Sharing useful builds that get the job done

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
embirrim

Re: Sharing useful builds that get the job done

Post by embirrim »

Wow you guys are really coming up with some nice designs, these soul urners are pretty amazing.. I'd really just like to point something out though, and it's basically what led me to build the soul urner I built in my world.
Just so you guys have an idea, it takes 18 seconds to produce each urn, it does so safely and efficiently, meaning it will not waste ground netherrack, you don't have to stand next to it to get the product, and importantly it will stop itself if it runs out of urns.
Now, to have a ground netherrack production that keeps up with this I need 16 millstones running continuosly. 16. That's a humongous amount of space, and if you consider HCB, it's even bigger.
In terms of practicality, for your own worlds, it is sometimes not really necessary to go with the quickest solution. There is always a bottleneck, and in the soul urn process it is always the ground netherrack.
Even combined with soul dust it will take a huge farm. And the amount of netherrack mining you'll have to do is insane.

I really don't want to depreciate your builds, they are quite amazing, one of my first posts on the forum was actually a super-fast kiln. But I really think this is something people really overlook: netherrack grinding is slow, it's 10 seconds per item in the millstone.
Rawny

Post by Rawny »

I agree whole heartily wtith ebirrim and that's thy I Ike MY auto bottler so much. If gear is missing it stops and its. No more sutomaded urn? System waits. No more netherrack, system waits... Produces as much as I can when it can. How fast I haven't clculated yet but once I rebuild it in mah new mp server ill the nd get data.

Here the meat and potatoes vid I made on auto soul. I kinda dislike the video, not clear concise enough for me.
Spoiler
Show
The full thing starts here.
Spoiler
Show
And yes /lower head in shame/ I gotta push my wee one. It's cute if you haven't seen before.
Spoiler
Show
Time to fade, they're in the system
haphazardnuke wrote:"Quick and Easy" is incompatible with Better than Wolves. Try using the patch, "Sense of Accomplishment".
SterlingRed

Post by SterlingRed »

TheOneGuy wrote: Snip cool bottler
I always love to see new people create their own designs rather than copy an existing one. Very neat man! Also welcome :-)
Your post has unintentionally reminded me of a way to recycle my wheat farm seeds. I totally forgot about hc bouy and floaty stuff. Which of course is rather silly because I do play with it on. I'll have to do some experimenting with water based vertical elevators. Thanks!
milkmandan

Post by milkmandan »

SterlingRed wrote:Your post has unintentionally reminded me of a way to recycle my wheat farm seeds. I totally forgot about hc bouy and floaty stuff. Which of course is rather silly because I do play with it on. I'll have to do some experimenting with water based vertical elevators. Thanks!
Has some heavy restrictions for placement since for seeds to float up you need source blocks all the way (falling water overpowers the buoyancy effect). Limits you to building in the ocean and only getting probably 20 or so blocks vertical rise.

On an unrelated note, I've been finding a way to simplify most of my redstone by using a timer + AND (or NOR). Here's one I used with wolf feeder.
Spoiler
Show
Above is a plain dispenser, from the left is a slow timer. When there's food still existing, the block gets continuous power and thus the output remains off. When no food, the timer signal runs triggering dispensing. Most of time, this will work without the timer, but occasionally the food doesn't make it to the pressure plate and thus no signal gets sent back up.

