France or Germany?

This forum is for anything that doesn't specifically have to do with Better Than Wolves
Larmantine

France or Germany?

Post by Larmantine »

Hey guys.

So I've got this opportunity to study as an exchange student in one of many Europe's universities. I am studying English philology with German as a second language. So I have revised my options and I can't choose between France and Germany. There are numerous pros and cons in both of them. Any suggestions?
weldaSB wrote:Edit: grammer
Ulfengaard

Re: France or Germany?

Post by Ulfengaard »

Larmantine wrote:Hey guys.

So I've got this opportunity to study as an exchange student in one of many Europe's universities. I am studying English philology with German as a second language. So I have revised my options and I can't choose between France and Germany. There are numerous pros and cons in both of them. Any suggestions?
Ermahgerd. How did you ever find a philology program?!? I guess in Europe. I'm so jealous. I wish I could've taken my degrees in philology.

I would go to Germany. The immersion will be good for your second language, and I loved it there. Beautiful countryside, decent folks for the most part, and very open to speaking English and helping with the German.
Awfulcopter wrote:...nothing says harmony with nature better than leaves that bleed. AMIRITE?
dawnraider wrote:I think we need to stop asking how stupid people can be. I think they're starting to take it as a challenge :)
FaceFoiled

Post by FaceFoiled »

If you do German as a second language, it would make sense to go to Germany. :P
Battosay

Post by Battosay »

Well, it's not a legend, here in France most people speak really poorly english, or even any other language than french :p
Besides that, it's cheaper to get a room in Berlin than in Paris (like 30% off what you'd pay in France), it's easier to find a job, if you need to work every now and then, but the food is a tiny bit more expensive in Germany.
Medical services are both at a standard you'd expect in a *rich* country, but in Germany you don't have the same overload issue as in France.
Pack a lot of cigarettes if you smoke, it's horribly expensive in both (>6€).

And if you're move confident in German on top of that, I think it's an easy pick :)
Just make sure that both programs are equivalents though ;)
Rianaru

Post by Rianaru »

The German food that I've had is completely fantastic, compared to French food, which I don't really have a taste for. That's just my personal tastes though, but I'd say Germany.
FlowerChild wrote: -----

A short while later:

FlowerChild: What is this pussy shit?
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Rianaru wrote:The German food that I've had is completely fantastic, compared to French food, which I don't really have a taste for. That's just my personal tastes though, but I'd say Germany.
Oh ho. Thems fighting words :)

Personally, I love the cuisine of both countries. If you're going to critique food, let's stick to the English which I think just about everyone can agree cook up cardboard ;)
Larmantine

Post by Larmantine »

Well, I can't actually speak very fluently in German. If would still take any chance by speaking English there. Although I have heard some stereotypes about French and that they dislike speaking any other language. Well I have been to France before, can't say that I totally agree with that. Also Germany seems to be cheaper. But I find France more beautiful in culture, people, food and other general things.

Still, I have to create three priorities with universities, but I am quite certain that my top priority won't fail, so I can't decide what to put there between France and Germany. I also have thinking about Spain and Denmark, bet they aren't my priorities.
Rianaru

Post by Rianaru »

FlowerChild wrote:If you're going to critique food, let's stick to the English which I think just about everyone can agree cook up cardboard ;)
+1 lol

A short while later:

Larmantine

Post by Larmantine »

Hmm. Now I am lingering more towards Germany... Although the uni that I would go to in Germany is apparently is in a relatively small town (Vecht) in the middle of nowhere, however in France, I would study in the University of Gules Verne. Which I find more prestige.
Mac

Post by Mac »

While it is true that smoking is kinda expensive, but if one does not mind the "strong" stuff, you can go for
cigarillos "mini cigars". they are quite a lot cheaper than regular smokes.

On a side note, are you sure the city is called "Vecht"?
Since I could not locate it within Google-maps, so i assume you meant the city of "Vechta" which
is about 30 to 40 km away from Bremen which is your regular big city. Furthermore, bus or train connections
should be well available.

But ultimately it is your choice where to study.
FlowerChild wrote: Personally, I love the cuisine of both countries. If you're going to critique food, let's stick to the English which I think just about everyone can agree cook up cardboard ;)
Never was over there, but the rumors seem to be true after all ;)
My Youtube channel.

FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Mac wrote:Never was over there, but the rumors seem to be true after all ;)
Yeah, I've briefly been. After my first few meals, I tried to stick exclusively to fish & chips ;)
Larmantine

Post by Larmantine »

Mac wrote:While it is true that smoking is kinda expensive, but if one does not mind the "strong" stuff, you can go for
cigarillos "mini cigars". they are quite a lot cheaper than regular smokes.

On a side note, are you sure the city is called "Vecht"?
Since I could not locate it within Google-maps, so i assume you meant the city of "Vechta" which
is about 30 to 40 km away from Bremen which is your regular big city. Furthermore, bus or train connections
should be well available.

