How to be a productive member of the community.

This forum is for anything that doesn't specifically have to do with Better Than Wolves
emptychild

How to be a productive member of the community.

Post by emptychild »

So I really love BTW and think all you guys around here are great. I have been a long time fan / player of the mod and really would love to become more involved in the community so that one day I can be invited to things like the official server. The thing is that I know post count is one of the big things that's looked at when they determine things like that and I honestly don't very often have things to say. I followed the forums for a good 6 months before ever creating an account. It's not that I don't have opinions on things I just feel like they often don't add anything to the conversation and I hate posting things just to run up a post count. If I'm going to spend time writing something, I like it to be well written and something of value and so I find that while my musing are often interesting to me, I doubt they have much value to the community at large and therefore keep to myself. I'm fairly active on the IRC but again I listen more than I speak. I guess what I'm asking is what can I add to the community? I know that's hard for complete strangers to answer but I want so much to be a part of it and just aren't sure what I have to offer.
https://twitter.com/FlowerChildXL/statu ... 5676872704

This just in! RTH to contain a TARDIS!
Spoiler
Show
FlowerChild wrote:But, before someone asks: the box will be blue. I like blue. It's a nice soothing color.
Gormador

Re: How to be a productive member of the community.

Post by Gormador »

I would say that more than post count, it's the quality of those posts that's looked at.

Anyway, if you want to be a good member of the community, respect its rules and you should be golden. I know this might sounds dumb as this is probably something you intend to do, but a lot of "newcomers" don't even take the time to read those rules...

And it is all their is to it IMO.
FlowerChild wrote:If you have a suggestion, I recommend that it have pure manna from heaven flowing forth from its vagina to warrant posting it at this point in time.
SterlingRed

Post by SterlingRed »

Obviously fc doesn't want people posting random crap in order to get a high post count for server access. Post count is just an indication of length of time in the community, and enough posts to determine whether or not the individual can be trusted on a server. As you can see from the server thread, some are accepted with fairly low counts based on other things like video contributions or posts in the mcf thread.

He is looking for players who are here as part of the community and not to just get on the server as well. When the mod went smp, we had a lot of people joining just to get access to servers and it caused some issues.

You are clearly well spoken, and put some thought into what you say. And your name and profile pic are an awesome Dr Who reference. I think this community could benefit from having you around. Try contributing your thoughts on new features or post information and screenshots on what you've built, answer questions that you feel you can answer etc. It will take some time but a few well worded posts have much more impact than 100 mostly pointless ones.
logorouge

Post by logorouge »

Quantity vs Quality. In my opinion, a few good posts is better than tons of one-sentence posts that don't bring anything new to the table. If anything, it just shows that you have some good self-control when it comes to posting on these forums. I was about to suggest a few ways to contribute to the community, but after hitting Preview, I see SterlingRed already got it all covered. Just don't post excessively in the suggestion forum and things should go well.
Also, I'm a bit late on that but... welcome to the forums, enjoy your stay!
Azdoine may have wrote:Well, we are harvesting souls [...] Sure, they get trapped in a piece of metal, but at least they get to see the world.
Sarudak
Site Admin

Post by Sarudak »

If you have any cool or interesting builds post those. Everyone loves to see that. :)
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Sarudak wrote:If you have any cool or interesting builds post those. Everyone loves to see that. :)
Especially me :)

There are few things I find more gratifying than seeing what people have created using the tools that I provide.
BlackCat

Post by BlackCat »

You don't have to have written a book on a subject to have your opinion be valuable, you just have to think before you speak and refrain from speaking when it would be inappropriate.

I started off here being scared to post, 300 posts later it feels more like a bouncy house than the cube facility (from the first movie obviously)
Ribky: eh, maybe kinda iffy at first, but you grew on me like a glorious tumor of innovation
Detritus: A whole lot of walls decided they wanted to give you a hug, but you're allergic to walls

My Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/illogicallycompact
emptychild

Post by emptychild »

I just wanted to say thanks for the responses. I look forward to seeing you all around.

Spoiler
Show
FlowerChild wrote:But, before someone asks: the box will be blue. I like blue. It's a nice soothing color.
TheGatesofLogic

Post by TheGatesofLogic »

We are happy to have you EmptyChild! You seem to be one of the few good people left in this world. Selfishness and immaturity seems so much more in the youth of this generation (although I am often seen as part of it) and this forum is often one of the few places I have left where I can maintain my sanity. I don't mean to preach to the masses but yours was one hell of a post man! You will certainly be a valuable member of this community! :)
Two feet standing on a principle
Two hands longing for each others warmth
Cold smoke seeping out of colder throats
Darkness falling, leaves nowhere to go
tom_savage

Post by tom_savage »

Hehe...he's not really a 'youth', but he is a good guy. ;)
emptychild

Post by emptychild »

Thanks Tom. It means a lot to me to hear you say that. Especially given that you used your 200th post for it :)

Spoiler
Show