Not a lot of wolves, but the increased efficiency from feeding them as soon as they're hungry means they produce more dung than my quantum cow pit, of 60-100 cows, can produce leather. Quantum in that the cows have to make it through a wall in order to die. Seems to happen more often with a higher cow pressure.
I did something similar with a bottler, avoiding need for a monostable circuit and automatically handling restart after new urns are added. Detector block powers dispenser when urn is in place, otherwise timer pulses try to place a new urn until successful. Invert the detector signal and send it over to the millstone power so it stops when there's no urn. Mostly lossless and very little input, got a hopper feeding the millstone so just load it up with netherrack and walk away. Could make it totally lossless by having a dispenser spit out the ground netherrack next to the hopper instead of relying on the millstone to output to arrive at the hopper at roughly even rates.
FlowerChild wrote:
Ribky wrote:What did you do with bonemeal? And can I mix it with clay and smear it on myself for instant growth?
You'll be receiving an email soon with instructions on how to order my patented instant growth formula.
TheOneGuy

Post by TheOneGuy »

SterlingRed wrote:
I always love to see new people create their own designs rather than copy an existing one. Very neat man! Also welcome :-)
Your post has unintentionally reminded me of a way to recycle my wheat farm seeds. I totally forgot about hc bouy and floaty stuff. Which of course is rather silly because I do play with it on. I'll have to do some experimenting with water based vertical elevators. Thanks!
Thanks m8, didnt think many would notice. But embirrim, you make a very good point, I totally didnt think of that... ill see if i can get a workaround with that, even with hardcore buckets, and if I get any solutions ill be sure to post a updated design, for now though I have to focus on my world for once, instead of trying to get designs that will only aid me in the future. Trying to stop playing BTW is impossible, so many possibilities. Heh.
BlackCat

Post by BlackCat »

Made an egg cracker that allows for the use of looting axes, for those who don't want to waste the opportunity for more SFS armor ;)
Spoiler
Show
ImageImage
Basic rundown of how this works: Use the lever to switch the (extremely noisy) device on and off, the top piston will trigger the buddy acting as a self sustaining clock for the dispenser, the dispenser will shoot out eggs, and the bottom piston will continuously push any chickens/raw eggs ontop of the hopper (they would otherwise suffocate) and you can collect the raw eggs and leave the chickens for later slaughtering. Also the trapdoor will not let any chickens out when you open it, so you don't have to worry about chasing the little buggers down when you want to harvest them.
Ribky: eh, maybe kinda iffy at first, but you grew on me like a glorious tumor of innovation
Detritus: A whole lot of walls decided they wanted to give you a hug, but you're allergic to walls

My Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/illogicallycompact
LiveInPain

Post by LiveInPain »

I came up with this a while ago, dont know if someone has already thought of it but it can be really useful in some builds.
Spoiler
Show
It can also be used to farm melons and pumpkins.
Huli

Post by Huli »

LiveInPain wrote:I came up with this a while ago, dont know if someone has already thought of it but it can be really useful in some builds.
Mh you inspired me to have a look at it and I came up with this:

tl;dr below.
Spoiler
Show
The top left one is a simplified version of yours. Sadly you can't place them besides each other as the redstone will form a line and no longer send power into the block beneath the piston. If you run a waterstream to carry the sugarcane along it wont even need a planter.

The top right one is something for tripple high sugarcane harvesting. The detector is a block higher. The bottomblock pushes first (ignore the delay on the repeater that was me playing arround) followed by the topblock to not have the top sugarcane land on the block....so i thought. The truth is bottom left.

The setup could easy work with only one detector and one repeater in a whole row to empty the row if one sugarcane did grow fully but because the pistons are not powered at the same time a lot of sugarcane lands on the block below. I however would prefer a version without repeater (to save redstone) aswell as torches (to save on particle lag).

tl;dr... top left is a simplified version of LiveInPains but can only be used with a 1 block gap to the next. Other pics are an idea that does not quite work without using a lot of redstone torches or repeaters.
Husbag3

Post by Husbag3 »

This is a simple bio-clock connected to what would be a hemp farm (If I could get water in that world, the glowstone represents tiled soil).
Spoiler
Show
Side view:
Top view:
The BD contains 2 non-conductive blocks and one solid.
If the minecraft world is infinite, why does the sun still rotate around it?
BlackCat