But ultimately it is your choice where to study.
Oh I am sorry, that was just a typo. Yes it is called Vechta. I am already considering Germany. And that smoking thing... Yeah I guess I should bring the allowed amount of cigarettes with me. Since they cost here about 4 dollars/ 3 euros. Or even less if my math isn't correct
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Larmantine wrote:Since they cost here about 4 dollars/ 3 euros. Or even less if my math isn't correct
I must admit a single manly tear rolled down my cheek with the above :)

I don't even want to contemplate how much of my monthly budget goes to smokes.
schubeast

Post by schubeast »

Remember, things are a lot closer together in Europe. So it sounds like Germany is your best bet, since it sounds more habitable towards daily living, which leaves France a train away if you want to indulge in that culture.
haphazardnuke wrote: "Quick and Easy" is incompatible with Better than Wolves. Try using the patch, "Sense of Accomplishment".
Battosay

Post by Battosay »

Larmantine wrote:Yeah I guess I should bring the allowed amount of cigarettes with me. Since they cost here about 4 dollars/ 3 euros. Or even less if my math isn't correct
There's no more limit on the amount you can carry across the border in the EU ;)
Since 2006 the Commission is giving strikes to several contries, especially France, because those laws are going against the free exchange of commodities and several EU laws. But you still get in trouble for carrying to much on the French border :/ But that's getting off-topic ^^

And don't start me on the food, I'll get angry ;)
Shengji

Post by Shengji »

FlowerChild wrote:
Mac wrote:Never was over there, but the rumors seem to be true after all ;)
Yeah, I've briefly been. After my first few meals, I tried to stick exclusively to fish & chips ;)

Wow, just wow. I mean, we brought you the pot noodle, pork scratchings, jellied eels, the deep fried mars bar, spam, mechanically recovered poultry, powdered soup.... what does France have, oooh fresh bread that only lasts a day because they use yeast to rise it and don't chug it full of vinegar! Germany with their so called world renowned sausages - what's wrong I ask you with Walls microwavable bangers (Not legally allowed the word sausage on the pack).

Did you even try tripe while you were over here?
7 months, 37 different border checks and counting.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Shengji wrote:Did you even try tripe while you were over here?
Hehe...no, I can't say I did. I also took a pass on the blood pudding :)
Shengji

Post by Shengji »

FlowerChild wrote:
And what's wrong with a bit of congealed blood and fat with your breakfast may I ask...

(Let me take this moment to remind you of the time that I disgusted this whole forum with my story about the himalayan tribe who leave their family cow with a gaping wound dripping blood into a bucket, which they mix with the cows milk as their main food source)
7 months, 37 different border checks and counting.
The Lord of Brick

Post by The Lord of Brick »

Germany. Definitely.

I'm the Doctor. I'm a Time Lord. I'm from the planet Gallifrey in the constellation of Kasterborous. I'm 903 years old and I'm the man who gonna save your lives and those of six billion people on the planet below. You got a problem with that?
Mac

Post by Mac »

Shengji wrote:
FlowerChild wrote:
And what's wrong with a bit of congealed blood and fat with your breakfast may I ask...

(Let me take this moment to remind you of the time that I disgusted this whole forum with my story about the himalayan tribe who leave their family cow with a gaping wound dripping blood into a bucket, which they mix with the cows milk as their main food source)
Let's just stop the food-fight, before we reach the inevitable point of no return.
Battosay wrote:
Larmantine wrote:Yeah I guess I should bring the allowed amount of cigarettes with me. Since they cost here about 4 dollars/ 3 euros. Or even less if my math isn't correct
There's no more limit on the amount you can carry across the border in the EU ;)
Since 2006 the Commission is giving strikes to several contries, especially France, because those laws are going against the free exchange of commodities and several EU laws. But you still get in trouble for carrying to much on the French border :/ But that's getting off-topic ^^
Did a bit of poking on the Interwebs.
For personal information purpose only:
German Customs
European Coustoms union
My Youtube channel.

Rianaru

Post by Rianaru »

The Lord of Brick wrote:Germany. Definitely.

SWEET NECTAR OF LIFE!

A short while later:

DaveYanakov

Post by DaveYanakov »

British cuisine: At least we're not Iceland

Am I the only one here who actually likes haggis?
Better is the enemy of Good
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Rianaru wrote: SWEET NECTAR OF LIFE!
What? Vomit?
Rianaru

Post by Rianaru »

FlowerChild wrote:
What? Vomit?
Yup! Sweet, warm, black licorice flavored vomit :)

A short while later:

Ribky

Post by Ribky »

My stomach gets flashbacks when I even see Jagermeister.... I definitely painted a wall with that stuff in my youth. Worst thing is I really like it... but it is almost immediately rejected by those treacherous internal organs nowadays. Jager bombs on the other hand... they make my burps taste like bubblegum, and that's delightful. :D
The spice must flow...

[03:28] <Detritus_> Weird, I'm still logged in her