What's the last new vanilla feature you really used?

This forum is for anything that doesn't specifically have to do with Better Than Wolves
FlowerChild
Site Admin

What's the last new vanilla feature you really used?

Post by FlowerChild »

Just curious about this one, as it's a question I just found myself asking myself.

I honestly can't really remember. It seems like for a whole whack of releases, I've only built a single instance of something, just to see what it looked like, then stored it in a chest to never be touched again. Either that, or I completely redesigned how the thing worked for use in the mod (like beacons).

I guess technically I've used potatoes and carrots, as I've eaten them on occasion when I've found them laying about, but even then I can't say I've *really* used them as it's not like farming them became a thing for me.

Upside down stairs maybe?

So yeah, what's the last one you guys really made use of?
Ulfengaard

Re: What's the last new vanilla feature you really used?

Post by Ulfengaard »

Can't remember. I used to be really jazzed in the early days with each new version of vMC. Now, I get really jazzed about new BTW releases, and I groan when vMC updates. There's nothing in the new versions I want, and it just means I have to re-mod the file. Granted, it only takes a minute, but it's unnecessary. I wish they would just finish it already.

EDIT: I did make use of the upside-down stairs. I suppose that counts. I don't know, man. It's been a long time.

EDIT2: Okay. I remember, now. I use writable books pretty regularly for tracking large projects. I forgot they were a feature because I had used them in a mod for a long time before they made it into vanilla.
Last edited by Ulfengaard on Sat Mar 09, 2013 8:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Awfulcopter wrote:...nothing says harmony with nature better than leaves that bleed. AMIRITE?
dawnraider wrote:I think we need to stop asking how stupid people can be. I think they're starting to take it as a challenge :)
Battosay

Post by Battosay »

Command block, but that's for Adventure maps.
Other than that it's small things, mostly aesthetic, like the item frames, the flower pots and the sideway logs ^^
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Battosay wrote: Other than that it's small things, mostly aesthetic, like the item frames, the flower pots and the sideway logs ^^
Ah yes. Item frames are something I use. I like to put up wall-mounted clocks in each of my bases :)

Granted, that's largely because night actually matters in BTW.

You're correct on sideways logs too, although I remember building a log-cabin with those back during when I did the 1.3 update, so they've been around quite awhile.

Flower pots were one of those things I built one of then forgot about.
Syruse

Post by Syruse »

I honestly don't even know, pistons probably, upside-down stairs for sure and some item frames. I can't seem to recall what was added to MC since 1.0 :|
An IRC Conversation wrote: [19:24] <Ribky> on the bright side, i did my first modifications with the MCP today... :)
[19:24] <Horizon> what's it do?
[19:25] <Ribky> it eats your goddamn animals
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Hey, this thread actually had a positive side effect: I just put working flower pots into the mod's pottery system on my todo list :)
Foxy Boxes

Post by Foxy Boxes »

Gates. Man that's a lot of new features not used. Then again, I'm not counting rewritten features. I guess sideways logs if that counts as a feature.
On the internet you can be whatever you want. It's surprising so many people choose to be stupid.
BlackCat

Post by BlackCat »

Errr...Hmmm...

Were repeater locks 1.4? I use repeater locks for falling edge detectors a lot.
Ribky: eh, maybe kinda iffy at first, but you grew on me like a glorious tumor of innovation
Detritus: A whole lot of walls decided they wanted to give you a hug, but you're allergic to walls

My Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/illogicallycompact
Azdoine

Post by Azdoine »

FlowerChild wrote:Hey, this thread actually had a positive side effect: I just put working flower pots into the mod's pottery system on my todo list :)
But we already have planters!
mazer246

Post by mazer246 »

I usually use new features just because they are there. But how many of these things do I need? Or want? Almost none. If each update was packaged as a mod and posted on the forums, I would've passed them off as the work of a teenager learning to program and wouldn't even bothered with installing it. (Scary update == Prime example) As for the features that I like? All of them were already in my game at one point via mods except they didn't come with 20 new bugs each. I feel like that with each new update, the overall content decreases due to modders leaving the scene and not updating their mods anymore. Minecraft could've been an amazing game if it the only thing added after notch leaving was the mod API. Let new content be handled by modders.
Last edited by mazer246 on Sat Mar 09, 2013 10:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.
~Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy
Ceunon

Post by Ceunon »

Well, I killed the Wither. But only 'cause of BTW. Same goes for Beacons. I've built some stuff with Cobblestone Walls, too.

But if we're talking about game-changing new features...I don't know. That is kinda sad, isn't it?
BlackCat

Post by BlackCat »

Actually I use the shift clicking thing a lot, that feature made a lot of things way easier.

