Help: Joining locations via nether

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
Simurgh

Help: Joining locations via nether

Post by Simurgh »

I was trying earlier to link my main base to an NPC village which I found in a nearby desert. The problem though is that it is too close to my main base making the portal built near the village link to my nether base directly. I know how to work around this in vanilla using the coords to manually build both portals and link them but I'm not sure how to do this in BTW.

Anyone have any ideas how to do this?
Thalarctia

Re: Help: Joining locations via nether

Post by Thalarctia »

Build a portal there in the overworld. Then go in the general direction your village is in the nether from your main portal, the approximate distance divided by 8, and build a portal there. If you hit sufficiently close, your nether portal will link up with the new one you built. If it doesnt, tear down the one in the overworld, go back to your main base, into the nether, and tear down the nether side one as well, and try again.
Donzaffi

Post by Donzaffi »

Thalarctia wrote:Build a portal there in the overworld. Then go in the general direction your village is in the nether from your main portal, the approximate distance divided by 8, and build a portal there. If you hit sufficiently close, your nether portal will link up with the new one you built. If it doesnt, tear down the one in the overworld, go back to your main base, into the nether, and tear down the nether side one as well, and try again.
I think he means others way than counting blocks,
you can use stakes therefore but I don't know if there is another possibiblity
Consistency is the last refuge of the unimaginative

HIgh Res Texturepack ............43% done
DNoved1

Post by DNoved1 »

This thread may be of use: Link

Essentially you have to repeatedly tear down and rebuild your portals until they align correctly, a fairly time intensive process.
odranoel

Post by odranoel »

i had similar issues when trying to link a portal to a stronghold i recently found. it was extremely frustrating and every time id try to line them up properly id always come out of one of my other portals already in the over world, and no where near the strong hold.

what i eventually did, is as slightly mentioned above, is disable ALL my portals in the over world, then disable all the ones in the nether. (this also requires a suicide to get back to the over world) then i went to the portal i built in my strong hold, activated it again, and went through. since the game now had no active portals to link to, it created a properly linked nether side portal to my strong hold. (also conveniently, it spawned right next to my nether base) then i simply went and reactivated all my other portals. and they all now properly link up with their respective overworld and nether portals.

to be honest it was a bit of a pain in the ass, and felt rather unnessisary. but was the only real solution i could come up with (and it worked, it was jsut time consuming) and it gets even more and more of a pain in the ass as you start to have more and more portals. counting blocks is fine over small distances, but when you have to travel hundreds or thousands of blocks, its completly impracticle.

for now, when i create a new portal, i always create it nether side first, and see where i come out in the over world. this greatly reduces the chances of comeing out an already made portal, and will almost always properly link up the overworld portal with the one you made in the nether. the only downside to this is you dont really have much control where in the overworld the portal will appear.

so i guess your options depend on how far your linking the portals, and how many you already have. the options are:

1: if your not travleing far, then you should be able to count and aproximate the positions you need.

2: if traveling far, you can disable all the portals, make the overworld portal you want, go through it to create its nether side link, then reactivate all the portals again.

3: you can always create the portal nether side first and see where it brings you in the over world. (this seems to have less chances of bringing you through an already made portal, but isnt perfect.)

im sure there are a few other options i cant think of at the moment, so any one please feel free to add on. but i hope this helps a little bit.

Edit:spelling

PS, this is in no way critizising any features of BTW, even with cords i always found linking portals to be a pain and ended up doing as mentioned above. i consider my portals pains to be purely vanilla issues, and in no way reflect any features of BTW.
ion

Post by ion »

the biggest problem is that you have a big chance that your first portal isn't really connected with his nether part. and from that every measurement can be screwed. as you can't get the 0,0 coordinates both overworld and nether, the best thing to do is after making the first portal make more of them go back to the overworld and start making new portals a few blocks away from the first east west north south. go into the nether and back and check what portal is aligned with the nether one.
it will be a hard work, but it's worth as after you have aligned them you can start measurement.
removal of the F3 coordinates is a big mess, not by FC as i think that is a good reason, it's just the way how mojang coded the portals spawning in the nether
Simurgh

Post by Simurgh »

odranoel wrote:what i eventually did, is as slightly mentioned above, is disable ALL my portals in the over world, then disable all the ones in the nether. (this also requires a suicide to get back to the over world) then i went to the portal i built in my strong hold, activated it again, and went through. since the game now had no active portals to link to, it created a properly linked nether side portal to my strong hold.
Thanks, this sounds like a plan. Time for steve's first experience of hardcore spawn