Show us your Silverfish Farms!!

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
ehsanmp

Show us your Silverfish Farms!!

Post by ehsanmp »

I have searched through the forum in detail, checked the "Show Us Your Builds" thread, and read every topic with silverfish in the title, and every post with silverfish and farm in it.

Yet weeks, possibly a month since Hardcore Silverfish came to the game, no one seems to have come forward with any designs/builds at all!

Given that they are farmable, and that they have the potential to provide great quantities of clay and efficiency scrolls, for the sake of us all,

Redstone gurus, Mechanical Maestros, Please show us your silverfish farms!

Given the total lack of content associated with this on the forums, I feel it warranted a separate thread from the SUYB thread.[/i]
Last edited by ehsanmp on Wed Mar 27, 2013 2:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
skrat6009

Re: Show us your Silverfish Farms!!

Post by skrat6009 »

I would suggest avoiding the hard to read colors in your post.
ehsanmp

Post by ehsanmp »

skrat6009 wrote:I would suggest avoiding the hard to read colors in your post.
Lol, I tend to get carried away with them :P
tom_savage

Post by tom_savage »

After spending a little time, I managed a little trap that would passively collect stray silverfish into cobblestone blocks...but I'm not sure where to take it next as I don't know much of the mechanics of silverfish in The End. The trap was easy enough, with a piston, BB, and BD it registers when a silverfish takes over the stone block, pushes the block out with the piston, and sets up another 'bait' block. It would be a slow process, but this could collect silverfish, but like I said, not sure what to do after that.
ehsanmp

Post by ehsanmp »

tom_savage wrote:After spending a little time, I managed a little trap that would passively collect stray silverfish into cobblestone blocks...but I'm not sure where to take it next as I don't know much of the mechanics of silverfish in The End. The trap was easy enough, with a piston, BB, and BD it registers when a silverfish takes over the stone block, pushes the block out with the piston, and sets up another 'bait' block. It would be a slow process, but this could collect silverfish, but like I said, not sure what to do after that.
Yeah I did something similar, add a buddy to recognise the "infection" block update, then pickup the block with a BD, over what at the time was a glass tube. The key thing to automating this is going to be that picking up a silverfish block doesnt drops the fish and takes the original block AFAIK.

the circuit was small enough, but the problem with it is silverfish just dont spread fast enough!
Unless there is something wrong with how my level 4 obsidian beacon is set up.

From what I gathered from that experiment, to get a good output, much like mossy cobble farms, you need to do it on a larger, more inaccurate scale.

ONE idea I have had, but not implemented as of yet, is a Battosay-style moving floor from his old video on Mossy Cobble farms, over a waterflow to harvest the silverfish. since BDs take the stone and drop the fish, it might just work.

tom_savage

Post by tom_savage »

My biggest problem was not knowing how the "breeding" of silverfish works. If you could harness their breeding mechanics into a system, you'd be golden.
BlackCat

Post by BlackCat »

I already have a system planned out for one when I can get my hands on the game again :/

Basically you have a 3 state block replacer wherein upon breaking it replaces and upon updating it removes the floor (hopper) and then it would do nothing upon placing.

This would allow you to easily filter and modularize your silverfish farms.
Ribky: eh, maybe kinda iffy at first, but you grew on me like a glorious tumor of innovation
Detritus: A whole lot of walls decided they wanted to give you a hug, but you're allergic to walls

My Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/illogicallycompact
milkmandan

Post by milkmandan »

From my experimenting, it seems that they don't breed. Just every so often, an infected block gets eaten, the bug pops out and leaves behind clay and gravel.

I just did a BD/piston combo that pushes stone out into an open area with water flowing over top. Stone getting pushed in place pops the drops up into the stream so they wash down into a collection hopper. Nearby is an obsidian portal to keep up with the losses (some of the silverfish get pushed all the way down to saws before managing to get into another block).
FlowerChild wrote:
Ribky wrote:What did you do with bonemeal? And can I mix it with clay and smear it on myself for instant growth?
You'll be receiving an email soon with instructions on how to order my patented instant growth formula.
nmarshall23

Post by nmarshall23 »

Has anyone noticed if silverfish prefer some stone blocks over others?

I'm not sure, currently running a test. But I think that Silverfish like stone bricks. Or it could be my imagination.
Ulfengaard wrote:BTW by FC: Fixing vanilla, one version at a time. :)