Vanilla Minecraft News Discussion

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Re: Vanilla Minecraft News Discussion

Post by FlowerChild »

The vast majority of players will never install a mod, map, texture pack, or play multiplayer.

They boot up the game and play it as is, and their experience will be limited to the defaults. That's the way things are in game development in general, and is not specific to Minecraft. You'll notice how seriously I take default options with the mod as a result.

Anyways, I think the above quote from Dinnerbone again illustrates the danger I always go on about in supporting too many options. Your design becomes scatter shot, and your development time ends up being occupied more and more with working on stuff for sub-groups of your actual audience.

He may want to add stuff that appeals to everyone, but the way he's going about it is having the exact opposite effect.
destineternel

Post by destineternel »

So Dinnerbone lets this tweet out.

https://twitter.com/Dinnerbone/status/2 ... 5383589888

and people find the torrent and then post it on reddit

http://www.reddit.com/r/Minecraft/comme ... nk_inside/

oh now it is public https://twitter.com/Dinnerbone/status/2 ... 4964941824
<DaveYanakov> I know I overuse them and put them in inappropriate places but they just feel so good.
<icynewyear> shit is delicious
<MagikEh> Don't try to give me da D
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

destineternel wrote:oh now it is public https://twitter.com/Dinnerbone/status/2 ... 4964941824
The timing of the above is a tad unfortunate. I decided to put my Twitter account to good use and call Dinnerbone on the tweet Battosay posted above. With all the chaos resulting from the user-log thing though, I suspect it will just be lost in the mix.
Grass_Block

Post by Grass_Block »

wut. I got this from reddit.
Katalliaan

Post by Katalliaan »

It's for mapmakers, supposedly, in case they want a portable spawner. In another one of his tweets, he says that it's just as configurable as spawner blocks, but can move.
Open in case of fire
Spoiler
Show
Not now stupid - in case of fire
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Katalliaan wrote:It's for mapmakers, supposedly, in case they want a portable spawner. In another one of his tweets, he says that it's just as configurable as spawner blocks, but can move.
Because obviously the priority in a game whose claim to fame is player interactivity with the world is a mode that disables most of that interactivity. Makes sense.
Shengji

Post by Shengji »

Katalliaan wrote:It's for mapmakers, supposedly, in case they want a portable spawner. In another one of his tweets, he says that it's just as configurable as spawner blocks, but can move.
For crying out loud! It was perfectly possible to get the effect of a moving spawner in vanilla, using pistons to block lighting around a row of fixed spawners. Jesus, any map maker worth his salt can figure out how to do amazing stuff - it's half the damn fun of making the maps!!

I would never play minecraft again if it wasn't for BTW, that would have been the uninstall moment for me, and I love making challenge maps - but what's the point if making them is so ludicrously easy any moron can inflict his level design on the unsuspecting down loaders.

I'm probably being unfair to someone, somehow. Probably just jealousy that I put a tonne of work into some stuff that makes people go wow, and then you can put a spawner in a minecart.
7 months, 37 different border checks and counting.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

On the bright side, Dinnerbone seems to have engaged me over the issue.
Donzaffi

Post by Donzaffi »

FlowerChild wrote:On the bright side, Dinnerbone seems to have engaged me over the issue.
Its just me, missunderstanding, or is he not taking you for granted ?
Consistency is the last refuge of the unimaginative

HIgh Res Texturepack ............43% done
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Donzaffi wrote: Its just me, missunderstanding, or is he not taking you for granted ?
I think it's pretty rare he gets involved in that much of an exchange with someone from the community, so yes, I do think he's at least listening. I doubt he's going to respond to my last points though as I'm being rather openly critical of MC's development and I don't think that's the kind of thing a company can publicly respond to.

Anyways, maybe me getting that twitter account wasn't a colossal waste of time after all. Sure makes a nice change from the usual never ending stream of praise I see for Mojang's poor design decisions on their accounts ;)
Donzaffi

Post by Donzaffi »

FlowerChild wrote:
Donzaffi wrote: Its just me, missunderstanding, or is he not taking you for granted ?
I think it's pretty rare he gets involved in that much of an exchange with someone from the community, so yes, I do think he's at least listening. I doubt he's going to respond to my last points though as I'm being rather openly critical of MC's development and I don't think that's the kind of thing a company can publicly respond to.

Anyways, maybe me getting that twitter account wasn't a colossal waste of time after all. Sure makes a nice change from the usual never ending stream of praise I see for Mojang's poor design decisions on their accounts ;)
Thx for clarifiny it, I thought that critic is the key for great development in every department and as far as I know you have many experience with such things so I don't understand becaue Dinnerbone not seeking the conversation, only thing he can is profot from somebodys else expercience. Of course not in the public.

I hope its understandable what I wrote, have some difficulties to say it in english
Consistency is the last refuge of the unimaginative

HIgh Res Texturepack ............43% done
MoRmEnGiL

Post by MoRmEnGiL »

FlowerChild wrote: I never would have gone for that man, as it doesn't suit the functionality of the BD at all.

I'm half tempted to rip it out of the vanilla dispenser as it strikes me as pure silliness, but given that it's relatively harmless, especially in comparison to some of the other upcoming changes, I'll probably just leave it alone.

