Better Wolves Spoiler thread

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Re: Better Wolves Spoiler thread

Post by FlowerChild »

<makes some popcorn>

This is beginning to get good :)
GeckoDragon

Post by GeckoDragon »

Actually it may be of note that the wolves aren't howling at only the full moon, i only bring this up as i thought it was funny that i never saw them do so. They would even howl at the new moon for example.

Is this going to turn out to be some sort of werewolf thing where they turn during the full moon, but if that was the case why did only one turn. More importantly why didn't my wolves come and help, or did i leave them sitting? If it was indeed during the night of the full moon then it would explain why i was indoors with them, but then why did i respawn during the day.

I remember so little and have little opportunity for testing, the resultant paranoia from the event can only further hinder research.
CueballSWR

Post by CueballSWR »

I can't remember when or where exactly i lost my little wolf companion. All I know is when i found him again he was in my pottery shop and all but one of my villagers was dead. I saw a black wolf chomping to get out at me with a full belly so I opened the door and obliged him with my sword. Only thing I can figure is that he got killed by a zombie in the bottom of my shop maybe and he got turned. May not be the case, I just know I had a couple zombies roaming around in the back side since i didnt light up all my inner workings that well. Still cant figure out how to make some pink booties for them, maybe he wouldnt have turned on me had I dressed him right. Still weary of letting another one follow me for any length of time til i get my villagers all back. I only say that i think a zombie turned him because i got rotten flesh from him instead of a wolf chop.
Six

Post by Six »

CueballSWR wrote:Still cant figure out how to make some pink booties for them, maybe he wouldnt have turned on me had I dressed him right.
There have been some great releases in BTW history, but this one might very well be my favorite.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Six wrote: There have been some great releases in BTW history, but this one might very well be my favorite.
Thanks man! I definitely had a lot of fun working on it :)
ExpHP

Post by ExpHP »

Seems yellow booties just make them run faster.

EDIT: Oh, and maybe orange? It's tough to tell because they never run in straight lines. :/ I need to set up a raceway.
myrkana

Post by myrkana »

hehe it's driving me crazy trying to find the recipe for the socks o.O
Rawr :D
jecowa

Post by jecowa »

ExpHP wrote:Seems yellow booties just make them run faster.

EDIT: Oh, and maybe orange? It's tough to tell because they never run in straight lines. :/ I need to set up a raceway.
I wonder if orange gets a speed boost because it is half yellow. Maybe by mixing colors, you are also mixing the bonuses received.

It seems like it would be lots of work to test there speed. I would put the wolves in there own cages all an equal distance from me. Then I would punch a sheep and push a button to simultaneously open their cages to see which comes to kill the sheep first. Maybe there's a less complicated way to test it, though.
ExpHP

Post by ExpHP »

jecowa wrote: I wonder if orange gets a speed boost because it is half yellow. Maybe by mixing colors, you are also mixing the bonuses received.
Although in my tests, lime green doesn't create the green dung, so I don't think it's that simple.

Anyways, I just assumed they were faster because whenever I've got them all chasing me, the yellow and orange ones usually end up leading the rest. I'll keep testing.

EDIT: Nevermind, I'm an idiot. Finally left my base, and it's pretty obvious now that Orange ignores terrain speed.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

ExpHP wrote: Although in my tests, lime green doesn't create the green dung, so I don't think it's that simple.
Spoiler
Show
Maybe if you change your system date to St. Patrick's day?
Also, don't forget guys: your speed tests should taken into account differing terrain types. Maybe the colors have something to do with reducing movement penalties? *hint* *hint*
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Hehehe...I like it. I've been doing a play-through of the early game today, and as luck would have it, I seem to have spawned in a rather large Taiga biome.

I have some wolves in the vicinity, and today, one showed up outside the door of my cave, and the livestock in the region has slowly become depleted through my hunting. I'm extremely fucking nervous at the moment as a result :)

EDIT: Ah! And now he's howling in the night and freaking me out! Ok...feature victory :)

EDIT 2: And ah! He now apparently has a friend that's howling in response. I'm so fucked...

