BTW 4.60 - HC Spawn Not Randomizing

If you're having problems with your installation of Better Than Wolves, or if you've woken up in the future and are beginning to doubt the nature of reality, here's the place to post about it.
Mud

BTW 4.60 - HC Spawn Not Randomizing

Post by Mud »

Since the update, HC Spawn seems to be moving me to a random location upon my first death, but reliably returning me to that new spawn point each death thereafter. I've tested this in multiple worlds with the same results.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Re: BTW 4.60 - HC Spawn Not Randomizing

Post by FlowerChild »

HC Spawn doesn't give you a random location *every* time. There's a cooldown period. If you're dying multiple times in quick succession, you'll keep going back to the same place.

This is to prevent people exploiting the system by intentionally dying if they don't like where they respawn, or to use the system as a means of moving around quickly through death.

Thus, what you're experiencing is likely entirely normal, you're just dying more frequently.
Shengji

Post by Shengji »

FlowerChild wrote:There's a cooldown period.
That cooldown period is longer than you'd think as well, I (stupidly) reported this as a bug earlier full well knowing about the mechanism! You can get a surprising amount done and still be within the time! This is not a criticism or a veiled suggestion, I reckon the balance is about right between players who would abuse the HC respawn to get a better one and players who die frequently and find it easy to navigate home.
7 months, 37 different border checks and counting.
Mud

Post by Mud »

Ah I was not aware of this cooldown period, and hadn't seen it mentioned on the wiki.

Thanks.
SterlingRed

Post by SterlingRed »

Mud wrote:Ah I was not aware of this cooldown period, and hadn't seen it mentioned on the wiki.

Thanks.
Keep in mind the wiki is not law. Its player maintained and often not entirely up to date. Part of the wonder of btw is leaving a lot for the player to discover so those of us who have been around longer try not to spoil to much. The only official documentation of the mod is the mcf op.
ExpHP

Post by ExpHP »

SterlingRed wrote:The only official documentation of the mod is the mcf op.
I'd say there's an even more important and comprehensive piece of documentation: The change log, included with the mod in readme.txt.

In this particular case, it only hints at the cooldown period (where HCS prevents "idiocy like intentional suicides," which ought to be a red flag for you if you were killing yourself to test HCS). But for any behavior that is different from what you expect, it's good to Ctrl+F the changelog before assuming it's a bug or other sort of problem.

*points discretely at latest thread on Bug Reports*
dawnraider

Post by dawnraider »

Not to mention that the MCF OP is not always up to date. FC said himself that there is a lot of stuff that still needs to be put in or modified, so only use that for general reference.
Come join us on discord! https://discord.gg/fhMK5kx
Get the Deco Addon here!
Get the Better Terrain Addon here!
Get the Vanilla Mix TP here!
Get the Conquest TP here!