Fireworks? Really?

This forum is for anything that doesn't specifically have to do with Better Than Wolves
finite8

Fireworks? Really?

Post by finite8 »

Supports the "Oh, It's cool and pretty! Must Add" theory of Mojang operations.
Spoiler
Show
Other than some flare system, i see no practical use for this.

...unless it can be directed and deals damage. Hmmm..... where have i seen this before....
Spoiler
Show
Flowerchild (IRC) wrote:I'm not trying to stop you BTW ..., I'm saying that I think you're a piece of shit...not the same thing
MrLemon

Re: Fireworks? Really?

Post by MrLemon »

I think the fireworks are a positive addition, they add more incentive for you to build cannons and such, something very interesting but without fireworks rather useless, particularly in SSP.

At any rate I think they are better than re-skinned wheat and chunks of compressed metal.
Rianaru

Post by Rianaru »

MrLemon wrote:I think the fireworks are a positive addition, they add more incentive for you to build cannons and such, something very interesting but without fireworks rather useless, particularly in SSP.

At any rate I think they are better than re-skinned wheat and chunks of compressed metal.
If they just get fired out of a dispenser, how would you make a cannon out of that?
FlowerChild wrote: -----

A short while later:

FlowerChild: What is this pussy shit?
BigShinyToys

Post by BigShinyToys »

Could be interesting if they worked like "sky flowers" from the movie Land of the Dead.http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0418819/quotes By that I mean distracting zombies by drawing there attention away from Steve and to the fire works.
Spoiler
Show
MrLemon

Post by MrLemon »

Rianaru wrote:If they just get fired out of a dispenser, how would you make a cannon out of that?
Oh, I wasn't aware that was how they worked. For some reason I was under the impression they behave like a TNT block but with a special explosion. Looking again at that picture that Jeb posted though I see what you mean, there is a dispenser that appears to be firing them.
tom_savage

Post by tom_savage »

...or for drawing a lot of unwanted attention to someone in an anarchy server.
justcallmecloud

Post by justcallmecloud »

MrLemon wrote:
Rianaru wrote:If they just get fired out of a dispenser, how would you make a cannon out of that?
Oh, I wasn't aware that was how they worked. For some reason I was under the impression they behave like a TNT block but with a special explosion. Looking again at that picture that Jeb posted though I see what you mean, there is a dispenser that appears to be firing them.
If anything they should have done a multiblock structure instead. By doing this they could definitely balance it with the recipe and number of blocks required to shoot higher. I would imagine in the end they are going to release something similar to a brewing stand for fireworks which will allow for production at very little cost. I am of course just speculating though.
The Lord of Brick

Post by The Lord of Brick »

Maybe a portable version of the fireworks could be used as a (completly useless) signal flare?
I'm the Doctor. I'm a Time Lord. I'm from the planet Gallifrey in the constellation of Kasterborous. I'm 903 years old and I'm the man who gonna save your lives and those of six billion people on the planet below. You got a problem with that?
DigitalAristotle217

Post by DigitalAristotle217 »

justcallmecloud wrote: If anything they should have done a multiblock structure instead. By doing this they could definitely balance it with the recipe and number of blocks required to shoot higher. I would imagine in the end they are going to release something similar to a brewing stand for fireworks which will allow for production at very little cost. I am of course just speculating though.
Multiblock structure? That's actually really interesting and would be relatively exciting. But my best guess is X number of gunpowder+firework (recipe probably includes that new ore, because the picture in the nether) in a dispenser = X height. As for the shape/effects of the fireworks, potions?

But I really hope it can be aimed to deal damage. Would make castle siege maps that much more interesting.
DigitalAristotle217

Post by DigitalAristotle217 »

Confirmed: Fireworks crafting recipe is just gunpowder and paper..
Can be modified by adding more gunpowder or adding a "star". Stars can be modified by different things like mob heads, feathers, fire charges, diamonds etc.
No sounds added as of the newest snapshot, but it has a system with delayed sound activation (some code or something is in place for it) it the further away you are.
Does not deal damage.

Not to be a gamer elitist or anything, but why? What value does this add for my MC game besides "Oh shiny" or "RPG elements"? There's nothing survival about it. But that's like, just my opinion man. Thoughts?
Battlecat

Post by Battlecat »

My thoughts:

It might have cost development time, but it's not overpowered, doesn't break the game, and it is a bit of fun.

Combined with the hardcore gunpowder in BTW, it's actually a rather challenging reward for us, not to mention one that FC was considering implementing anyhow. I'm sure some creative people will find a few applications.
Marasambala

Post by Marasambala »

Battlecat wrote:I'm sure some creative people will find a few applications.
1812 Overture with noteblocks, anyone?
Sometimes I think everyone else is smarter than me, then I realize everyone else is smarter then me.
Rianaru

Post by Rianaru »

Marasambala wrote:
Battlecat wrote:I'm sure some creative people will find a few applications.
1812 Overture with noteblocks, anyone?
Whelp, I don't want to burst your bubble, but I've been trying to figure out chord progressions with note blocks, and they suck. I didn't think I could find anything worse than my midi generator, but chords sound worse in minecraft than they do in regular midi form.

