[Add-On] Finer Than Wolves (WIP)

This sub-forum is dedicated to add-ons and texture packs for Better Than Wolves.
Magnavode

[Add-On] Finer Than Wolves (WIP)

Post by Magnavode »

Abandoned project is abandoned.

If you're a mod then please lock or delete this thread.
Last edited by Magnavode on Tue Mar 12, 2013 2:59 pm, edited 7 times in total.
Katalliaan

Re: [Add-On] Finer Than Wolves (WIP)

Post by Katalliaan »

Just a heads up before you get too involved - you cannot release an addon that includes any of FC's code, so your version of the waterwheel must be separate from the one in the base mod.
Open in case of fire
Spoiler
Show
Not now stupid - in case of fire
Magnavode

Post by Magnavode »

The add-on extends FCClientRenderWaterWheel and tells it to use my modelRenderer instead of FCs.
None of FCs code has been copied. I can upload the sourcecode if anyone wants to look at it.
Benanov

Post by Benanov »

I'm going to guess a lot of the code's going to look like BWR code, then. We don't distribute any of FC's code, but BWR replaces several of his entities.
There's only one V in my name, thanks.

<TaterBoy> I figured out why there's so much lag. We have too much iron.
Magnavode

Post by Magnavode »

If you're talking about Better With Renewables, that mod is completely server side.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Don't bug him about the code guys. I understand what he's doing, and it doesn't require redistribution of mod code.

He just has to inherit from my water wheel renderer, and assign a new renderer to the appropriate entity through Modloader. It doesn't require any changes to the mod's code.
Ethinolicbob

Post by Ethinolicbob »

So for clarification, this is just client side visual mod?
And as such should be usable on a BTW server as it only affects client rendering?
If so than this is an amazing project you have undergone and I can't +1 it enough.
Those waterwheels look great! It is a fantastic idea!
Magnavode

Post by Magnavode »

Ethinolicbob wrote:So for clarification, this is just client side visual mod?
And as such should be usable on a BTW server as it only affects client rendering?
Correct. It basically has the same rules as a texturepack; You can see it, but other players can't.

I've added this information to the OP.
Ethinolicbob

Post by Ethinolicbob »

That is fantastic!
At this current time there are only a few staple mods that I use, Modloader, BTW and MCPatcher's HD Fix.
This particular style mod could very easily be part of that staple list.
With the emergence of BTW servers having such mods that only need to be installed on one side (server or client) are fantastic.
I am looking forward to seeing what else you are going to work on!
Panda

Post by Panda »

Ermagawd give me your Texture Sheet! :D
Never say no to Panda.
Magnavode

Post by Magnavode »

Ethinolicbob wrote:That is fantastic!
At this current time there are only a few staple mods that I use, Modloader, BTW and MCPatcher's HD Fix.
This particular style mod could very easily be part of that staple list.
With the emergence of BTW servers having such mods that only need to be installed on one side (server or client) are fantastic.
I am looking forward to seeing what else you are going to work on!
I'm planning on changing both the windmills first. Then I'll try to fix hollow objects like the hopper and the crucible, there's a shading issue that's really been bugging me. We'll see what route the mod takes after that.
Panda wrote:Ermagawd give me your Texture Sheet! :D
I'll upload tomorrow as soon as I'm done with the texture, so you can toy around with it. I've trown in some special love for texturepacks, you're going to love it ^_^
Luxzhv

Post by Luxzhv »

Magnavode wrote:I'll upload tomorrow as soon as I'm done with the texture, so you can toy around with it. I've trown in some special love for texturepacks, you're going to love it ^_^
-snip-

Rude Comment, Sorry.
Last edited by Luxzhv on Sun Dec 16, 2012 6:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gormador

Post by Gormador »

Luxzhv wrote:
Magnavode wrote:I'll upload tomorrow as soon as I'm done with the texture, so you can toy around with it. I've trown in some special love for texturepacks, you're going to love it ^_^
O_O Bro, its the 15th, were is the texture sheet!?
Don't update pester him. If he had other things to do or even just forgot, this doesn't concern us. He's doing it on his own time, so please respect that.

And having an update pester as a second post on this forum isn't going to make you any good.
FlowerChild wrote:If you have a suggestion, I recommend that it have pure manna from heaven flowing forth from its vagina to warrant posting it at this point in time.
Magnavode

Post by Magnavode »

This is a secondary project, meaning that I'll only be able to work on it when I'm done with my main project and I feel like doing some more coding. I admit that I probably submitted this WIP topic to early, being overwhelmed by excitement. However I do intend to finish it.

As far as the texturesheet, I'll release it as part of the project when it is done, as it will be utterly useless without the waterwheel model.
Anbaric

Post by Anbaric »

This I can not wait for. ^_^ I'm kinda glad that you haven't released the texture sheet yet, so I don't fall even farther behind on my list of things to texture.
Things about me.
Show
1: I hate all updates past 1.2.5. Server lag in SP?!?
2: I've never made it to SFS.
3:
sky_demon

Post by sky_demon »

very nice. I really like this new look of watermill. I always wanted it to look like this :) Im looking forward to this add-on.
Magnavode

Post by Magnavode »

I don't really like the name I gave this add-on. The name "Finer Than Wolves" means something along the line of "BTW visual upgrade". However the issue with "upgrade" is that it implies the add-on is an improvement over BTW and that completely up to personal preference. If anyone can think of a good alternative then please share. Bonus points if it's a funny word play or pun :)
Mr_Hosed

Post by Mr_Hosed »

Better Than Wolves - HD. If I were the name this, I think it would imply exactly what you're doing, which from what I've gathered is higher definition models.
DaveYanakov

Post by DaveYanakov »

Better With Polygons?
Better is the enemy of Good
dawnraider

Post by dawnraider »

Mr_Hosed wrote:Better Than Wolves - HD. If I were the name this, I think it would imply exactly what you're doing, which from what I've gathered is higher definition models.
That name implies HD textures, though, not different, not HD, models, unless the author plans on doing texturing stuff, which could be attained by a TP, so would be a bit redundant.
Come join us on discord! https://discord.gg/fhMK5kx
Get the Deco Addon here!
Get the Better Terrain Addon here!
Get the Vanilla Mix TP here!
Get the Conquest TP here!
Magnavode

Post by Magnavode »

Correct, it's going to stay at the default texture resolution. I'm only going to add alternate models and perhaps change some particles.

how about "BTW - alternate visuals"?
slango20

Post by slango20 »

that seems like a good name for a visual addon, and what would the windmill look like? or maybe just change the other stuff? because the windmill is pretty good as-is, just an idea though, feel free to criticize my idea for the addon