Wybia bar on forum

If you want to get banned, this is the place to post.
Deepsniper

Wybia bar on forum

Post by Deepsniper »

This is an Idea and suggestion... I was wondering what people thought of the wybia bar, and would it be nice to have on this forum.

Here's a link to it.http://www.wibiya.com/
screally

Re: Wybia bar on forum

Post by screally »

not that web 2.0 bullshit >.>

Why does it seem like nobody else is satisfied with a clean, crisp, simple forums where the content is more important than the flashy addons
Deepsniper

Post by Deepsniper »

Well I think it might be interesting to have seeing as the amount of people logged on the server everyday as well as the amount of discussions that happen on this as well this could clear up a nice chunk of the tech support if people ask questions live rather that many posts over and over.
sargunv
Site Admin

Post by sargunv »

screally wrote:not that web 2.0 bullshit >.>
You do realize that a forum is web 2.0? Web 2.0 means that the content on the site is generated by the users, instead of users viewing static content put up by the people who made the site. Forums, blogs, and any kind of social networks are web 2.0.

OT: I can't see any downsides to adding this, other than possibly hurting compatibility with mobile browsers. The chat looks like it could be useful, and the like and +1 buttons may satisfy people who wanted a forum rep button on threads in the suggestions forum. I'll ask FC about it.
grimper12341

Post by grimper12341 »

screally wrote:not that web 2.0 bullshit >.>

Why does it seem like nobody else is satisfied with a clean, crisp, simple forums where the content is more important than the flashy addons
That ^

We don't need that darn facebook/twitter crap.
Stormweaver

Post by Stormweaver »

I wouldn't mind seeing a chat window attached to the forums; there are some things that are just too small to make a topic about. Too much more than that though...simple is good. I like simple.
PatriotBob wrote:Damn it, I'm going to go eat pumpkin pie while I still think that it tastes good.
Triskelli

Post by Triskelli »

Bleh.

If this was somehow tailored to the Forum itself it wouldn't be so bad, but I'm sure people here don't want to connect to Better Than Wolves through their Facebook, Twitter, or Google+.
Damion Rayne

Post by Damion Rayne »

No no no, I hate that bar thing. Please don't sarg..
[TG-18th] Damion Rayne
TG Instructor
Developer Relations
Content Development
"Teamwork, Maturity, Tactics, http://www.tacticalgamer.com"
Deepsniper

Post by Deepsniper »

To be honnest I use this on another forum and I made myself a twitter account just for my online games seeing as all my user-names are Deepsniper or something of the like it works.

As for someones comment asking if they needed to on it no you dont you log in and can use it when logged in you can log out anytime you want. And yes I think maybe the Wybia bar might be a bit out of BTW ideal... but I chose that one because its the only one that I knew of.
Triskelli

Post by Triskelli »

Hrm... There was a nifty (but damn-ugly) chat program that could be posted in a forum itself. I used it WAAAAAAY back in 2007 or so with an old forum I used to visit. Damned if I can remember what it was called, though...

*EDIT*

Well! After trawling through some long-dead boards and shedding a tear or two at friends since lost... I found the application. It's called xat, and it should be super easy to implement on the forums.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~`

For those that have been left behind, we shall never forget you.
Image~Image~Image
Conscript Gary

Post by Conscript Gary »

Oh god no, I come to a forum to write and read grammatically-complete posts, not to see how many twits have dug the reddit off of their facetubes.

I will agree that this community is in need of decent instant-chat medium (an irc or such), but a bar with a dozen ways to 'like' something that just so happens to have a chat function tacked on is not nearly the best way.
Kwilt

Post by Kwilt »

Maybe it's the coffee adding overreactive rational to my list of perks this morning, but I'd like to point out that nobody has given a reason why the bars shouldn't be used other than they hate them.

To be honest, I don't see what harm there is. Nobody is forcing you to use it, and it's not like it's some obnoxious static item that takes up literally half a page. I see no active faults in it being used and being utterly ignored by a majority of the user base.

Also, it is plenty help for those who want to get word out about this forum and/or the mod by itself. Spread something by word of mouth, and you'd be surprised by the results that come afterward. Granted the whole idea of BTW can already be spread by word of mouth manually, but this helps to automate the process in a way.