Woo block dispenser trash cans!
Ribky: eh, maybe kinda iffy at first, but you grew on me like a glorious tumor of innovation
Detritus: A whole lot of walls decided they wanted to give you a hug, but you're allergic to walls

My Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/illogicallycompact
dawnraider

Post by dawnraider »

Non-asthetic would be pistons. It is sad when the last feature of vanilla that you use is almost 2 years old. Before that, besides wolves, which I killed on site until BTW, I used repeaters (and beds, but those got ripped, thank you). That was back when I first joined in beta 1.3.1. I also shift-click extensively, I think that was beta 1.5. I never enchant (not even ie, as I've never made one), never bother with potions, and really don't care about villages (i suspect that may change, but only because it will no longer be vanilla). I do use the new asthetic stuff, but not any functionality. I don't even use repeater locks since I forget it is there since it was added alongside all the 1.4.x bullshit. I've never gone to the end except once in creative when it first came out, when I promtly said "now what's the point of this?" Endermen don't spawn enough in the overworld to be relevant, and I only bother with wither skeletons and blazes because they are unavoidable in fortresses (and hardcore beacons).
Come join us on discord! https://discord.gg/fhMK5kx
Get the Deco Addon here!
Get the Better Terrain Addon here!
Get the Vanilla Mix TP here!
Get the Conquest TP here!
CrafterOfMines57

Post by CrafterOfMines57 »

Probably potatoes, they're just convenient for eating, you cook one and it gives you more than the equivalent of 3 wheat in vanilla, or they are an early (depending on your luck, why do zombies drop them?) food source that does not require a hand crank in BTW.
Ribky

Post by Ribky »

Yeah, I use the item frames a lot... for clocks and to label production buildings. Other... than... that... beacons? Withers? I tried out the new snapshot, I don't see a whole lot worth using in it, I mean, I like the marble, but you took care of that already :)
The spice must flow...

[03:28] <Detritus_> Weird, I'm still logged in her
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

CrafterOfMines57 wrote:or they are an early (depending on your luck, why do zombies drop them?) food source that does not require a hand crank in BTW.
They don't drop them in BTW.
BinoAl

Post by BinoAl »

For me, it was probably the command block. That's just because me and a few friends tend to set up on a flatgrass map and build dungeons/mass mob spawning Colosseums, and the command blocks make ammo/weapon/whatever "shops" easy
CrafterOfMines57

Post by CrafterOfMines57 »

FlowerChild wrote:
CrafterOfMines57 wrote:or they are an early (depending on your luck, why do zombies drop them?) food source that does not require a hand crank in BTW.
They don't drop them in BTW.
That would explain why I have not been able to find them... In which case, I do occasionally use Item Frames for decoration, but I'm pretty certain those came from a Reddit idea, and therefore not a Mojang original one.
nmarshall23

Post by nmarshall23 »

Let's see:

Corner Stairs, because I <3 aesthetic builds.
Item frames, I use them a lot. But they are weird; and I hate how they render blocks.
Repeater locks, just like BlackCat, I use them for D-Latches, and all kinda redstone stuff.
I use Fire Resistance Potions to go scuba diving in the nether. But it does feel like cheating.

Damn your right, for example the map zoom feature, haven't used it much. Not nearly enough to justify the time I'm sure they spent on it.

The only thing I'm looking forward to in the next update, are the Blocks of Redstone. Everything else is fluff. Reminds me of the RPG industry in the 90s, gotta put out a new source book each month.. Never mind that no one really has time to use any of it.
Ulfengaard wrote:BTW by FC: Fixing vanilla, one version at a time. :)
icynewyear

Post by icynewyear »

Item frames are the big one for me. Thats really all I can think of..
Azdoine

Post by Azdoine »

I've only been using the new aesthetic options, like corner stairs.
Frankly, even if I didn't have BTW, I still wouldn't make use of any of the new, poorly-conceived redstone machines and mechanics.
ion

Post by ion »

actually i use all of aesthetics blocks for buildings and with great effect. i'm into a bit of love hate relationship with connected stairs. some building style that i was able to do before now is i bit wonky and not so good looking like before. but they also opened up different building types. i never used the latch repeaters as i'm too dumb to be good with redstone. also vanilla beacon was a bit of one hit wonder and after i got really bored about it and didn't build it up again. but for me minecraft is like lego. i like to build up things with blocks subblocks and new ways for using them is always good for me.
Thalarctia

Post by Thalarctia »

I've really only been using the aesthetic additions like Cobblestone Walls, corner stairs and item frames. Superflat worlds are nice for testing builds in and planning stuff I guess. Didnt touch upon the wither or beacons until the BTW makeover.
Benanov

Post by Benanov »

Corner Stairs. Upside-down stairs. Cobble walls. Item Frames (easy way to label a chest). Potatoes / Carrots.

On my vanilla server we use the anvil a lot, but I haven't ever made one, even as ammo, in BTW.
There's only one V in my name, thanks.

<TaterBoy> I figured out why there's so much lag. We have too much iron.
The Lord of Brick

Post by The Lord of Brick »

Hmmmm...
Probably witches pre-BTW nerf...
And carrots on sticks...
Cows---> nether portal=Multi-dimensional annoyances...
Repeater locks...
Better trap doors...
Mob heads was quite a big one...
Dyeable leather armor for RPG's type things...
Night Vision Potions... Yesssss...
I'm the Doctor. I'm a Time Lord. I'm from the planet Gallifrey in the constellation of Kasterborous. I'm 903 years old and I'm the man who gonna save your lives and those of six billion people on the planet below. You got a problem with that?