Horizontal rope movement mechanics.

If you want to get banned, this is the place to post.
Lighthouse

Horizontal rope movement mechanics.

Post by Lighthouse »

While I was working on a bridge, this thought just stroke me.

In BTW we have pulley and rope to move platforms vertically, but they don't move horizontally.

Adding this feature would allow us to create more complex machines such as escalator and can provide means of transportation that normal water mechanics / minecart system cannot provide, such as moving multiple sources with precision at the same time and moving multiple mobs to certain position (you can only move 1 mob per minecart.)
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Re: Horizontal rope movement mechanics.

Post by FlowerChild »

<bangs own head against desk>
Miss_Kat

Post by Miss_Kat »

If you're getting stroked by a thought, we really, really, don't need to hear about it.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Miss_Kat wrote:If you're getting stroked by a thought, we really, really, don't need to hear about it.
Rofl. Thanks Kat :)
Verloren

Post by Verloren »

Lighthouse wrote:While I was working on a bridge, this thought just stroke me.

In BTW we have pulley and rope to move platforms vertically, but they don't move horizontally.

Adding this feature would allow us to create more complex machines such as escalator and can provide means of transportation that normal water mechanics / minecart system cannot provide, such as moving multiple sources with precision at the same time and moving multiple mobs to certain position (you can only move 1 mob per minecart.)
Maybe a thread should be created listing already suggested ideas that have been shot down...This one popped up around the start of this forum.
Urian

Post by Urian »

Verloren wrote:Maybe a thread should be created listing already suggested ideas that have been shot down...This one popped up around the start of this forum.
Good idea about collecting all previous suggestions. There is already a post somewhere on this forums with it (perhaps in the old suggestions thread) that could be updated. Also, this isn't something that's been suggested only once -or ten times- before. It's probably the most common suggestion made and it has been answered several times before, hence the head banging on Flower's part.
FlowerChild: Ice in deserts is a good idea
Thieme

Post by Thieme »

I see this forum has a search function so why people don't use it? should be in the rules for this subsection imo.
And even if people can't use the search function. With the mandatory "descriptive titles" it is very very hard to check the topic titles of the current and second page of topics at least (heck this subforum only has 2 pages atm) so there is absolutely no reason at all to post an idea that has been suggested before. You would probably be better of writing a post "I am stupid" just do it in offtopic if you feel like that ;)
magikeh

Post by magikeh »

I have to add to this topic that when this subforum was new (like 10 min old) i created a topic that stated all the things that had been previously suggested and it was promptly shut down, due to the fact that Flower wanted ppl to go thru the forum and read what other ppl had suggested rather than skimming a list (or post) and then going and posting somthing similar to somthing that had already been suggested!

Just wanted to give yeh all the heads up bout that!! ^_^/
Magical Shit
Show
Syruse|Work: i like magic shit
MagikEh: ...
MagikEh: >.>
MagikEh: <.<
»» MagikEh walks to the bathroom
Syruse|Work: hahaaaaaaaaa
Syruse|Work: wait
MagikEh: xD
Syruse|Work: fuck
Syruse|Work: NO
Syruse|Work: DONT
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

jamestully22 wrote:I have to add to this topic that when this subforum was new (like 10 min old) i created a topic that stated all the things that had been previously suggested and it was promptly shut down, due to the fact that Flower wanted ppl to go thru the forum and read what other ppl had suggested rather than skimming a list (or post) and then going and posting somthing similar to somthing that had already been suggested!

Just wanted to give yeh all the heads up bout that!! ^_^/
I'd prefer to avoid huge general-purpose posts like that. What I suspect will happen if you create such a thread is that it will become a general discussion hub for existing ideas. As such, I'd much rather have individual ideas handled in individual threads. If people really need such a list, they can then read the titles of the various topics in this thread.

Also, if you think that people that come in here reflexively posting the first obvious idea that pops into their head (like horizontal platforms, or my other 'favorite': diamond saws) are actually going to read a list like that, you are sadly mistaken.
Glox

Post by Glox »

FlowerChild wrote: Also, if you think that people that come in here reflexively posting the first obvious idea that pops into their head (like horizontal platforms, or my other 'favorite': diamond saws) are actually going to read a list like that, you are sadly mistaken.
Isn't that why you have this forum? Make a sticky in the suggestion forum with all the bad ideas that will never make it in your mod (with a bit of reasoning for some, like this one: it's really cool, usefull and in the right feel of the mod, but is hard to code and a bugfest if you did. Someone whitout coding knowledge wouldn't know that), and add a rule: read that sticky before posting. Those who don't get a warning, to much warnings = ban?
Haidaes

Post by Haidaes »

Well to be honest a sticky would certainly help. While not everyone will read it, it is still more comprehensive than the search function of any board. Especially when it comes to technical stuff there are often more than 5 names for 1 thing and as the community appears to be more of the international sort, I have to say that it is kinda hard to search for something you hardly came up with a name for in the first place.

As for your fear it could turn into some single suggestions thread again, well you could lock it and have only mods edit it every now and then. There is no discussion needed in such a thread as far as I'm concerned. Also making the posting of the 10th dimond saw a bannable offense certainly would do its part too.
Lighthouse

Post by Lighthouse »

I merely skimmed the whole forum and could not find the similar thread about my suggestion.

I apologize if I offended people here.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

No worries man. You just had the misfortune of kinda wandering in during an ongoing discussion on these forums about how to manage the number and quality of ideas that people are submitting, and also of suggesting something that is up there in the top two of most requested, yet entirely unrealistic, features.
Conscript Gary

Post by Conscript Gary »

I must say I'm curious as to what makes horizontal platforms so difficult. Just because of how minecraft handles falling entities colliding better then horizontal ones?
Battosay

Post by Battosay »

Conscript Gary wrote:I must say I'm curious as to what makes horizontal platforms so difficult. Just because of how minecraft handles falling entities colliding better then horizontal ones?
Where did you saw "difficult" being mentioned ? It's not the problem :
FlowerChild wrote:-snip-
yet entirely unrealistic features
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Battosay wrote:
Conscript Gary wrote:I must say I'm curious as to what makes horizontal platforms so difficult. Just because of how minecraft handles falling entities colliding better then horizontal ones?
Where did you saw "difficult" being mentioned ? It's not the problem :
FlowerChild wrote:-snip-
yet entirely unrealistic features
Actually, "exceedingly difficult to pull off" IS what I meant by unrealistic.

I wasn't talking about in-game realism. I was talking about programming reality ;)
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

It's just a lot more work man. The Pulleys and Platforms were a huge task for me to implement, and to move them horizontally would be AT LEAST as much work all over again. If you consider how the Ropes, Anchors, and Pulleys all work, you will realize that the entire system is designed around vertical motion. To incorporate horizontal, I'd pretty much have to throw all the code I've already done related to these blocks right out the window.

Sorry, but I don't want to be working on just that for the rest of my life. I've got to call it quits at some point and call a feature "done", and vertical movement was where I drew that line from the very beginning of when I designed the system.

They function the way they function and that's it. They're not going to move horizontally, they're not going to rotate, and they're not going to blow you while you sit on the can.
AmRadTheory

Post by AmRadTheory »

aww I was looking forward to the blumpie block
I am rad... in theory.
Fracture

Post by Fracture »

FlowerChild wrote:-snip- and they're not going to blow you while you sit on the can.
But what else could we possibly use pulleys, ropes, anchors and platforms for?
Abracadabra, you're an idiot.
unufnfu

Post by unufnfu »

this would make mod better
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Ah...obvious troll is obvious.