But yeah...not something I would have done myself.
Oh I know, that's what I meant problematic, it didn't even stuck myself as a good idea, it was way out of character. Just wishful thinking ;]

On other news, baby cows' bounding box has been fixed to that of one full block. So the inability to jump a block up is kinda redundant now. I'm fine with either of them or even both staying in.
War..
War never changes.

Remember what the dormouse said
Six

Post by Six »

MoRmEnGiL wrote: On other news, baby cows' bounding box has been fixed to that of one full block. So the inability to jump a block up is kinda redundant now. I'm fine with either of them or even both staying in.
The problem with the 1 high box is it provides a super easy farming method, in that you have your baby cow born in a 1 high room above a hopper, then when it becomes an adult it suffocates and the drops go into the hopper.

There's also been a change to wither skeletons to give them a 3 high hitbox, but no change to their spawn code so they can spawn in a 2 high area and suffocate.
Crafterfr33

Post by Crafterfr33 »

Mob Spawners in carts? Oh, think about this. Creeper Spawner in a cart. Mayhem.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Six wrote:There's also been a change to wither skeletons to give them a 3 high hitbox, but no change to their spawn code so they can spawn in a 2 high area and suffocate.
You sure about this? The spawn code for mobs does check the actual bounding volume it occupies, so it would be pretty fucked if it actually worked this way.
Ph1il93

Post by Ph1il93 »

Six wrote: There's also been a change to wither skeletons to give them a 3 high hitbox, but no change to their spawn code so they can spawn in a 2 high area and suffocate.
I have already seen this in my nether mobtrap, since FC's changes to Wither spawning, Wither Skeletons manage to spawn on the two high spawn pads meant for pigmen. If they spawn in a two high area they can't move as seen here
Spoiler
Show
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Fuck, that sucks, and I think I may have already seen an instance of it myself while wandering around my nether fort.

I'll take a look at the above myself since such traps have become an important part of the mod.
Six

Post by Six »

FlowerChild wrote:
Six wrote:There's also been a change to wither skeletons to give them a 3 high hitbox, but no change to their spawn code so they can spawn in a 2 high area and suffocate.
You sure about this? The spawn code for mobs does check the actual bounding volume it occupies, so it would be pretty fucked if it actually worked this way.
I'm not entirely sure sorry, I was just repeating what I saw in a reddit comment, but I have no idea if what they said had been tested or seen.
Ph1il93 wrote:I have already seen this in my nether mobtrap, since FC's changes to Wither spawning, Wither Skeletons manage to spawn on the two high spawn pads meant for pigmen. If they spawn in a two high area they can't move as seen here
Spoiler
Show
Perhaps the change of wither skele hitboxes to 3 high might actually fix this then?
Thalarctia

Post by Thalarctia »

FlowerChild wrote:Fuck, that sucks, and I think I may have already seen an instance of it myself while wandering around my nether fort.

I'll take a look at the above myself since such traps have become an important part of the mod.
Stuff like this has been in minecraft for a while - The biggest size slime can also spawn in 2-high areas, causing them to suffocate and split into the smaller ones shortly after spawning.
Ferrus.Manus

Post by Ferrus.Manus »

So in new snapshot when you attacks a zombies it will also make other zombies near them aggroed, and shooting zombie with a bow will aggro them from further away than in current version. Well at least they are trying to make game harder and this addition seems mostly OK. Nothing brilliant, but it fits the theme of zombies.
Last edited by Ferrus.Manus on Fri Feb 08, 2013 6:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Thalarctia

Post by Thalarctia »

Ferrus.Manus wrote:So in new snapshot when you attacks a zombies it will also make other zombies near them aggroed, and shotting zombie with a bow will aggro them from further away than in current version. Well at least they are trying to make game harder and this addition seems mostly OK. Nothing brilliant, but it fits the theme of zombies.
Soo.. Hardcore Endermen implemented on the zombies? I like it, if anything because the noise would alert other zombies to your presence.
Crafterfr33

Post by Crafterfr33 »

Yeah, skeletons will get even more annyoning now.
ion

Post by ion »

Thalarctia wrote:
FlowerChild wrote:Fuck, that sucks, and I think I may have already seen an instance of it myself while wandering around my nether fort.

Stuff like this has been in minecraft for a while - The biggest size slime can also spawn in 2-high areas, causing them to suffocate and split into the smaller ones shortly after spawning.
actually this was fixed long ago. but once they behaved like you said
DaveYanakov

Post by DaveYanakov »

Ferrus.Manus wrote: So in new snapshot when you attacks a zombies it will also make other zombies near them aggroed, and shooting zombie with a bow will aggro them from further away than in current version. Well at least they are trying to make game harder and this addition seems mostly OK. Nothing brilliant, but it fits the theme of zombies.
I like the direction they are taking here but I would like to see it go further and agro all zombies in range if they spot you, not just if you attack them.
Better is the enemy of Good
Gears

Post by Gears »

Ferrus.Manus wrote:-snipped snip snip-
This feature sounds like they're moving towards mineZ level zombie AI. If it gets to the point where they will travel in packs and swarm players, I may just have faith in the direction of the game.
FlowerChild wrote:For example, I'm feeling such a whim right now, and look forward with anticipation to the feeling of satisfaction that shall come from acting upon it.
Former Drill Sergeant and cranky gamer