So if you want to know my opinion, I don't know how often I'll use it. But I see no foul in adding it at all.

Image (<--------------- Click me to watch live!)
BigShinyToys

Post by BigShinyToys »

http://sourceforge.net/projects/pjirc/
http://www.pjirc.com/

This is a Simple IRC system (If you are looking for one) But i have a bad feeling it is no longer being devloped . it is used here. http://www.serebii.net/chat.shtml
This is how it looks.
Spoiler
Show
screally

Post by screally »

KWilt wrote:Maybe it's the coffee adding overreactive rational to my list of perks this morning, but I'd like to point out that nobody has given a reason why the bars shouldn't be used other than they hate them.
Do you do things you hate? I hate mushrooms. I don't eat them. They're good for me, but I still don't eat them.

Nobody is giving a good reason why we should use it. Currently we have a null state, any change should require a reason.

And sargunster, I meant specifically that kind of 2.0 crap. RSS feeds, twitface linking, etc. All the shiny-winy stuff that was shoved at us when it came out.

A few people have mentioned it already, but I'll just reiterate. If we do find ourselves in need of a chat medium, an IRC is more than sufficient.
Kwilt

Post by Kwilt »

screally wrote:
KWilt wrote:Maybe it's the coffee adding overreactive rational to my list of perks this morning, but I'd like to point out that nobody has given a reason why the bars shouldn't be used other than they hate them.
Do you do things you hate? I hate mushrooms. I don't eat them. They're good for me, but I still don't eat them.

Nobody is giving a good reason why we should use it. Currently we have a null state, any change should require a reason.

And sargunster, I meant specifically that kind of 2.0 crap. RSS feeds, twitface linking, etc. All the shiny-winy stuff that was shoved at us when it came out.

A few people have mentioned it already, but I'll just reiterate. If we do find ourselves in need of a chat medium, an IRC is more than sufficient.
Not to make an argument out of this, but I think you missed my point where I said you don't have to use it. I mean, if a minimal GUI interface really pisses you guys off so much, I'm slightly frightened. However, when someone like moi, who literally lives through Twitter and YouTube, has access to these types of tools, I'm partial to using them when need be.

As such, it would be beneficial for myself, because I can keep track of the boards without actually being on the boards through feeds. Like I said, if you don't like it, you don't have to use it.

Deepsniper

Post by Deepsniper »

Yes ok some of you might not like the idea of having a constant thing showing but interesting enough some of the things like Wybia follow you through all the threads so you can continue to chat all while browsing the forums... No one is forcing you to use it either as that kinda of bar can be hidden to just a little box at the bottom of the screen if you want...

As for those who said no one is giving anything to say its good well here is something to think about/.... All the people who post in the threads tech support when it can be easily fixed can log on and if someones there they can be helped without having long discussions about it... As much as our suggestion and ideas is good this chat could help with that sub-forum as well because we could actually discuss ideas in the thread. There's a lot you can do with it...

A lot of people that I know of logged into Diego's channel from time to time even when he's not there just to chat away with other people. The fact that there's an instant chat can also help along with people who want to say something but are afraid of what FC would say or even what the turtles would think. That chat can be nicely used to discuss things with people...

Anyways so like I said no ones going to force you to use it just don't say you hate it and say no think of the other uses it can be. And like I said it doesn't have to be a Wybia bar i just liked the idea because I use it with another forum so know how it works... We could use another one like IRC but really I wouldn't want to open another window or ta in my browser just to chat with people... The fact that the wybia bar follows you through the forum is a nice alternative to that when people like me like to read every single thread...
Triskelli

Post by Triskelli »

The problem isn't utility, it's anonymity. Some people don't want to associate their Facebook page filled with personal information to a forum where they go by a completely different username. And I don't think it's worth the trouble to set up a second Facebook page for my persona of Triskelli... That kind of defeats the purpose of social networking in the first place.

Now from what I can see, Wybia could be useful for the forums... if it allowed people to sign in anonymously. Since it doesn't, I think we should stick with an IRC or other chat client, and set it up as a directed link visible from the Board Index

I recommend http://xat.com/. What it lacks in polish it makes up for in simplicity. =]
screally

Post by screally »

Problem number 2 is that it's just the start. Next we'll have another little addon, or this little plugin, etc.

