New Release! (BTW V4.55)

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
Conscript Gary

Re: New Release! (BTW V4.55)

Post by Conscript Gary »

Oh man, we actually have to keep our roads clear of snow now. This is awesome!
chaoticneutral

Post by chaoticneutral »

Hardcore Movement? This looks really cool. (I'm quite relieved it's not the Grue! :P)
But I'm specially curious with the changes regarding The End and silverfish

Thank you for yet another amazing release!
--Who do you think you are, War?
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Hehe...I've got to say the reaction here is really gratifying guys. Glad to hear people are as excited about this as I am :)
Conscript Gary wrote:Oh man, we actually have to keep our roads clear of snow now.
Indeed! The biome specific aspects of this are one of the things I really love about it.

As mentioned above, deserts are a bitch to cross, you actually have to shovel your paths in snowy biomes, and jungles in particular are a real pain to navigate.

It goes a long way to establishing biome specific characteristics which I think the game was really lacking.
Shengji

Post by Shengji »

Brilliant! Pure genius - like a lot of people here I build roads, not only for aesthetics but to help me to navigate long distances and to make journeys safer (Walls and spider defences built in) but also because, weirdly, I really enjoy making them!

I wonder, does this affect mobs too, or has leaving the path at night suddenly become deadly... Only one way to find out.

EDIT:
you actually have to shovel your paths in snowy biomes
Under-road heating? I guess torches will clear them quite nicely! Again, a nice touch, I was wondering, my current base is in a snowy biome!
Last edited by Shengji on Sat Feb 09, 2013 1:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
7 months, 37 different border checks and counting.
ImSheroPsu

Post by ImSheroPsu »

FlowerChild wrote:As mentioned above, deserts are a bitch to cross, you actually have to shovel your paths in snowy biomes, and jungles in particular are a real pain to navigate.
I love, and hate you for this all at once. :D

Bravo Sir!!! Bravo!!
Spoiler
Show
FlowerChild wrote:
ManPotatoes wrote:
If you hate it ban me I could care less C:

Bonus.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Shengji wrote:I wonder, does this affect mobs too, or has leaving the path at night suddenly become deadly... Only one way to find out.
Yup, it does (that part is actually mentioned in the release notes).

It makes for some very interesting experiences. I had a group of creepers chasing me earlier today and as I was backing away from them, I wound up on a beach where I started to slow down and they gained on me as a result. Then there was this slow motion and nerve-wracking chase along the beach that resulted :)

I think overall it just gives players one more thing to keep their minds occupied while moving around (fastest path for both you and mobs), which is definitely a good thing :)
Conscript Gary

Post by Conscript Gary »

Now that I've had some time to run around on my server, I'm impressed with how this feels in practice. It's not an obnoxious effect, but it's not negligible either.
Also, is it just me or did you tweak hunger drain for sprinting through slow terrain? (dashing through the snow...)
Shengji

Post by Shengji »

This feels so intuitive - the idea has been implemented masterfully! Also, now a real drawback to building in a desert biome, to counteract the advantage of not having to worry about rain!
7 months, 37 different border checks and counting.
devak

Post by devak »

Movement (as it should be!) (:P) sounds awesome.

I must say, i've always been rather bitchy about making pavement and roads to stuff. grass cuts it when you're in a hole surviving for the night, but any developed base needs roads.

and now: Better With Roads.

did anyone mention you are awesome Flowerchild?
xou816

Post by xou816 »

Wow, that's a really impressive idea! Can't wait to try this out...
MoRmEnGiL

Post by MoRmEnGiL »

Hell yeah, just a few days ago I mentioned it would be cool to have a reason to remove snow from your roads, and now we have exactly that, along with a lot of seriously lovely changes. It really is the simple things in this game that have the biggest impact.

I absolutely love the biome diversification this release promotes. And the interactivity and that much more immersiveness. Kudos man, you never cease to satisfy. Actually a certain sig quote came to mind now I said that :P

If anything, new versions of vmc do provide some inspiration, so they are not a total loss to btw. :P
War..
War never changes.

Remember what the dormouse said
Wibbles

Post by Wibbles »

Can't wait to try this out later. Absolutely amazing, and I appreciate the movement pun (considering latest twitter escapades!)
mogulus

Post by mogulus »

-Added changes to silverfish to make them a more interesting, useful, dangerous, and a better integrated part of the game. These are left to the player to discover.
I seriously just the other day was mining in extreme hills and noticed a monster egg hidden. I made a special trip back to my VERY remote base to get silk touch and haul the bastard home. Should've checked the minecraft wiki because of course I ended up with a freaking stone.

I'm going to try this again now.

