Question about Old versus New Smooth Stone Pedastals

This sub-forum is dedicated to add-ons and texture packs for Better Than Wolves.
EdzyWhat

Question about Old versus New Smooth Stone Pedastals

Post by EdzyWhat »

Hey everyone,

I've been running into a little issue with 4.40 texturing with the new smooth stone pedestals. I thought it would use the old texture we had created for it (which I had really liked), but it seems as it takes the same form as all the other new pedestals. What I mean is that existing Stone Pedestals will use the old texture we had for it, but newly created ones will use the same texture as the new stone table/bench/corners/mouldings. Is this just a new feature? Is there any way to make new pedestals with the old texture?

In a picture:
I prefer the old texture, and would love to have it back. If that's too much of an issue, I understand. But if there's also a way to sneak around this with the existing framework of 4.40, I'd love to know.

Thanks in advance. Love your work on the update FC!
I had an image here once. Then I took an arrow... somewhere...
Panda

Re: Question about Old versus New Smooth Stone Pedastals

Post by Panda »

EdzyWhat wrote:Hey everyone,

I've been running into a little issue with 4.40 texturing with the new smooth stone pedestals. I thought it would use the old texture we had created for it (which I had really liked), but it seems as it takes the same form as all the other new pedestals. What I mean is that existing Stone Pedestals will use the old texture we had for it, but newly created ones will use the same texture as the new stone table/bench/corners/mouldings. Is this just a new feature? Is there any way to make new pedestals with the old texture?

In a picture:
I prefer the old texture, and would love to have it back. If that's too much of an issue, I understand. But if there's also a way to sneak around this with the existing framework of 4.40, I'd love to know.

Thanks in advance. Love your work on the update FC!
New Textures were assigned to tables old pedistools stone cuts and a couple others. Its gonna take some big rethinking on my part to fix everything in my pack. Lol but im kinda there
Never say no to Panda.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

I'll take a look at this for next release. It shouldn't be too hard for me to assign separate textures for these blocks, I just didn't think of the impact it'd have on texture packs when I reassigned things.
Panda

Post by Panda »

Ohh Sweet Mother of god thank you sooo much flower T^T
Never say no to Panda.
EdzyWhat

Post by EdzyWhat »

FlowerChild wrote:I'll take a look at this for next release. It shouldn't be too hard for me to assign separate textures for these blocks, I just didn't think of the impact it'd have on texture packs when I reassigned things.
Thanks! I'd really appreciate that!
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Ok, I sorted this out for next release.

Note, this ONLY applies to smooth stone Pedestals, and Oak tables, as it'd quickly add up to an insane number of textures if I differentiated each of the pedestals and tables in this way.

Anyways, I've changed the new ones to reference the old textures, so once the next release comes out, you should be able to restore your old look for these blocks quite easily :)
EdzyWhat

Post by EdzyWhat »

Wow. Quick fix. Impressive.

I hate'd to push your generosity too far, so feel free to say no on this next question.

I'm sure you may have heard about the CTM mod that is a part of MCPatcher, because Panda has been doing a lot of work with it. Well one thing that CTM doesn't handle is mod textures. The bummer about this is that when I create a random texture for Stone Bricks or Oak Planks, it will only work for any block or terrain that references the vanilla texture terrain.png or similar vMC art. So, I've been running into a problem with how to deal with all of the new textures you've added. Fundamentally, they're using essentially the same texture, since you basically copypasta'd the wood/netherbrick/other textures. But since you draw the new mod blocks from btwterrain01.png, I can't use any of CTM's methods on them. An example of when you've used a vMC texture to draw a mod block is the Obsidian pressure plate, which I have been able to CTM quite successfully.

Example of CTM's powerful randomizer tool in game:
(Blocks with V come from vanilla minecraft and can use CTM's randomizer method. Blocks with M--sidings in this case--come from the Mod and cannot.)
Spoiler
Show
I can't imagine redoing all the texture mapping would be fun, but I've created a bunch of art for my TP that won't be utilized now. If you want, I'd be willing to supply you with a list of all the textures, blocks, and such that map with the mod that could be reapplied to vMC textures. Again, thanks for the work you've already done, and feel free to say no/ban. All I have is respect for the work you do for your community.
nmarshall23

Post by nmarshall23 »

EdzyWhat wrote:I'm sure you may have heard about the CTM mod that is a part of MCPatcher
Edzy, the ideal solution is for us, to make an addon that adds support for CTM textures.
I know that MCPatcher is opensource, but I have no idea about CTM.
Could you look into that for me? That is see if you can find the source code for CTM.

Also ask the CTM author about mod support?

I gave MCPatcher's Git Repo a quick look; I didn't see anything that jumped out at me as part of CTM.

I've also wanted CTM support, I bet that if CTM has hooks, it will not be hard for me to write a quick mod to add support. I've just never had the time to wade into mcpatcher MCF.
Ulfengaard wrote:BTW by FC: Fixing vanilla, one version at a time. :)
EdzyWhat

Post by EdzyWhat »

nmarshall23 wrote:Edzy, the ideal solution is for us, to make an addon that adds support for CTM textures.
I know that MCPatcher is opensource, but I have no idea about CTM.
Could you look into that for me? That is see if you can find the source code for CTM.

Also ask the CTM author about mod support?

I gave MCPatcher's Git Repo a quick look; I didn't see anything that jumped out at me as part of CTM.

I've also wanted CTM support, I bet that if CTM has hooks, it will not be hard for me to write a quick mod to add support. I've just never had the time to wade into mcpatcher MCF.
Good suggestion!
I'll make a new thread so we can more specifically talk about CTM, expanding support between that mod and BTW, if that's alright.
Here it is!
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

I think you guys may want to wait for 1.5 or whenever Mojang is going to redo the rendering code.

If they're going to be supporting infinite texture indices, one way or another, than any CTM mod will likely adapt to that system, making this a non-issue.
EdzyWhat

Post by EdzyWhat »

Good point. Feel free to lock this one for now. And thanks for the pedestal change.