What is an early game mob trap design

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
DukeCunning

What is an early game mob trap design

Post by DukeCunning »

Hi All,

I read in another thread about someone talking about their early game experience. It seemed to me that they were building an early game mob trap (EGMT). I am curious, What would be examples of such a thing. Like I have stated before, I FINALLY built my FIRST mob trap and it worked great but I would like to see what an EGMT would be like; the easier/simple the design, the better.

Thanks in advance.
Taleric

Re: What is an early game mob trap design

Post by Taleric »

How early? I really enjoy building MTs in general and could slap one together at any stage. Depending on the drop rates you need, it will just be a matter of spawning pad size and how much of the surrounding area is lit up.

I have many great designs depending on location, resources and desired drops.
Kazuya Mishima

Post by Kazuya Mishima »

I haven't finished my early attempt myself but when Flowerchild first released hardcore hunger i started a new world and spawned near a jungle. One of the first tools i made where shears which i put to use cutting vines and covering little sink holes around my base exit. My intent was to surround the ground level exit of my subterranean base with a simple fall trap and then have murder holes i could access at night or during the day to get purified skele/zombies, sorta like a moat but with but a moat enemies would fall in.
DukeCunning

Post by DukeCunning »

Taleric wrote:How early? I really enjoy building MTs in general and could slap one together at any stage. Depending on the drop rates you need, it will just be a matter of spawning pad size and how much of the surrounding area is lit up.

I have many great designs depending on location, resources and desired drops.
DukeCunning wrote:Hi All,

-SNIP-

What would be examples of such a thing; the easier/simple the design, the better.
As Early as possible.

Thanks in advance.
Kazuya Mishima wrote: -SNIP-

surround the ground level exit of my subterranean base with a simple fall trap and then have murder holes i could access at night or during the day to get purified skele/zombies
This is the only thing that I can think of.

Thanks,
milkmandan

Post by milkmandan »

I like to make a moat around first permanent shelter if possible, but one that flows into a drop of 22-23 (I can never remember exactly). That way they're easily punchable to kill to get experience since you likely won't have a way to collect drops automatically. Although, if you do that it's pretty much imperative to add a spider filter to avoid them clogging up the drop.
FlowerChild wrote:
Ribky wrote:What did you do with bonemeal? And can I mix it with clay and smear it on myself for instant growth?
You'll be receiving an email soon with instructions on how to order my patented instant growth formula.
SterlingRed

Post by SterlingRed »

milkmandan wrote:. Although, if you do that it's pretty much imperative to add a spider filter to avoid them clogging up the drop.
Cacti are an effective way to kill spiders in any mob trap. Put them in corners and inside large vertical walls with a 2 wide gap for a spider to get stuck in. It's not 100% effective but it's cheap and easy.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

SterlingRed wrote: Cacti are an effective way to kill spiders in any mob trap. Put them in corners and inside large vertical walls with a 2 wide gap for a spider to get stuck in. It's not 100% effective but it's cheap and easy.
That destroys items too though doesn't it?
milkmandan

Post by milkmandan »

Spoiler
Show
FlowerChild wrote:
SterlingRed wrote: Cacti are an effective way to kill spiders in any mob trap. Put them in corners and inside large vertical walls with a 2 wide gap for a spider to get stuck in. It's not 100% effective but it's cheap and easy.
Only if the items hit it. if you rig the water flow right, most won't so you'll get more than enough string/eyes.
FlowerChild wrote:
Ribky wrote:What did you do with bonemeal? And can I mix it with clay and smear it on myself for instant growth?
You'll be receiving an email soon with instructions on how to order my patented instant growth formula.
SterlingRed

Post by SterlingRed »

FlowerChild wrote:
Usually I set it up so that the cacti are part of the wall or corner at least a block higher than the water flow. So sometimes spider drops are destroyed, sometimes they fall into the water stream to be collected. Generally the loss is acceptable to me considering the alternative is no spiders at all, or a clogged trap severely impacting spawn rates.
DaveYanakov

Post by DaveYanakov »

I had a basic fall trap near my front door that I was starting to dig out but I have a feeling that I'm no longer going to be able to get it deep enough for lethal damage. Your best bet is probably going to be to just build a normal tower sytle mob trap and then increase its productivity as you light up caves in search of iron.
Better is the enemy of Good