Post by BlackCat »

http://imgur.com/a/jmmYi

Soul bottler dedicated to shifty <3

Edit: Going to work on fixing this, I have it compacted a bit more already, but it still does have a few issues
Last edited by BlackCat on Thu Nov 29, 2012 2:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ribky: eh, maybe kinda iffy at first, but you grew on me like a glorious tumor of innovation
Detritus: A whole lot of walls decided they wanted to give you a hug, but you're allergic to walls

Six

Post by Six »

BlackCat wrote:http://imgur.com/a/jmmYi

Soul bottler dedicated to shifty <3
(As I said in chat,) That's a nice design in theory and all, but pistons like that are really not consistent enough to push the used dust across. I imagine if you actually try loading that up with 'rack and urns, you'll be left with a bunch of dust on top of the soulsand hopper. I think it might be something to do with how stuff sits on the top of hoppers, and I'm not sure there is any way to solve it without water.
embirrim

Post by embirrim »

After finishing this build on my server a few days ago, I went ahead and made a video. It is a fully fledged urn factory, complete with netherrack grinding. In the video I explain my reasoning behind the speed of the build, and as that was mentioned some time ago on this thread by me and some other people, I thought this would prove an interesting post :)

Hope you enjoy it!
http://youtu.be/-BBLWKPcqFE
Spoiler
Show
Panda

Post by Panda »

I use cobwebs as a zero waste breeding mechanic. Think of it as the same idea as pistons extending to stop a block from falling and the retracting to let it drop, well cobwebs do the same kind of thing except they slowly stop itsms decent long enough for lets say an animal to eat wheat, making it a great option for vertical animal farms(putting a hopper at the bottom is a good idea) also the spider webs catch the baby animals slowing its decent.

And this is why spider webs are great!
Spoiler
Show
Never say no to Panda.
Elevatator

Post by Elevatator »

yup. Except the fact that we can´t get them legit into the game.
⠀⠀⠀⢀⣀⣠⣤⣤⣤⣶⣶⣶⣦⡀
⠀⠀⢠⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣦
⠀⢀⣾⣿⣿⠟⠉⠀⠀⠀⠀⠈⠻⣿⣿⣷⣄
⠀⣼⣿⣿⠏⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠘⣿⣿⣿⣧
⣰⣿⣿⣿⡀⠀⢀⣴⣾⠿⣵⣦⠀⠀⣿⣿⣿⠇
⠙⢿⣿⣿⣇⠀⠈⠛⠁⠀⠈⠁⠀⣠⣿⣿⡏
⠀⠀⠻⣿⣿⣷⣤⣀⣀⢀⣀⣠⣾⣿⣿⡿
⠀⠀⠀⠈⢻⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⡥⠤⠒⣢
⠀⠀⠀⠀⣀⣽⣿⣿⡿⠿⠿⠛⠉⠁⣀⣤⣶⠟⠁
⠀⠀⢴⣭⣥⣶⣾⣿⡇⠀⠀⠀⠀⢸⣿⣿⠁
⠀⠀⠀⠀⢀⣿⣿⣿⡷⠀⠀⠀⠀⢸⣿⣿⣧⡀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⢾⣿⣿⣿⣤⣤⣤⣤⣤⣼⣿⣿⣿⠇
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠁
BlackCat

Post by BlackCat »

Finished the soul bottler (for the most part) it will always waste 1 dust per each round of urns made (each time you start it)
Spoiler
Show
ImageImageImage
And while working on some designs for bellows I came up with these
Spoiler
Show
ImageImage

Eriottosan

Post by Eriottosan »

BlackCat wrote:And while working on some designs for bellows I came up with these
Any chance of scaling down the images? I had to zoom out to see them :P

Heh I really love that (expensive) method of bellows powering!!
私は日本語が大好きだ。だから、私と話すとき、日本語で書けば、日本語で書いてください。
I like Japanese, can you tell?
BlackCat

Post by BlackCat »

Random block eater
Spoiler
Show
ImageBlock + RST in the bottom db
Probably not very useful, just sort of a weird design for it that I came up with today

