Auto-Hardcore Melon Farm Design Yes or No?

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
XboxAddict77

Auto-Hardcore Melon Farm Design Yes or No?

Post by XboxAddict77 »

Hey Guys my favorite part of MC is using redstone to make "things" so when fc implemented Hardcore Melons I decided to embrace the concept and make a new design for a automatic farm My question to you is would you ever use it? It can be expanded to about 15-17 planters in one row. In a row of 7 planters in one hour of real life time it gave me about 20 pumpkins so this works pretty well with melons. It is 100% reliable and doesn't get stuck either. Here it is.
If you look at the pictures is basically a melon is seen by the Block Detector and the piston is retracted then the melon gets cut by the saws and flows into the nearest hopper.
How can i get a video in here?

Pictures:
Spoiler
Show
Here is the front of the machine the back is just axles and gearboxes to power the saws and the hoppers as you see here.
Here is the redstone circuits. It Must be alternated between these two compact circuits.
Circuit one
Circuit two
Tutorial Link:
Magnavode

Re: Auto-Hardcore Melon Farm Design Yes or No?

Post by Magnavode »

Very nice build.
You can make it more compact by moving the piston up by 1 block and having it extend by putting a torch on the side of the detector block.
XboxAddict77

Post by XboxAddict77 »

Wow never thought of that ^^
Husbag3

Post by Husbag3 »

Magnavode wrote:Very nice build.
You can make it more compact by moving the piston up by 1 block and having it extend by putting a torch on the side of the detector block.
Wouldn't that push the planter with the plant on out the way? Or am I missing something...
If the minecraft world is infinite, why does the sun still rotate around it?
Siege Wizard

Post by Siege Wizard »

In vMC, melons are one of the best, if not the best, sources of food in the game, but in BTW, as you need to have cow farms for leather you will have tons of meat (believe me, a cow farm gives more meat than leather, and as you need a dung (= a raw steak) per each leather, you will have enough food for you and some friends. Further in the game you will keep building pig farms for tallow production, from where you can have porkchops too, and chicken farms for feathers, from when you can obtain raw eggs + raw chicken. So from the start to the end of the game, you will have a huge amount of food that will keep increasing with time.

What i'm trying to say here is, that melons won't be used for food, but for seeds as they produce 5 seeds per melon vs the 4 produced by a pumpkin. And if you want to use melons for this purpouse, than design is quite bad. For seeds you will want to make it so that all the melons fall 16 blocks prefore hitting a solid block so that they break into seeds. So what you need it isn't a horizaontal tileable desing, but a vertical tileable one so that all the melons fall into the same block making the seed collection much easier. You can search the recent posts of the forums for this kind of desing as BlackCat and me mainly, but also other users, have been posting them.

Still it's a good contraption that will keep you fed if you don't want to rely on meat.
XboxAddict77

Post by XboxAddict77 »

Husbag3 wrote:
Wouldn't that push the planter with the plant on out the way? Or am I missing something...
No, if a melon grows the detector block turns on and then through one of those circuits in the picture the sticky piston turns off, retracts the piston and the melon falls into the saws into a hopper. If your still confused look at the video link.
XboxAddict77

Post by XboxAddict77 »

Siege Wizard wrote:In vMC, melons are one of the best, if not the best, sources of food in the game, but in BTW, as you need to have cow farms for leather you will have tons of meat (believe me, a cow farm gives more meat than leather, and as you need a dung (= a raw steak) per each leather, you will have enough food for you and some friends. Further in the game you will keep building pig farms for tallow production, from where you can have porkchops too, and chicken farms for feathers, from when you can obtain raw eggs + raw chicken. So from the start to the end of the game, you will have a huge amount of food that will keep increasing with time.

What i'm trying to say here is, that melons won't be used for food, but for seeds as they produce 5 seeds per melon vs the 4 produced by a pumpkin. And if you want to use melons for this purpouse, than design is quite bad. For seeds you will want to make it so that all the melons fall 16 blocks prefore hitting a solid block so that they break into seeds. So what you need it isn't a horizaontal tileable desing, but a vertical tileable one so that all the melons fall into the same block making the seed collection much easier. You can search the recent posts of the forums for this kind of desing as BlackCat and me mainly, but also other users, have been posting them.

Still it's a good contraption that will keep you fed if you don't want to rely on meat.
Don't get me wrong meat in MC is great, but as I stated my favorite part of this game is experimenting so in my world i usually have one Giant complex of nothing but automatic farming. Its Awesome.
Siege Wizard

Post by Siege Wizard »

XboxAddict77 wrote:
Husbag3 wrote:
No, if a melon grows the detector block turns on and then through one of those circuits in the picture the sticky piston turns off, retracts the piston and the melon falls into the saws into a hopper. If your still confused look at the video link.
I'm quite sure he's talking about the modification that Magnavode suggested.

