 1 hit kill you
- You can no longer breath on moons or asteroid fields without the proper equipment
- Better fix fall damage
- New barren planets perfect for building
- Gravity now varies from planet to planet
- Some planet backgrounds improved
- Existing biomes can appear with different liquid types
- You can now craft racial flags, to show you’ve been to a planet
- NPCs will now switch to melee weapons up close
- More random encounters
- Pos can now be captured
- Wiring station can now be built to access to a ton of different wiring tools
- fixed mech legs
- tons of server improvements
- more
More coming really soon!

Just gonna say this: "- Free teleportation to home planet from ships teleporter"

<cries>