Problem number 3 is its clutter. It's distracting and annoiyng. Yes it's small, but so are toolbars which you find (usually en masse) on certain people's computers which also drive me up the wall... Sounds like I'm being selfish, but at a guess most of the people here are probably of a similar mindset.
Kwilt

Post by Kwilt »

screally wrote:Problem number 2 is that it's just the start. Next we'll have another little addon, or this little plugin, etc.

Problem number 3 is its clutter. It's distracting and annoiyng. Yes it's small, but so are toolbars which you find (usually en masse) on certain people's computers which also drive me up the wall... Sounds like I'm being selfish, but at a guess most of the people here are probably of a similar mindset.
I highly doubt a slippery slope would ensue when this is the first time anything like this has ever been suggested.

And by that logic, I think avatars and signatures are clutter, so I don't think the forums should have them either. Just plain old text.

Yeah, I'm being nitpicky, but I guess it's that I've been on too many forums that use similar tools and I've never seen a single problem resulting from them. I just don't understand what the whole fuss is about.

Deepsniper

Post by Deepsniper »

I'm sure one toolbar in the bottom right corner of your screen that sits there and doesn't bother you can't hurt really... And as for people sharing personal information and stuff Its as hard as putting in 5 minutes of your time to make a twitter account that you can have for your gaming life... I did it and I know a lot of other people who did it and they don't even check that account for stuff either they just use it to log on to the chat and have nice discussions with people...

If someone can find another kind of web based chat that's part of the browser and doesn't force ya to re log back in every time you change pages be my guest but as of right now I really don't see any huge deal with the Wybia bar. Ive been using it for 4 months now and nothing bad has happened... The windows that everyone whines about can be hidden and the facebook/twitter stuff can just as easily be ignored...

As for the +1 stuff never really noticed it till now nor did I really bother or care with it...
Camerinthus

Post by Camerinthus »

Triskelli wrote:The problem isn't utility, it's anonymity. Some people don't want to associate their Facebook page filled with personal information to a forum where they go by a completely different username. And I don't think it's worth the trouble to set up a second Facebook page for my persona of Triskelli... That kind of defeats the purpose of social networking in the first place.

Now from what I can see, Wybia could be useful for the forums... if it allowed people to sign in anonymously. Since it doesn't, I think we should stick with an IRC or other chat client, and set it up as a directed link visible from the Board Index

I recommend http://xat.com/. What it lacks in polish it makes up for in simplicity. =]
Please no. I abhor Xat chatboxes. They look like they were made by a 5 year old, sorry.

If you want a chatbox, get an integrated chatbox using AJAX built-in to phpBB.

Something like this:
http://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopi ... 0&t=543789

Or there's a bunch of other chatbox mods for phpBB:
http://www.phpbb.com/customise/db/find- ... %5D_1-sc_1

(Personally, I like SMF much better as a forum but whatever)
IGN: Camerinthus
sargunv
Site Admin

Post by sargunv »

I'll look into what we can use for chat. I believe there was already an IRC channel, but I don't know what happened to that.
joetalbot1

Post by joetalbot1 »

Deepsniper wrote:I'm sure one toolbar in the bottom right corner of your screen that sits there and doesn't bother you can't hurt really... -le snip-
Oh, no. I absolutely despise little flash toolbars at the bottom of the page. I'm serious. No sarcasm. I just hate them. How about we just go with a goddanm IRC. Surely that would work better.
Bucket list:
Visit Antarctica. check
Nearly cause a flame war over MLP. check
Cost Flowerchild some sanity. check
Say,"I've seen everything, now to die." why would I?
Battosay

Post by Battosay »

I don't understand why all this hate towards this kind of thing.

I wouldn't use it, that's not something I want, but if some people would like it, why the hell not ?
As long as you can turn it off, and choose not to use it.
It's not like it's gonna burn your computer if you don't use it.
Zhil

Post by Zhil »

joetalbot1 wrote:How about we just go with a goddanm IRC. Surely that would work better.
We already have an IRC channel...
Come join us at Vioki's Discord! discord.gg/fhMK5kx