EDIT: then it's fine, but you asked if it would be used, and the asnwer is: you will have meat from other farms and this one only gives food so it won't take it's place.

S.W.
Last edited by Siege Wizard on Tue Jan 08, 2013 2:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
XboxAddict77

Post by XboxAddict77 »

Siege Wizard wrote:In vMC, melons are one of the best, if not the best, sources of food in the game, but in BTW, as you need to have cow farms for leather you will have tons of meat (believe me, a cow farm gives more meat than leather, and as you need a dung (= a raw steak) per each leather, you will have enough food for you and some friends. Further in the game you will keep building pig farms for tallow production, from where you can have porkchops too, and chicken farms for feathers, from when you can obtain raw eggs + raw chicken. So from the start to the end of the game, you will have a huge amount of food that will keep increasing with time.

Also I really don't care about the seeds right now this is to farm for food as the same melon plant will keep producing more melons.
Siege Wizard

Post by Siege Wizard »

XboxAddict77 wrote:Also I really don't care about the seeds right now this is to farm for food as the same melon plant will keep producing more melons.
Yes I do know how they work. As the same plant produces infinite melons, you can break them into seeds to fed your chickens for eggs. Breaking the eggs for food and feathers. It's quite a cheap full-automatic farm that doesn't require any maintainance and provides you with tons of raw eggs plus the benefit that it also produces raw chicken and feather. You should get one of this as I think it's the most simple multi-contraption farm with no maintainance.

Some numbers:
1 melon -> 5 slices = 5 hunger points
1 melon -> 5 seeds -> 5 eggs -> 5 raw eggs -> stewing pot -> 5 boiled eggs = 10 hunger points
Double the eficiency, and that in the case that none of the eggs hatches. If so you should change a raw egg (2 hunger points) for a raw chicken (3 hunger points) + 0-2 feathers. It's a win-win situation but with harder automatition process behind.
XboxAddict77

Post by XboxAddict77 »

Siege Wizard wrote:
XboxAddict77 wrote:Also I really don't care about the seeds right now this is to farm for food as the same melon plant will keep producing more melons.
Yes I do know how they work. As the same plant produces infinite melons, you can break them into seeds to fed your chickens for eggs. Breaking the eggs for food and feathers. It's quite a cheap full-automatic farm that doesn't require any maintainance and provides you with tons of raw eggs plus the benefit that it also produces raw chicken and feather. You should get one of this as I think it's the most simple multi-contraption farm with no maintainance.

Some numbers:
1 melon -> 5 slices = 5 hunger points
1 melon -> 5 seeds -> 5 eggs -> 5 raw eggs -> stewing pot -> 5 boiled eggs = 10 hunger points
Double the eficiency, and that in the case that none of the eggs hatches. If so you should change a raw egg (2 hunger points) for a raw chicken (3 hunger points) + 0-2 feathers. It's a win-win situation but with harder automatition process behind.
I see what you mean here yes that works but can't you just break down the melon slices/pumpkins to seed via crafting table I tried with the pumpkins and i could just get seeds from there. Right?
EDIT: I tried it out and you get more seeds from dropping them so yeah if your in it dor the seeds then I understand now.
Siege Wizard

Post by Siege Wizard »

XboxAddict77 wrote:I see what you mean here yes that works but can't you just break down the melon slices/pumpkins to seed via crafting table I tried with the pumpkins and i could just get seeds from there. Right?
EDIT: I tried it out and you get more seeds from dropping them so yeah if your in it dor the seeds then I understand now.
Not only that, falling melons and its collection can be automated into a vanilla Dispenser that feds some chicken. This way you only need to check the chests, no need to be crafting and moving seeds from one place to another.

S.W.
milkmandan

Post by milkmandan »

Siege Wizard wrote:(snip)...what you need it isn't a horizaontal tileable desing, but a vertical tileable one so that all the melons fall into the same block making the seed collection much easier..
Actually, I could see a way to take advantage of a horizontal design if you avoid the saws and have water flows below hoppers. Use a torch to turn dropped block melon into an item, drops into powered hopper which drops into water flow, into another hopper, into BD which drops now block form melons to their doom.

Advantage being you can have more control of timing of seeds as well as not having to build a tower right over where you want the seeds.
FlowerChild wrote:
Ribky wrote:What did you do with bonemeal? And can I mix it with clay and smear it on myself for instant growth?
You'll be receiving an email soon with instructions on how to order my patented instant growth formula.
Siege Wizard

Post by Siege Wizard »

milkmandan wrote:
Siege Wizard wrote:(snip)...what you need it isn't a horizaontal tileable desing, but a vertical tileable one so that all the melons fall into the same block making the seed collection much easier..
Actually, I could see a way to take advantage of a horizontal design if you avoid the saws and have water flows below hoppers. Use a torch to turn dropped block melon into an item, drops into powered hopper which drops into water flow, into another hopper, into BD which drops now block form melons to their doom.