More useful block eater
Spoiler
Show
Imageredstone dust in top block dispenser
Similar to one of six's designs for the block eater

Edit:

Tiny wool farm :)
Spoiler
Show

SterlingRed

Post by SterlingRed »

I was not aware grass spread from grass planters. That's cool and useful!
tom_savage

Post by tom_savage »

What prevents the BD from placing wool and killing the sheep?
BlackCat

Post by BlackCat »

tom_savage wrote:What prevents the BD from placing wool and killing the sheep?
Funky interaction between nonsolids I'm pretty sure, but yeah they don't suffocate for whatever reason.

Edit: Changed up my earlier pottery design because it was wasting clay balls :\
Spoiler
Show
I explained how this works in an earlier post for anyone that hasn't already seen it.

Edit: Sorry for the double post, here is the concept for the sand pusher again
Still a W.I.P. But I was playing with sand pushers today and I came up with this concept/base design
Spoiler
Show

dawnraider

Post by dawnraider »

It's due to the fact that sheep are slightly more than 1 block tall, so a block must be placed in the second one for them to suffocate, similar to how Steve doesn't suffocate if his feet are inside of a block. Nice design, though!
Come join us on discord! https://discord.gg/fhMK5kx
Get the Deco Addon here!
Get the Better Terrain Addon here!
Get the Vanilla Mix TP here!
Get the Conquest TP here!
BlackCat

Post by BlackCat »

dawnraider wrote:
It's due to the fact that sheep are slightly more than 1 block tall, so a block must be placed in the second one for them to suffocate, similar to how Steve doesn't suffocate if his feet are inside of a block. Nice design, though!
I've actually found that the design doesn't work for another reason, being that the wool will stay in place and stop grass from growing. It was a fairly simple fix though, I'll edit in some pictures in a minute or two.

Edit: This should do the trick
Spoiler
Show

Rianaru

Post by Rianaru »

Tried to find a design to do this, but couldn't, so I made my own, and it was pretty simple.

This takes a block(in block form) and moves it elsewhere, placing it in block form. So far, there's no way to move blocks around automatically short of turning them into items by hand first, or convert them with a mining charge, which doesn't work for all items. So here it is:

http://imgur.com/a/aBkli

Make sure all of the BDs are facing the same direction, and all the turntables including the one for redstone are set to the same speed, and that there are the same number of gearboxes from the power source to each gearbox. Finally, make sure that the redstone torches on the turntable are oriented relative to the direction of the BDs as shown in the picture.

Not sure what all the applications of this are, but I know it can be used to get rid of the collection limitations(because you can only fit 16 stacks of something in a BD) on wool farms and ice/snow farms, to harvest hardcore melon farms, and whatever anyone can think of. In general, this could be useful for moving blocks that need to be placed elsewhere without filling up separate machines, since there's no way to get items out of a BD automatically.

This build is infinitely extendable as long as you get the redstone timing right, and I assume someone else will make a version that goes diagonally too.
FlowerChild wrote: -----

A short while later:

FlowerChild: What is this pussy shit?
dawnraider

Post by dawnraider »

Wow. That is amazing! I never would have thought of turning a chain of BDs to suck blocks in at one end and spit them out at the other. I always just placed it then used pistons to push it, and while this is definitely more expensive, it has a much wider range of uses. Nice job!
Come join us on discord! https://discord.gg/fhMK5kx
Get the Deco Addon here!
Get the Better Terrain Addon here!
Get the Vanilla Mix TP here!
Get the Conquest TP here!
Rianaru

Post by Rianaru »

Thanks :) I'm just not completely sure what they are yet xD
Although I guess you can use it as a way to connect a pottery machine to a kiln...Bah, other people can figure it out, I just had fun making it :)
FlowerChild wrote: -----

A short while later:

FlowerChild: What is this pussy shit?