Don't Starve

This forum is for anything that doesn't specifically have to do with Better Than Wolves
agentwiggles

Re: Don't Starve

Post by agentwiggles »

The rabbit thing sounds a bit stupid, although I will say that those little shits needed to be nerfed somehow... it's a matter of no difficulty whatsoever to get 20-30 morsels in one day of hunting rabbits without the traps (if you haven't tried this, it's as simple as placing yourself so that you hit the rabbit as its running back to its hole). However, I don't like the idea that killing them is somehow immoral and deserving of punishment. Like FC said, it'd make a hell of a lot more sense to impose a penalty like that on killing the pigmen, who are at least sentient and whose death provides one of two very valuable resources.

I really don't use rabbits much as a food source anymore though, they really only make sense in the very early game before you have farms set up, and at this point my routine is well-established enough to have 10-15 berry bushes planted by my camp well before Day 5, not to mention the turbo farm plots.
finite8

Post by finite8 »

embirrim wrote:Also, live birds/rabbits will have a use later on. There is a thread complaining about the new trap mechanics, try them out for yourselves and you'll see how they've changed. Hatching tallbirds is quite cool.
Considering Wilsons selection screen image has him empting the contents of a mysterious vial into a rabbit, i see big hopes with them.

I'm gunning for some kind of Mutant Bunnykin Servant Monster, or maybe a Bunny-wheel powered machine.

Edit: I just remembered. I recently built a Pig house, next to my base and a spiders nest a bit further off. While i was off experimenting with captured bunnies, i noticed that the pigman had gotten into a fight with the spiders one morning. Not noticing, the bunny i put on the ground ran off. I chased him for a bit, but with no rabbit hole to go to, he was doomed.

That afternoon, I'm playing with vegetables and the bird cages when i look north. The pigman must have killed too many spiders and eaten too much monster meat. He had turned into a Werepig and was running full speed to the east. I thought "Oh yay! Pig skin" and tried to give chase when i saw what he was chasing: The rabbit with no home i had let loose. For a few seconds i tried to chase this pig that was chasing a rabbit, but i couldn't keep up. Thinking about it now, Benny Hill music would have been very appropriate.

Organic game mechanics at its finest there.
Flowerchild (IRC) wrote:I'm not trying to stop you BTW ..., I'm saying that I think you're a piece of shit...not the same thing
Extreme Boyheat

Post by Extreme Boyheat »

Picked this up today.
Don't really like being able to keep everything that I've researched when I die.
SterlingRed

Post by SterlingRed »

Extreme Boyheat wrote:Picked this up today.
Don't really like being able to keep everything that I've researched when I die.
Yeah the research system is going to undergo a major rework. I recall the devs saying it'll be a completely new system and reset after death coming in January.

Hint.
Spoiler
Show
Bee hives on world generation can start out as angry. You can tell if there are no bees flying around it, its angry and will only yield killer bees. If one is loaded for about 15 days in my experience it will become normal and normal bees can be caught and used for a bee box. I can also confirm bees will respawn after a day or so from the bee box if they are killed or caught. Thus it's possible to sustain your bee population with only one initial non angry beehive.
finite8

Post by finite8 »

SterlingRed wrote:
Extreme Boyheat wrote:Picked this up today.
Yeah the research system is going to undergo a major rework. I recall the devs saying it'll be a completely new system and reset after death coming in January.
Yeah. They mentioned something about "Creating a prototype which unlocks the item". I'm interested to see where this goes.
Flowerchild (IRC) wrote:I'm not trying to stop you BTW ..., I'm saying that I think you're a piece of shit...not the same thing