Advantage being you can have more control of timing of seeds as well as not having to build a tower right over where you want the seeds.
You will still need a BD 16 blocks high over your seed collection facility. You can have your melon by its side instead of on top of it but you will need to move melon items from the farm to the BD by hand or an elevator. You can also have your egg farm not directly under your seed collection point, but you would need to get the seeds from the hopper to the vDispenser for the chickens. Can be done, yes, but it's quite harder. I find easier to have towers for each multi-facility farm so that I don't need to design complex distribution systems or that need manual operation. I prefer to go hunt endermans :)

You can still set an horizontal design at the top of the tower with the last hopper that collecten the melon items just above the BD that will break them, but then this design will be more expensive than the vertical tileable modules that we have desing, but it's your design and I try to make my own designs, even if there is one that is better, I keep with my own ideas. Then you look at your base from a distance and you can see what you have done, without copying them from others design, maybe with some influence, but they are your own designs.

P.S.: I find the way falling blocks interact with torches and similar non-opaque bloques (quite sure that a rail or similar will do the same as they also break sand and gravel) non realistic and I consider them "bugs". I know that is vMC behaviour, but I try not to take advantage of it.

S.W.
XboxAddict77

Post by XboxAddict77 »

You will still need a BD 16 blocks high over your seed collection facility. You can have your melon by its side instead of on top of it but you will need to move melon items from the farm to the BD by hand or an elevator. You can also have your egg farm not directly under your seed collection point, but you would need to get the seeds from the hopper to the vDispenser for the chickens. Can be done, yes, but it's quite harder. I find easier to have towers for each multi-facility farm so that I don't need to design complex distribution systems or that need manual operation. I prefer to go hunt endermans :)

You can still set an horizontal design at the top of the tower with the last hopper that collecten the melon items just above the BD that will break them, but then this design will be more expensive than the vertical tileable modules that we have desing, but it's your design and I try to make my own designs, even if there is one that is better, I keep with my own ideas. Then you look at your base from a distance and you can see what you have done, without copying them from others design, maybe with some influence, but they are your own designs.

P.S.: I find the way falling blocks interact with torches and similar non-opaque bloques (quite sure that a rail or similar will do the same as they also break sand and gravel) non realistic and I consider them "bugs". I know that is vMC behaviour, but I try not to take advantage of it.

S.W.
Actually I use water as an elevator i get the melon.pumpkin in item form put it in a dispenser to shoot it into a water flow and then it floats up to the hopper and block dispenser only to be dropped 16 blocks has anyone found a design to gather the seeds when it hits the ground because they go everywhere.
Siege Wizard

Post by Siege Wizard »

XboxAddict77 wrote:Actually I use water as an elevator i get the melon.pumpkin in item form put it in a dispenser to shoot it into a water flow and then it floats up to the hopper and block dispenser only to be dropped 16 blocks has anyone found a design to gather the seeds when it hits the ground because they go everywhere.
Nice way of transporting things up, haven't thought of it, may use it for a wheat automatic farm.
seeds recollection
Show
[_][_][_][_]
[_][A][A][A][A][A][_]
[_][A][_][_][_][A][_]
[A][_][_][_][A]
[_][A][_][_][_][A][_]
[_][A][A][A][A][A][_]
[_][_][_][_]

[_] - Air
[A] - Solid block, the wall should be 4 high to make sure no seed scapes from above.
- Sticky piston, make sure that the top and bottom rows extends before the other two pistons, retracting can be done the way you want.

The layer below this should have a chest-shape 3x3 grid in the middle:
[A][A][A]
[A][_][A]
[A][A][A]

Below the hole in that layer you place a hopper. The hopper can be in this same layer but you wouldn't be able to power it. The melons should fall directly to the hopper. The pistons can be hooked to a clock or to a DB that detects when a block has fallen.

Hope you find it useful.

S.W.
Siege Wizard

Post by Siege Wizard »

Sorry for the double post but...
XboxAddict77 wrote:Actually I use water as an elevator i get the melon.pumpkin in item form put it in a dispenser to shoot it into a water flow and then it floats up to the hopper ...
Unable to replicate, vDispensers can't shot upwards, BD won't shoot seeds into the air if they can't plant them, vDispenser shooting it into a waterfall would make the seed to sink not to float. Can you tell me how do you get a water elevator with dispensers?

S.W.