Hardcore movement. Cannot wait to see how this works since I live and run a village.
Getting home after a 10 hour shift at work and to hell with sleeping. I have an update to instal. THANK YOU.

sad to see, though, that you have not had time or motivation to yet implement the candle block. I saw in another thread that this is a loose end you intend to close up. And it seems like a small one. But I have a cultish church worshiping the nether portal that will look total badass with death candles everywhere, whenever you get to them.
Time slows down in a high gravitational field. This fact is the pinion of my plan to destroy us all...
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

mogulus wrote:sad to see, though, that you have not had time or motivation to yet implement the candle block. I saw in another thread that this is a loose end you intend to close up. And it seems like a small one. But I have a cultish church worshiping the nether portal that will look total badass with death candles everywhere, whenever you get to them.
Well, let's take a look at the options shall we:

Spend the afternoon implementing candle blocks, or...

spend the afternoon fundamentally changing how the game plays and encouraging projects that will likely occupy many hours of gameplay.

Obviously, the latter takes priority ;)

I'd be surprised if there are any features that I've implemented the past while that would be considered of less value than candles. Given I have finite time at my disposal, choices always have to be made, and candles are just a "it would be nice" kinda feature that doesn't impact anything significant.

In other words, don't be sad you don't have candles...be happy I still have better ideas to implement which you can now play with instead ;)
-J-

Post by -J- »

I must admit, didn't see Hardcore Movement coming. Walking on ice is a bitch now. Lovin' it.
"In a closed society where everybody's guilty, the only crime is getting caught. In a world of thieves, the only final sin is stupidity."
Simurgh

Post by Simurgh »

I normally do roads anyways just for aesthetics, great to see them paying off rewards. Another one of those additions you can't believe aren't in vanilla.
mogulus

Post by mogulus »

I shouldn't have said that like I did. I actually put a lot of thought into trying to say that to not seem either ungrateful or impatient.

This was an incredibly content rich update. All I meant to allude to is that I'm looking forward to them being added. But I've been waiting for respiration's' scroll longer than the candle. So I know all good things in good time :)
Time slows down in a high gravitational field. This fact is the pinion of my plan to destroy us all...
Haikoo

Post by Haikoo »

thx for this very interesting update, again a "but why is't not in minecraft yet !" update for HC Movement !

realy a grate job !
CreeperCommando

Post by CreeperCommando »

Holy sh*t-cakes on burning pogo sticks..... I even remember how much I'd use to search for mods with this functionality, but never found anything 'non-moddy'. I love you man, and now I'm doomed to start MC again after like..... 13 November was last time I played apparently O.o

Once again, thank you very much!!!!
Ribky wrote:Right into the hibachi? Damn man, God hates your windmill more than he hates the uncircumcised.
FC wrote:"You have defeated zrog the mighty! Have a potato."
FC wrote: "Does Dung Float?"
ehsanmp

Post by ehsanmp »

The denizens of my server have already built a good few long roads, so they'll most definitely be happy with this. SFS being wither proof opens up a whoooole bunch of new fun to be had.
SterlingRed

Post by SterlingRed »

I don't even know what to say. This release is enough content to make it a 5.0 version number change! This is an enormous amount of gameplay content in such a short development time! Thank you very much this is going to be a blast!

I've always liked and wanted roads for aesthetic reasons but as you say, time is finite and I'd rather spend my in game time automating something instead of making something look pretty. But now roads will have a functional use and will be worth the time and effort in order to speed up moving about. I love it!
It will also be interesting to see what happens with how I explore to find villages and such. I imagine I'm going to be using the nether and boats more to get to new places rather than traveling over land due to the movement hazards.

Much thanks for the wither proof sfs! Makes sense and is useful! The other stuff looks good too!
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Thanks for all the positive comments guys! It's really great that this feature is being so well received, especially after all the secretive stuff I've been adding the past little while ;)
ion

Post by ion »

the hidden "FUN" is very nice. didn't expected it!
obl1terat1ion

Post by obl1terat1ion »

I'd also like to say how awesome it is. :) Also cement just got used a heck of a lot more that it was before!
FlowerChild wrote:Can't make an omelet without blowing up a few chickens.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

obl1terat1ion wrote:I'd also like to say how awesome it is. :) Also cement just got used a heck of a lot more that it was before!
Huh...interesting observation and one I hadn't considered.

I wonder if that will really be the case. Cement has always been the bastard child of BTW. It's a feature I put in as one of the original 6 blocks, and it has never really found a proper home in the tech tree that the mod eventually evolved into.

Given road construction is now a thing, I may put some thought into how I can rebalance it to make it more suitable to that purpose. I know a heck of a lot more about the Minecraft code than back when I created it, so it might be worth taking another look at it now as part of the "wrapping up" process of BTW.