Re-texturing for a whole new nether.

This sub-forum is dedicated to add-ons and texture packs for Better Than Wolves.
Panda

Re-texturing for a whole new nether.

Post by Panda »

So I need you guys as a community to give me some good advice on my texture pack. Ive started playing with some code for my TP that allows me to have a texture for a block in the overworld and a completely different texture in the nether for that same block, Nothing changed mod wise just using mcpatcher.

Now im not simple retexturing the nether blocks ohh no, im retexturing everything outside the nether to have a nether version within the nether. I have some ideas such as in the nether oak wood is a dark dead gray instead of the manila collor it normally has, stone bricks are more of a red stone color and logs has a dark ashy outside like theyve been burnt alittle.

Im basically retexturing the game in the nether for a more enriching experience, Ive always felt overworld things look like an eye sore in the nether and that really bothers me.

So my question to you guys is:

Tell me how you think all the overworld block would look in the nether?
Please format answers as:

Spoilers> Block name: visual description, (optional) why u think it would look like that in nether
Never say no to Panda.
Whisp

Re: Re-texturing for a whole new nether.

Post by Whisp »

Logs: I think it would be fitting for the wood blocks to appear dry or even charred : I think it's kinda strange that the nether is a hellish world where lava flows everywhere and water evaporates as soon as it touches the ground, but logs stay as fresh as in the overworld. While it's probably difficult to texture them dry, another thought is to make them charred. You could account for different hardness levels by letting the hardest one only show a small charred spot here and there and the softest to be a mostly black block with the original texture barely recognizable.
Rob

Post by Rob »

Way to follow directions Whisp. :P

Great idea Panda. I'd like to add at least one suggestion to the cause.
Spoiler
Show
Mossy Cobble and Mossy Stone: The moss might be recolored/textured to resemble nether groth snaking through it.
Companion Cube: Make it look like The Beast. Because, why not?
Water Source: Red tint. I know this requires hacking in source blocks of water. But, I want my blood rivers. :P
Panda

Post by Panda »

Rob wrote:Way to follow directions Whisp. :P

Great idea Panda. I'd like to add at least one suggestion to the cause.
Spoiler
Show
Mossy Cobble and Mossy Stone: The moss might be recolored/textured to resemble nether groth snaking through it.
Companion Cube: Make it look like The Beast. Because, why not?
Water Source: Red tint. I know this requires hacking in source blocks of water. But, I want my blood rivers. :P
Did the growth ide thanks!!
Never say no to Panda.
DiamondArms

Post by DiamondArms »

Hmmm. Is it possible to "reverse" it by making blood wood and leaves paler in the overworld(being outside their natural environment) but sharper in colour in the nether(as they should be)?

Other than that I think pottery should get ash layered on them.
Panda

Post by Panda »

Also I'd you guys wanna submit textures and they are good there's a great chance ill use em
Never say no to Panda.
DiamondArms

Post by DiamondArms »

Just curious, what Software do you use for texturing?

I might try my hand at creating some textures, but it'll just be existing textures from your pack photoshopped together. I can paste the PSDs and textures somewhere(like dropbox). I can skip the PSDs if you don't use them.
eternal8phoenix

Post by eternal8phoenix »

Ooooh...sounds awesome.

Heres some ideas I have
pumpkin
Show
Pale yellow and withered looking. Very sickly. I can't imagine they cope well in the heat.
jack o lantern
Show
Ghast face. Pumpkins are known to have a degree of life to them as demoonstrated by golems needing them. This nature plus the corruption of the nether makes me think they'd share the screaming soul faces of the ghasts.
0player

Post by 0player »

Cobbles in cobblestone could melt together and form some very rough but solid surface.
Mycelium and Grass could be depicted with thin red veins, as if they are infected by Groth.
+1 for pumpkin/lantern suggestions.
Foxy Boxes

Post by Foxy Boxes »

For Blight in the nether, how about a deep purple. A nice royal purple'd contrast nicely with the rich red of Groth.
On the internet you can be whatever you want. It's surprising so many people choose to be stupid.
Wafflewaffle

Post by Wafflewaffle »

Can we get something with bones? Bones look pretty cool in the heat of the nether, but I cant really corner what kind of material fits bones but my thinking goes along the way:

Sandstone
Spoiler
Show
Replaced with a mess of bones, as they where just bundled together as a clot, think cobblestone with bones
Smooth Sandstone
Spoiler
Show
A more refined mess of bones, as if someone carefully made a block out of bones, my mind-eye sees bones in vertical oriented fashion as to simulate a column
Chiseled Sandstone
Spoiler
Show
MORE BONES!!! But now with a prominent skull etched or placed in the center of the block, hinting back at the creeper face from the chiseled sandstone it self
Sandstone is a really underated building material that doenst fit all that well aside from desert constructions, but on the nether it looks really weird. So yeah bones!
Oh great, now nothing can stop the inbred train

Paradox Interactive:
CHOO CHOO!
CreeperCannibal

Post by CreeperCannibal »

Saplings and Small Plants:
Spoiler
Show
Burn the tops of the grass just a bit given the intense heat and infect the rest of it with the groth. I would imagine the same could be done for saplings, grass, hemp, ferns, ect.
Cacti:
Spoiler
Show
These evil green towers of pain reveal their true nature as giant, man eating worms in the nether; with large black spikes and a dark pink fleshy body. Possibly mouths at each end if you so choose.
"Kneel says the demon light
With its eye of coal
Sauron knows your license plate
And stares into your soul"