Diablo fans?

This forum is for anything that doesn't specifically have to do with Better Than Wolves
TyberAlyx

Diablo fans?

Post by TyberAlyx »

Anyone here who is a fan of diablo?
Diablo 3 is near and before you guys grab your hands to it I want to share something to you:
MedianXL.
Median is a mod of diablo 2 which is a total overhaul of its gameplay. Its really fun, especially the new quest. It was even praised by diablo developers as well. link

You guys should check it out! I would hate it if you guys missed out this true mod gem.

ps. It also won the the hall of fame in moddb.com link
Stormweaver

Re: Diablo fans?

Post by Stormweaver »

I literally started a new save yesterday for the first time in about a year.

Might take a look at this.
PatriotBob wrote:Damn it, I'm going to go eat pumpkin pie while I still think that it tastes good.
Elensaar

Post by Elensaar »

Now you've gone and made me want to play Diablo 2 again... Awesome! ;)

I'll have to take a look at this. :)
Lots of planets have a north...!
screally

Post by screally »

Heh looks awesome. Pity I don't have my level 80 offline summon-necro anymore...
Whisp

Post by Whisp »

Your old necro wouldn't be of use anyway. ;)

The mod changes the characters completely, adds new skill trees, special skills, which can only be enabled with quests and other awesome stuff.
Damn now I want to play it again. ^^
screally

Post by screally »

Level 80 summon necro can take on all challengers and win (had level 28 in about 4 summoning skills, and was working my way up in the other ones)
Stormweaver

Post by Stormweaver »

screally wrote:Level 80 summon necro can take on all challengers and win (had level 28 in about 4 summoning skills, and was working my way up in the other ones)
Heh, I love summonmancers. More of a bone spear guy myself though; maxed bone spear, bone prison and corpse explosion with a handful of leftover points in bone wall gives you a tank that literally destroys everything.
PatriotBob wrote:Damn it, I'm going to go eat pumpkin pie while I still think that it tastes good.
TyberAlyx

Post by TyberAlyx »

The final patch of the mod came out last august this year since diablo 3 is near. You have to start a new character because all the skills are new. I am already level 86 and I am still not halfway through. Cap is 120 >.>
logorouge

Post by logorouge »

Good old Diablo Median. Highly recommended. The number of additional side quests is mind-blowing and the new skill trees are so refreshing in their concept. Just try to stay away from witches. :D
Azdoine may have wrote:Well, we are harvesting souls [...] Sure, they get trapped in a piece of metal, but at least they get to see the world.
Stormweaver

Post by Stormweaver »

Started a new game with this this morning, and...wow. It's different...or at least it's the first time I've been killed by a fallen. within 10 mins of starting the game.

The way skills work is a bit confusing, I'm going to have to read up on it. Nice that my necromancer's able to wield a scythe like god intended though.
TyberAlyx

Post by TyberAlyx »

nice choice! if your going for meleemancer I suggest deathlord+parasite. Though you are free to use your skills up! there is a respec potion anyways.
Mrchaim

Post by Mrchaim »

I loved D2 in the brief times i had to play it. I'm sadly unlikely to ever touch D3 - the real money trading and the always online have just destroyed any intrest i may have held in it, personally. (Living in NZ, my internet is far from "stable". Defintley not for me to want to have to always be online for what should be a game with a single player compentent).

The mod sounds interesting though - i'll have to check it out if i get a chance at some point.
FaceFoiled

Post by FaceFoiled »

The median mod is pretty pimp. Played with it for ages :) Massive diablo fan here, and really looking forward to D3.

As mentioned before, there are a few things that might shy others away from it, such as:

Real money auction house:
I really do not see how this would affect a players game. It is you that plays, and you who decides to use it or not. If someone else does use it, how does that affect your game? =) In addition this will not be available on Hardcore mode, which is the best mode anyway :P.

Online connection requirement:
Welcome to the 21st century in all honesty. I understand that certain people might like single player games//offline games. Well, to make sure that Diablo 3 will be a fair game, and not one that is overrun by bots and hacks like Diablo 2, they need to be able to monitor it at all times. The moment you make it available for offline play, is the moment you welcome the shitstorms. With this comes the constant updates, chatrooms, parties, auction house, secured access etc. It does not require you to have a 10mbit line, just a realistic stable connection.

I don't want to offend anybody that does not a stable connection or the ability to stay connected for longer period of time to play, I do understand that certain area's in countries have troublesome connections. It does suck for those people, but I think that those that do complain about that should also think about the reasons behind this requirement. It makes sense to me. :)
Whisp

Post by Whisp »

Like I probably already mentioned in the last thread. I have no problem whatsoever with being online for any character that I want to play with online (ladder or non-ladder games) eventually.
But why should I be online for a character, that will never compete or team up with others. Who the hell cares if I cheat with my single player character, if he stays single player only.
And another thing I don't like about this is that it makes it a lot harder for mods like the mentioned MedianXL to be created for D3.
Katalliaan

Post by Katalliaan »

Whisp - Blizzard actually came out and said that they don't want there to be mods for D3. Doesn't make much sense to me, since that's one of the best ways to keep people interested in your game.
Open in case of fire
Spoiler
Show
Not now stupid - in case of fire
TyberAlyx

Post by TyberAlyx »

FaceFoiled wrote: Online connection requirement:It makes sense to me. :)
Veto on this. It is probably just an online checker. It is not as if your playing on the server itself so I guess it won't really lag.
And I believe online auction has been there for quite sometime ever since diablo 2, but it is not official. There are people who wants to complete their sets so badly that they buy the items, why not make it official right? I am a late bloomer so I don't really know by the way anyways.