A short while later:

FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Rianaru wrote: Whelp, I don't want to burst your bubble, but I've been trying to figure out chord progressions with note blocks, and they suck. I didn't think I could find anything worse than my midi generator, but chords sound worse in minecraft than they do in regular midi form.
They're far from perfect, but people have still pulled off some pretty impressive shit with them...

Rianaru

Post by Rianaru »

I'm just really big on chords sounding good since I teach so many mediocre music groups. And don't get me wrong, I think that that sort of thing is incredibly impressive just from the timing and redstone aspect of it. On the other hand, when you spend enough time in music to get the vast majority of your income from either performing or teaching it, things like chords being off get really distracting :(

A short while later:

Donzaffi

Post by Donzaffi »

Rianaru wrote:I'm just really big on chords sounding good since I teach so many mediocre music groups. And don't get me wrong, I think that that sort of thing is incredibly impressive just from the timing and redstone aspect of it. On the other hand, when you spend enough time in music to get the vast majority of your income from either performing or teaching it, things like chords being off get really distracting :(
Pls remember that minecraft is "little " java game. Its the style of the game like the graphics, it feels like an old retro game so you can't put in a RSE.
Consistency is the last refuge of the unimaginative

HIgh Res Texturepack ............43% done
ProjectMayhem

Post by ProjectMayhem »

Donzaffi wrote:Pls remember that minecraft is "little " java game. Its the style of the game like the graphics, it feels like an old retro game so you can't put in a RSE.
No, he's right. The graphics would've sucked back in '89 too and the note-blocks sound a LOT worse than most 1980's sound chips. That's not a problem with the game being java or little, that's a problem of Notch not being an artist. Is it important? Perhaps not. Does it make me cringe when people call the game "retro"? Yes. There's nothing retro about mediocre art. It's low-fi, but it's not retro.
finite8

Post by finite8 »

ProjectMayhem wrote:
Donzaffi wrote:Pls remember that minecraft is "little " java game. Its the style of the game like the graphics, it feels like an old retro game so you can't put in a RSE.
No, he's right. The graphics would've sucked back in '89 too and the note-blocks sound a LOT worse than most 1980's sound chips. That's not a problem with the game being java or little, that's a problem of Notch not being an artist. Is it important? Perhaps not. Does it make me cringe when people call the game "retro"? Yes. There's nothing retro about mediocre art. It's low-fi, but it's not retro.
For the most part, i disagree with you...

Except for the player and mob models. I can look past all the blocky terrain and go "Yeah Retro" and am satisfied. The Player models and mob models on the other hand are shit. Take Cubeworld as an example:

That captures the retro feel. If you see the game in play on youtube, the animation is fluid. I'm sure this is a look Notch wanted in the first place by looking at the Enderdragon. It is far more complex that any of the other models in the game.
Flowerchild (IRC) wrote:I'm not trying to stop you BTW ..., I'm saying that I think you're a piece of shit...not the same thing
Rianaru

Post by Rianaru »

ProjectMayhem wrote:
+1

A short while later:

EpicAaron

Post by EpicAaron »

I would have rather seen some kind of TNT physics change that would allow creating an upwards shooting TNT cannon capable of launching a firework block into the air. I am not sure if this is already possible with TNT, and will be looking into it. Fireworks being an item from dispensed from dispensers seems more like an aesthetic mod addition than something I would care to see from Mojang.
BTW Community Server Discord: https://discord.gg/arZpuYW
Spoiler
Show
Detritus

Post by Detritus »

finite8 wrote: Image
So, going a bit OT here, but that's allowed.
I really want this game. I watched the unofficial trailer, and now I'm hooked. It's beautiful.
All parts should go together without forcing. You must remember that the parts you are reassembling were disassembled by you. Therefore, if you can't get them together again, there must be a reason. By all means, do not use a hammer.
SterlingRed

Post by SterlingRed »

Detritus wrote: So, going a bit OT here, but that's allowed.
If you think OT is allowed you may want to read the rules again. Its often not explicitly moderated and even less so in off topic, but intentionally derailing a topic is generally a bad idea, its simple enough to start a new topic to discuss what you want to.

I would totally build a version of parliament and subway train in order to properly play with fireworks. Unfortunately I don't think I have time for such an undertaking even in creative. It would be lots of fun though...I'm contemplating the scale required for it and waiting to see what fc does with the fireworks.
The Lord of Brick

Post by The Lord of Brick »

Detritus wrote:
finite8 wrote: Image
So, going a bit OT here, but that's allowed.
I really want this game. I watched the unofficial trailer, and now I'm hooked. It's beautiful.
Concur'd

Also, dont forget about bats, bats have tiny but quite complex models assuming you can ever get close enough to one with out it flying away. I highly recommend Optifine for achiveing this.
I'm the Doctor. I'm a Time Lord. I'm from the planet Gallifrey in the constellation of Kasterborous. I'm 903 years old and I'm the man who gonna save your lives and those of six billion people on the planet below. You got a problem with that?