EDIT 3: I do believe that was just 4 wolves that responded on that last howl...
ExpHP

Post by ExpHP »

Last time I heard a howl, dinner started running towards me. I think I am okay with this.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

ExpHP wrote:Last time I heard a howl, dinner started running towards me. I think I am okay with this.
I don't even have any cloth armor man. I am definitely at the bottom of the food chain right now ;)
Vexalor

Post by Vexalor »

Alright, usually I wouldn't post in a spoiler thread because a) I like to test and discover things for myself and b) I have a sneaking suspicion that many of my presumptions about features will be wrong. However, this time I have set up a small outpost base at the meeting point of a forest and taiga with only a few basic stone tools to test these changes. I honestly haven't even tried to find the recipe for the new doggie accessories; I am way to scared of whatever these other changes to wolves are to care at the moment. Here are my discoveries currently:
Spoiler
Show
Wolves will eat any mob (passive mobs at least, not sure about others) if they are hungry and become angry not just from being attacked by a player but also from hunger.

Upon eating rotten flesh, wolves will slowly turn into a Dire Wolf (I accidentally dropped some flesh while baiting a fishing rod, resulting in my unexpected death, but it could be coincidence).

To tame a wolf with bones it must not be hungry.

Tamed wolves will not get angry due to hunger.

Tamed wolves will only become angry due to the wolf chop thing.

Untamed wolves will also become angry during the night during certain phases of the moon for no reason at all (maybe just a coincidence?).
I am still totally in the dark on the whole howling thing. I keep hearing the howls and it is really freaking me out, but I don't know what's going on. If I'm wrong on anything somebody please tell me!
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Vexalor wrote:I keep hearing the howls and it is really freaking me out, but I don't know what's going on.
Well, don't feel bad...it's current really freaking me out, and I know exactly what's going on :)
Vexalor

Post by Vexalor »

Yep, wolves are definitely getting angry during the full moon and not during the other phases (obviously barring attack and hunger). And the fact that it's freaking you out only freaks me out more... ;)
Foxy Boxes

Post by Foxy Boxes »

FlowerChild wrote:
Vexalor wrote:I keep hearing the howls and it is really freaking me out, but I don't know what's going on.
Well, don't feel bad...it's current really freaking me out, and I know exactly what's going on :)
You mean the knowledge of what's happening is scarier than the uncertainty? Oh god I'm going to enjoy this.
On the internet you can be whatever you want. It's surprising so many people choose to be stupid.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Foxy Boxes wrote: You mean the knowledge of what's happening is scarier than the uncertainty? Oh god I'm going to enjoy this.
No, I wouldn't say that. I'd REALLY love to be able to experience this without knowing what's happening.

However, what's a pleasant surprise for me is that I'm *still* being freaked out despite knowing what's happening :)
Vexalor

Post by Vexalor »

So far my only observation regarding howling is that the wolves are only howling at night. I originally thought that they only howled at the full moon, but I've heard them howl at other times now, too.

The one thing that I can't figure out, though, is what is the impact of howling? It's definitely spreading amongst wolves replying to one another, but does howling cause wolves to aggro? Or is it meant to be a sort of warning that there are wolves nearby, especially when there is a full moon out which seems (I believe) to aggro wolves regardless of if they are hungry? Back to testing I guess... I'm also wondering if aggroed wolves will spread thier state to other nearby wolves, as I have definitely been attacked by a pack of them.

Time to test.
Mud

Post by Mud »

FlowerChild wrote: EDIT 3: I do believe that was just 4 wolves that responded on that last howl...
So howling signals other wolves to your location? That's pretty brutal.
Gunnerman21

Post by Gunnerman21 »

Couldn't you use the far off howling wolves to your advantage? If you have enough meat, i guess you could feed them to make them happy, then tame them for your profit. But i can't test right now..
Spoiler
Show
I am... THE TAXI MAN.
ExpHP

Post by ExpHP »

Huh.

I just remembered that Wolves are interdimensional beings capable of teleportation.

.........huh.
TheGatesofLogic

Post by TheGatesofLogic »

ExpHP wrote:Huh.

I just remembered that Wolves are interdimensional beings capable of teleportation.

.........huh.
We all must now start to read Jeremy Robinson books.
Two feet standing on a principle
Two hands longing for each others warmth
Cold smoke seeping out of colder throats
Darkness falling, leaves nowhere to go
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Yeah, I think it may be time for wolves teleporting to their owner to finally get the big axeroo. It just doesn't fit anymore.
Pucc

Post by Pucc »

"I hope you're wearing your heat-be-gone booties."

Edit: all this talk of booties has reminded me of my favourite comedy series ahh.