One thing I do hate is no mod support. I think that is self explanatory, given that I posted a mod in this thread :|
FaceFoiled

Post by FaceFoiled »

I do agree that mods could be cool after some time, don't forget that Blizzard has already confirmed future expensions though. =)

I guess that they said no to mods, as that would require them to reveal the code and open up b.net coding. Doing so, would basically put down a red carpet for the bots and hacks which nobody wants.

One of the few things that stops me from enjoying D2 at the moment, is the ongoing shitstorms in chat channels and whispers from bots.
screally

Post by screally »

I stopped liking blizzard games when activision took over blizzard

http://kotaku.com/5359567/bobby-kotick- ... ideo-games
logorouge

Post by logorouge »

FaceFoiled wrote: I don't want to offend anybody that does not a stable connection or the ability to stay connected for longer period of time to play, I do understand that certain area's in countries have troublesome connections. It does suck for those people, but I think that those that do complain about that should also think about the reasons behind this requirement. It makes sense to me. :)
Unstable connection user here. I can understand their reasons for doing it but all those reasons are multiplayer related, which I don't really care for, being a solo player only. I sure wish they would have used another method to prevent cheating/abuses, like separating online and offline characters. As it is, Diablo 3 isn't a singleplayer game with multiplayer option, but rather an heavily instanced mmo.
Azdoine may have wrote:Well, we are harvesting souls [...] Sure, they get trapped in a piece of metal, but at least they get to see the world.
Sajuuk

Post by Sajuuk »

FaceFoiled wrote: Real money auction house:
I really do not see how this would affect a players game. It is you that plays, and you who decides to use it or not. If someone else does use it, how does that affect your game? =) In addition this will not be available on Hardcore mode, which is the best mode anyway :P.

Online connection requirement:
Welcome to the 21st century in all honesty. I understand that certain people might like single player games//offline games. Well, to make sure that Diablo 3 will be a fair game, and not one that is overrun by bots and hacks like Diablo 2, they need to be able to monitor it at all times. The moment you make it available for offline play, is the moment you welcome the shitstorms. With this comes the constant updates, chatrooms, parties, auction house, secured access etc. It does not require you to have a 10mbit line, just a realistic stable connection.

I don't want to offend anybody that does not a stable connection or the ability to stay connected for longer period of time to play, I do understand that certain area's in countries have troublesome connections. It does suck for those people, but I think that those that do complain about that should also think about the reasons behind this requirement. It makes sense to me. :)
First off, D2 is 11 years old and hasn't had effective community ..."maintenance" for a long long time. Just think what the company could have been doing to preserve the online component if they wanted to. If they could make money doing it. All of the features spoken of make sense for the company and, as fans, we're expected to just eat any amount of shit and call it ice cream. Try to look objectively at this and tell me that you're supposed to buy a mostly offline game for sixty dollars and, if you don't have a connection, you cannot play it. If you state it like I don't think it makes sense.

What about when the zombie apocalypse happens and you're running your pc or laptop off a generator, how will you play D3 then? You won't. :/
And if you buy a digital copy you won't have anything to show for those 60 dollars. Not even a poor little mirror.

There was a time a few years ago when a storm blew through in the winter and the power was reconnected quickly but the cable took a damn week to come back. I wanted to pass the time but, hey, steam said I had to go online. It was before they tweaked it to allow you to play offline if you logged in previously. So I erased it from my system and didn't use the service until I heard it was changed. I do have a tendency to get indignant and exercise some illusion of consumer power and that may be evident in some of my previous posts.

I try not to let my desires interfere with my principles. In fact that's why I don't care for the auction house idea. Makes sense for the company, satisfies the desires of a majority of players, but I don't appreciate the other things it will do. Then again I won't be playing it unless my friends are all playing, since we used to LAN for D2 games. I miss the LAN party days.
screally wrote:I stopped liking blizzard games when activision took over blizzard
That was 2007 right? just about the time I started disliking Blizz too, though I didn't know about the business thing.
[ IGN = Herpingderp ]
Katalliaan

Post by Katalliaan »

Sajuuk wrote:
screally wrote:I stopped liking blizzard games when activision took over blizzard
That was 2007 right? just about the time I started disliking Blizz too, though I didn't know about the business thing.
Activision never "took over Blizzard" - they merged. Blizzard has no say over Activision's titles, and Activision has no say over Blizzard's. The merger was announced in December 2007 and happened in January 2008, though.
Open in case of fire
Spoiler
Show
Not now stupid - in case of fire
FaceFoiled

