Issues locating multiple strongholds with eyes of ender

If you're having problems with your installation of Better Than Wolves, or if you've woken up in the future and are beginning to doubt the nature of reality, here's the place to post about it.
Six

Issues locating multiple strongholds with eyes of ender

Post by Six »

OK, I am not sure if this is something vanilla going on here, if there is a BTW problem, or if maybe I'm just stupid.

I've been trying to search out for the strongholds on the official server and am thoroughly confused. I've gone out to multiple points across the world to throw eyes of ender, but no matter where I have tried they always seem to point to the same SH. This map shows the issue:
Spoiler
Show
The X is spawn, the end points of the lines are where I've thrown eyes from and the direction they traveled in, and the circle is an ~2km radius around the known stronghold (the theoretical maximum distance from one stronghold to another).

I guess it is possible I goofed on the line from the south and the other holds are down there, but other people in that area have said that the western hold is the closest to them.

Anyway, I've come to the point of questioning if the eyes are actually working correctly. Has anyone else had success with having eyes lead them to multiple different holds in recent BTW?
SterlingRed

Re: Issues locating multiple strongholds with eyes of ender

Post by SterlingRed »

I've encountered this in ssp before. The only way I could get an eye to lead to a different stronghold was to do two things: 1. Activate the known portal. 2. Be far from the known portal when searching for the next one.

Strongholds generate approximately 120 degrees apart centered on spawn. That helps locating the others.
Marasambala

Post by Marasambala »

SterlingRed wrote:Strongholds generate approximately 120 degrees apart centered on spawn.
Not spawn, but 0,0...according to MC wiki. That could make a significant difference.
Sometimes I think everyone else is smarter than me, then I realize everyone else is smarter then me.
Six

Post by Six »

SterlingRed wrote:I've encountered this in ssp before. The only way I could get an eye to lead to a different stronghold was to do two things: 1. Activate the known portal. 2. Be far from the known portal when searching for the next one.

Strongholds generate approximately 120 degrees apart centered on spawn. That helps locating the others.
Huh, well I'm pretty certain Batto has activated at least one of them, so perhaps the other two have already been activated and the eyes no longer point to them?
SterlingRed

Post by SterlingRed »

Eyes will always point to a stronghold activated or not. What I'm thinking is they are biased to unfinished portals and they only indicate one at a time. So currently it's indicating the one I found and until it's portal is finished, it may not indicate the third unknown one. /theory
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

I haven't touched the eye code, so its behavior should be vanilla.