Any way to run treecapitator with BTW

If you're having problems with your installation of Better Than Wolves, or if you've woken up in the future and are beginning to doubt the nature of reality, here's the place to post about it.
Slev

Any way to run treecapitator with BTW

Post by Slev »

I've been playing BTW more as I've gotten back in to Minecraft. I also know Treecapitator has always been frowned on as easy-mode, etc. I don't argue with that. That being said, I enjoy many of the difficulty increases included in BTW, but don't enjoy the hardcore trees personally. Is there a method of getting treecapitator to work with the new hardcore tree cutting?
Vexalor

Re: Any way to run treecapitator with BTW

Post by Vexalor »

I'm afraid that there is not. As you said, use of mods which allow for the easy felling of trees are heavily frowned upon here, primarily because the vast amount of time it takes to bring down all that wood, especially with no tools, is a major factor in game balance. If you could do it quickly, that would defeat the purpose of Hardcore Wood and the attempt by FC to encourage tool use rather than punching wood and, additionally, use of increasingly good tools. This encouragement is accomplished almost entirely by means of making clearing trees take frustratingly long periods of time with low-quality tools. Further, from a technical perspective, this is not possible without overwriting FC's changes in the game code. Very soon, installing extra mods with BTW will become nigh impossible as FC removes Modloader support and moves to his own API.

In short: no. It is not in any way possible in terms of technicality, and, if it were, it would likely ruin much of FC's intended gameplay balance and your gameplay experience.
weldaSB

Post by weldaSB »

I would suggest that you try to play through the mod without a mod like treecapitator because it destroys the careful balance of better than wolves. If you need to use it, I would suggest that you use one that only works with axes and not fists and bases the attack time and damage time based on the number of wood blocks in the tree (like terra firma craft) but a mod that does this would remove any reason to have a treecapitator mod. FlowerChild has spent hours balancing minecraft, and hardcore trees is part of this balance. Try it without, you may find you enjoy it a lot more.
MoRmEnGiL: In the grand scheme of things, if you hate pickles in your burger, you can always remove them and go on.
Slev

Post by Slev »

Treecapitator actually does by default force you to use axes.
Vexalor

Post by Vexalor »

Even so, it would still destroy game balance by making stone axes overpowered compared to FC's intentions. Anyhow, my point is that it is impossible anyways, so there is no need to discuss this.
ExpHP

Post by ExpHP »

A treecapitator mod really isn't necessary. Bring ladders when cutting down trees to get any floating tops, and once you're able to, start using a real axe; Iron and diamond tools in BTW are, in general, faster than in vanilla, and the difference between a stone axe and an iron axe is night and day.
DiamondArms

Post by DiamondArms »

My suggestion: Just drop it.

Sure it's convenient, but even if you could run it, it also bugged up charcoal production. with the importance of renewable coal dust and torches later on, it would just screw you over. it's only worthwhile to save time in the early game, while late game you should have either tree farms or plantations where you can take your time cutting logs. If you want to get all the wood, just grow a large jungle tree and leave it long enough to allow the vines to fill in. you can get all the logs easily.

If speed is your issue, just take some gold and make an axe. enchant it with unbreaking. chop wood at the speed of light.
Marasambala

Post by Marasambala »

Additionally, there are ways to automate wood production later, because of the BTW tech tree. Hardcore wood is a great motivator to move in that direction. Tree Capacitor would completely ruin any reason to develop that bit of automation.
Sometimes I think everyone else is smarter than me, then I realize everyone else is smarter then me.