Post by FaceFoiled »

logorouge wrote: Unstable connection user here. I can understand their reasons for doing it but all those reasons are multiplayer related, which I don't really care for, being a solo player only. I sure wish they would have used another method to prevent cheating/abuses, like separating online and offline characters. As it is, Diablo 3 isn't a singleplayer game with multiplayer option, but rather an heavily instanced mmo.
That is a very well phrased and thought out reply, and you actually hit the nail on the head with that one. =)
The thing is, Blizzard has never stated that Diablo 3 would be a single player game, but kept on referring to it as a multiplayer game with single player elements. I do understand that I am being a bit biased here, being a fanboy of Diablo and Blizzard alike and not having any connection problems. I also realize that Diablo 3 with its online requirements etc. will still be craked and will most likely be available for download and played as a single player game somehow. That is just how the internet works. :P
Sajuuk wrote: First off, D2 is 11 years old and hasn't had effective community ..."maintenance" for a long long time. Just think what the company could have been doing to preserve the online component if they wanted to. If they could make money doing it. All of the features spoken of make sense for the company and, as fans, we're expected to just eat any amount of shit and call it ice cream. Try to look objectively at this and tell me that you're supposed to buy a mostly offline game for sixty dollars and, if you don't have a connection, you cannot play it. If you state it like I don't think it makes sense.
What about when the zombie apocalypse happens and you're running your pc or laptop off a generator, how will you play D3 then? You won't. :/
And if you buy a digital copy you won't have anything to show for those 60 dollars. Not even a poor little mirror.
I have recently been playing a lot of Dead Island, like 25hr + in 3 days :P. I know exactly what I would do!!! =D CHOP THEM HEADS! :P .. and eat a lot of snackbars and drink energydrinks ^_^
Sajuuk wrote: There was a time a few years ago when a storm blew through in the winter and the power was reconnected quickly but the cable took a damn week to come back. I wanted to pass the time but, hey, steam said I had to go online. It was before they tweaked it to allow you to play offline if you logged in previously. So I erased it from my system and didn't use the service until I heard it was changed. I do have a tendency to get indignant and exercise some illusion of consumer power and that may be evident in some of my previous posts.
Yep, I do understand exactly where you are comming from with this, and if I do buy a game that has single player options, I would want to be able to play it without the use of an online connection. This though, does not apply for me with Diablo 3, as I do not see it as a single player game with multiplayer options, but an online game that can be played alone in the online world.
Sajuuk wrote: I try not to let my desires interfere with my principles. In fact that's why I don't care for the auction house idea. Makes sense for the company, satisfies the desires of a majority of players, but I don't appreciate the other things it will do. Then again I won't be playing it unless my friends are all playing, since we used to LAN for D2 games. I miss the LAN party days.
I honestly think that Blizzard itself does not like the auction house idea either. It is something that pretty much goes against everything they always said about gold buying, account trading etc. However, this was always a part of the games they made through the services of third party websites. These websites were almost always part of hackers and whatnot, and generally resulted in the player losing their account and stuff. Because of that, they decided to bring this service into Diablo 3, but controlled. To remove the third party and this way greatly reduce the amount of problems players have had with this. No more dodgy websites, no more account losses.

They will indeed take a small fee for the transactions that take place, which is also the only income they generate from this apart from game sales. This revenue will then be used to polish the game, allow for ongoing support and such.

And yes, I do miss the LAN party days. =) The main games I play on my LAN parties are Diablo 2, Warcraft 3 (dota, tower defense games) and Unreal tournament (classic).
Activision did not take over Blizzard, and Blizzard did not take over activision either. They simply merged on paper. They are still seperate companies and activision has no hand in anything that Blizzard does. (Although I assume they would take on part of the knowledge from Activision when they decide/start to port D3 to the console).
FaceFoiled

Post by FaceFoiled »

Hmm, after reading my own post it kinda sounds like I am "defending" blizzard//diablo. :P Please do take it all with a grain of salt, I am just very passionate about the game and company, and have done a lot of info digging in recent year. :P I just enjoy the discussion//views of others. =)
Sajuuk

Post by Sajuuk »

That is the way it looked. At the surface anyway.
I mean, I wasn't going to poke fun just because of something like that. I didn't try to openly discredit your argument based on fandom, but I tried to use just the little prod that an investment in a company can cloud reasoning when they suddenly feed you crap and call it pie.

It's not THAT bad in this case, maybe, but everyone's seen this kind of thing happening if they've pair attention for any length of time. Eh, irrelevant anyway. Just blathering to pass the time.
[ IGN = Herpingderp ]
FaceFoiled

Post by FaceFoiled »

Yeah, I guess that is pretty much the only way to read it after all. I guess I am very biased on this after all :P I apologize if I did offend anybody in anyway. If it's out I will give an honest review and let you know if it's worthy of the Diablo name, and the glory I've been giving it so far. =D