New Release! (BTW V4.55)

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
GeckoDragon

Re: New Release! (BTW V4.55)

Post by GeckoDragon »

I have to ask people for help in verifying, does this apply to ladders?

I can't tell if its a sort of placebo effect going on but the emergency ladder next to my elevator seems to make me move much slower now.

I can definitely confirm it works on stairs, if this is the case it promotes staircases over ladders.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

GeckoDragon wrote:I have to ask people for help in verifying, does this apply to ladders?

I can't tell if its a sort of placebo effect going on but the emergency ladder next to my elevator seems to make me move much slower now.

I can definitely confirm it works on stairs, if this is the case it promotes staircases over ladders.
I just tried it to make sure, and I don't think it does. I certainly didn't intentionally change that.

I think what you're feeling is more the effect of moving faster on the surrounding man-made terrain and then slowing down relative to that on ladders, back down to the speed you normally move in vanilla.

Given you move faster on stairs now though, yes, it does favor stairs over ladders a bit, which is probably a good thing IMO given staircases take up more space and are more time consuming to build.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Actually, I think that mention of cement above just inspired me to work on that today. I already have a few ideas as to how I can improve it to make it more useful in road construction, and given the inclusion of Hardcore Movement in the mod, I think the timing to do so now would be entirely appropriate.

So thanks to obliteration for inspiring that idea :)
obl1terat1ion

Post by obl1terat1ion »

FlowerChild wrote:\So thanks to obliteration for inspiring that idea :)
Heh no need to thank me, after all your the one coding the dam thing :P
FlowerChild wrote:Can't make an omelet without blowing up a few chickens.
wizardglick

Post by wizardglick »

Honestly, I had been thinking for a few days about building some roads in my world. Each direction along the coast and one inland through the woods I keep getting lost in. I was even going to post asking how other people built their roads.

I guess I'll find out with everyone else.

Thanks Flowerchild, for including enhancements that can be enjoyed by players at lower tech levels. This is very exciting!
Prof_Ion

Post by Prof_Ion »

Oh man thanks Flower Child this is freaking epic!! Hard core movement!! Saw that and decided right away that I was gonna play a few hours of BTW tonight! I am so glad my roads finally server a purpose! Now this makes me want to expand my compound just because I want more roads to run on for the coolness factor of it! Thank you sooo much Flower another fantastic update that I can not wait to try out!
Kaitocain wrote: Snow is not fire, so it can still rain.
Simurgh

Post by Simurgh »

Okay, I had mostly just started playing and took one look at hardcore movement running about my built up areas before that previous post. Then just now I went caving to hunt for redstone, being an adventurous sort I prefer finding new caves to explore rather than just mining the hell out of an area.

The speed of those creepers and zombies frightened me. Yes, zombies gave me a scare. I actually had to fight the mobs rather than just *yaaawn* click them to death.

The speed they run at you down the nice convenient smooth stone is such an immense passive buff to mobs in those situations. Dare I say even more of a boost to them than the upcoming changes in ai. This kinda helps scale difficulty too - early days up on surface = slow mobs - later on deep underground = speedy mobs. I dread to think what wither skeles will be like.

So yeah, loving this addition even more the more of it I'm exposed to. I think this will end up like passive mobs eating thrown food, something that just *is*.
RezDev

Post by RezDev »

Hardcore Movement....brilliant.

Just brilliant...
Gunnerman21

Post by Gunnerman21 »

This hardcore movement demigod of a feature reminds me of the "realistic" aspect of Terrafirmacraft.

Really good job FC! :)
Spoiler
Show
I am... THE TAXI MAN.
ion

Post by ion »

thanks FC now i'm afraid, very very afraid of the unknown!
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Big warning guys: I'm currently working on an emergency patch for the last version as I fucked something up that will cause silverfish to ramage totally out of control.

I'd seriously suggest holding off on updating or playing for the next little bit. I'm not joking. They can currently level entire buildings.
jorgebonafe

Post by jorgebonafe »

FlowerChild wrote:I'd seriously suggest holding off on updating or playing for the next little bit. I'm not joking. They can currently level entire buildings.
Although this may be a bug, I may keep this version just to see that happening XD Sounds kinda fun
Better Than Wolves was borne of anal sex. True Story.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Well, it's a semi bug. The problem is that it's happening at times and places where it's not supposed to.

They're basically behaving like stone termites, which they should, but minus the restrictions that keep them in check.

Much embarrassment over flubbing this one. I've disabled the download and will have a fix out shortly.
ewsmith

Post by ewsmith »

FlowerChild wrote:Well, it's a semi bug. The problem is that it's happening at times and places where it's not supposed to.

They're basically behaving like stone termites, which they should, but minus the restrictions that keep them in check.

Much embarrassment over flubbing this one. I've disabled the download and will have a fix out shortly.
After reading this I thought "This can't be the same game. Silverfish dangerous?". So I went to my stronghold to check up on the spawner. A few minutes later the walls were pretty much gone. Watching a room dissolve was rather shocking. It took me about a minute to breathing again. Thought I would never stop laughing. I died of course. Great excuse to try hardcore spawning first hand, though.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

ewsmith wrote: After reading this I thought "This can't be the same game. Silverfish dangerous?". So I went to my stronghold to check up on the spawner. A few minutes later the walls were pretty much gone. Watching a room dissolve was rather shocking. It took me about a minute to breathing again. Thought I would never stop laughing. I died of course. Great excuse to try hardcore spawning first hand, though.
That's the one bright side in this: unless there were already silverfish blocks around, this wouldn't happen. So hopefully most people haven't had too much damage occur if they weren't built near a stronghold.
TheGatesofLogic

Post by TheGatesofLogic »

Wait, I was actually right about buildings disintegrating in my previous post? huh, I thought i was joking... I must be a genius...
Two feet standing on a principle
Two hands longing for each others warmth
Cold smoke seeping out of colder throats
Darkness falling, leaves nowhere to go
ion

Post by ion »

the damage was big in my world, silverfish blocks can spawn in big hills biome and my village is in one of them just lost a day of work
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

ion wrote:the damage was big in my world, silverfish blocks can spawn in big hills biome and my village is in one of them just lost a day of work
My apologies man. I don't feel good about that :\
ion

Post by ion »

don't worry FC i had a save before installing 4.55. i just got it like Fun from DF. actually i just discovered new used of connected mouldings and i will use that in my buildings
Zhil

Post by Zhil »

Heh, this is crazy. A while back, I saw a mod that had a "road block" that made you walk faster on it. My initial reaction was "that is brilliant, someone should do it for all vanilla blocks". I played in my head with the implications, but never really told anyone. A few days ago, I was talking to the TFC author and I mentioned the idea, which made it fresh in my mind again. The day after, I see the BTW release and was like: "wut? brain-steal?".

I need to get a tin-foil hat now :D

Seriously though, whenever my brain tells me "someone should do this properly", I should just assume you're already on top of it :). Great work, I love it man. Glad that you have our backs.

This is why ideas are worthless, execution is everything. This is obviously an idea that many people have had, especially since soul sand came out. It just takes someone to see the forest through the trees, make the idea click and then execute it properly, in a way that radically changes the gameplay. And you did it all in less than a day, color me impressed :).
Come join us at Vioki's Discord! discord.gg/fhMK5kx