Trying to understand Dragon Orbs.

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
wirer

Trying to understand Dragon Orbs.

Post by wirer »

So i have this mob grinder with a water stream to wash out loot and dragon orbs. as far as i know, dragon orbs don't get converted to exp when passing over my soul sand hopper. does this require power or is my setup just bad? i just get a pile of Dragon Orbs sitting on my loot hopper.
ExpHP

Re: Trying to understand Dragon Orbs.

Post by ExpHP »

They're supposed to go IN the hopper, and come out as XP when powered.

Try powering it. It sounds like yours is full.
Pfilson

Post by Pfilson »

Yeah, the soul sand hopper can only hold a few orbs without being powered.. Less than 10.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Pfilson wrote:Yeah, the soul sand hopper can only hold a few orbs without being powered.. Less than 10.
You're kinda confusing the issue further. You realize they come in different sizes right? Which of course begs the question: 10 what?
Siege Wizard

Post by Siege Wizard »

Pfilson wrote:Yeah, the soul sand hopper can only hold a few orbs without being powered.. Less than 10.
Iirc soul sand can hold a certain amount of exp. points, not a certain amount of exp/dragon orbs. What I mean is that each orb (green/red) is a different amount of exp points. The soul sand hopper will hold X exp points that can be obtain by Y orbs depending on their size.

Usually what is done is, having a soul sand hopper powered always to filter the dragon orbs into exp and sorting it for the rest of drops. This exp. is dropped into another watter stream that goes over a row of unpowered soul sand hoppers that will act as storage. A level will power this hoppers (unpowering a torch below a gear box for example) and this hoppers will drop the exp so that you can enchant your items.

Correct me if something it's wrong (would be fun as I have a full undead-antropod trap sorting system working with a set up as above for the exp. and it works perfectly).

S.W.
wirer

Post by wirer »

Ah. i see. thanks for the help. i have exp flowing out now. now, if only i could bottle it...
Siege Wizard

Post by Siege Wizard »

wirer wrote:Ah. i see. thanks for the help. i have exp flowing out now. now, if only i could bottle it...
FC has said a lot of times he may introduce a way of storing exp out of the hoppers iirc, but don't turn this post into a suggestion, believe me, you don't want to do it ;)

S.W.
SterlingRed

Post by SterlingRed »

wirer wrote:Ah. i see. thanks for the help. i have exp flowing out now. now, if only i could bottle it...
Yikes. That's called a suggestion, which is a no no outside of the suggestion section. Bottling xp is something that has been suggested many times. Fc is well aware of that idea at this point.

Edit: Ninja s.w.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

And you can already bottle it...
Spoiler
Show
The bottles are just rather large :)
Siege Wizard

Post by Siege Wizard »

FlowerChild wrote:And you can already bottle it...
Spoiler
Show
The bottles are just rather large :)
Nice flint basement. But... am I seeing some dirt over your acueduct (at the start)?

S.W.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Siege Wizard wrote:Nice flint basement. But... am I seeing some dirt over your acueduct (at the start)?
That was just a temp tower I built to access something higher up.
MoRmEnGiL

Post by MoRmEnGiL »

[offtopic]Wow, that full bedrock floor actually creeps me out, cause it gives me that super hostile feeling that you are soon going to be assaulted by blazes skellies creepers and ghasts from all sides :P [/offtopic]
War..
War never changes.

Remember what the dormouse said
wirer

Post by wirer »

my bad. ignore what i said

just curious, how does the bottler keep the exp?
Crazylemon64

Post by Crazylemon64 »

A soul sand hopper, the basic component of XP storage, contains XP until it receives mechanical power, at which point the XP empties out through the bottom to wherever you want the XP to go. XP storage isn't an item, it's a multi-block structure. The only way the player can carry XP is in their levels, so preferably your enchantment setup is close to your XP storage/shower.