Zombie Gaming Discussion

This forum is for anything that doesn't specifically have to do with Better Than Wolves
DaveYanakov

Re: Zombie Gaming Discussion

Post by DaveYanakov »

http://www.penny-arcade.com/report/arti ... -of-a-game
http://www.penny-arcade.com/report/arti ... emples-for

Uninfected humans seem to be a large part of the challenge but I kind of like games where zombies are as much of a backdrop and mirror as they are a direct threat.
Better is the enemy of Good
Zhil

Post by Zhil »

DaveYanakov wrote:zombies are as much of a backdrop and mirror as they are a direct threat.
That's the whole premise of The Walking Dead (the comics, not the horrid TV series). I like that premise. Thanks for the links, will read.
Come join us at Vioki's Discord! discord.gg/fhMK5kx
Moocher

Post by Moocher »

die2nite is what I consider an ideal zombie game. Unfortunately the game suffers from a lack of dedication from the player-base at large. I find that player attention quickly wanes, much like in other free, longform web games such as Neptune's Pride. A shame, really, as I haven't found a game that really captures the tension I find most compelling in zombie movies.

I'm pretty hopeful for Dead State, though! It's like they spoke to my soul.

And one more for what could have been.
Pucc

Post by Pucc »

It's fairly old but it's along the lines of the Sate of Decay i.e. zombie survival, is the Day Z mod. Not played it myself but it looks fairly terrifying and has some interesting realism aspects to it, anyone played it got a review?
mazer246

Post by mazer246 »

Pucc wrote:It's fairly old but it's along the lines of the Sate of Decay i.e. zombie survival, is the Day Z mod. Not played it myself but it looks fairly terrifying and has some interesting realism aspects to it, anyone played it got a review?
Its an amazing little mod, and even has a multitude of mods for the mod. But a mod has its limitations and a standalone has been in development for a while now, with an alpha that will be available for purchase soon. As for the mod, you really need a group to play with. It helps with a lot. Also the developer has a lot of similarities to FlowerChild. Almost like a FlowerChild from an alternate universe. Really excited to see how the standalone is going to turn out. That and RTH are the only 2 games that I am waiting on.
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.
~Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy
Zhil

Post by Zhil »

Pucc wrote:It's fairly old
We seem to have a different way of looking at the words old/new if you call Day Z old :)
Come join us at Vioki's Discord! discord.gg/fhMK5kx
Ulfengaard

Post by Ulfengaard »

Deadlight is on sale on Steam, which makes this a bit of a dual post, but this thread seems the better place.

Has anyone played this zed game? Worth buying? Reasons?
Awfulcopter wrote:...nothing says harmony with nature better than leaves that bleed. AMIRITE?
dawnraider wrote:I think we need to stop asking how stupid people can be. I think they're starting to take it as a challenge :)
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Ulfengaard wrote:Deadlight is on sale on Steam, which makes this a bit of a dual post, but this thread seems the better place.

Has anyone played this zed game? Worth buying? Reasons?
Meh. I bought it on sale awhile ago (might have been part of a bundle, can't remember). Played it a couple of hours (not to completion), then never felt compelled to play it again despite my zombie fetish.

It's a *very* linear platformer at its core, and I did not find the puzzles present to be anything more than the "oh...now I must do the obvious" variety, with the occasional "oh...now I need a frustrating level of timing in order to get past this bit". I also remember running into a couple of checkpoints that were placed right before long stretches of nothing, followed by a very tough bit, which is one of my hugest pet peeves in level design as it ensures you'll have to repeatedly run through the nothing before getting past the tough bit. There were also a few places where what was an interactive object and what was part of the background was far less than obvious, thus turning those segments into "hunt the pixel".

It's fairly pretty, it has zombies, but I found the gameplay to be distinctly "meh".

Oh, and way too much story/cut-scene bullshit. I remember that as well.
Svartwolf

Post by Svartwolf »

never been a zombie fan, so haven't played much zed games, and I'm not sure about what makes a good zombie game, but as long as zombie games go, while i enjoy some L4d1 and 2 matches with friends, i have to admit that i have had way more fun with killing floor playing with friends against an horde.

Plus, beating the waves on higer difficulties need actual well executed teamplay, and when you are the last survivor of a wave, you can touch the pressure.

as far as the best survivor vs horde experience i have had ever? not exactly a zombie game, probably Alien Vs Predator 2 multiplayer game mode mutant, or something like that.

the premise was simple, the whole server starts as one race (usually humans) except one individual which starts as the mutant race (usually aliens). if the individual kills someone, that guy respawns as an alien and now he has to help the mtant to spread.

the matches started usually with a group of marines moving in a nomadic way covering their backs and looking with flashlisghts that dark corners of the ceiling, while trying to find anything abnormal on the motion sensor radar, unless one by one they start disapearing.

then when you are a group of only four marines is where the survival really start! regardless to say people who cheated with the gamma brightness being able to always spot the aliens made teh experience way less fun, while being with your last human companion locked in a closed corridor firing every last shot of your ammo to a black sea advancing to you by floor, walls and ceiling, until you run out of bullets and pray that the horde picks your mate first... that really was a great gamplay experience.. : D

Tried to replicate the experience on the last avp game free demo, but the game felt awkward : c