Hardcore Endermen scared the crap out of me.

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
foreman

Hardcore Endermen scared the crap out of me.

Post by foreman »

My gaming box had been out of commission for a little while and I finally got it back up and running and updated the other day. For the first time last-night since FC's tweaks to endermen I finally caught one's eyes, accidentally no less....

Holy crap, first time in a long while playing MC that I got properly freaked out. Thank-you so very much for this experience again FC.
Last edited by foreman on Mon Nov 19, 2012 3:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Sarudak
Site Admin

Re: FC scared the crap out of me...

Post by Sarudak »

I agree. I really really like the hardcore endermen change. Especially when your in the end. Even after you defeat the enderdragon you don't feel like you've conquered the end. You really feel like an unwelcome outsider. Shuffling along with your eyes cast down at your feet. Fearing to even look around for fear of giving the true owners of the end a reason to snuff out your pitiful existence. It's a powerful feeling for me at least.

PS: Meaningful thread titles please. Something like Hardcore Endermen Scaring the crap out of me woul be better :)
foreman

Re: FC scared the crap out of me with Hardcore Endermen...

Post by foreman »

I've not made it to the end in this particular world yet, I'm actually excited by the prospect. I always manage to accidentally aggro one or two while wandering about there, and with Hardcore spawn it becomes even more of a daunting task. After an accident or two I've become more aware of how I actually move about the world, all of these hardcore changes bring a bit of the first time thrill back to the game for me.

@Sarudak, I apologize for the ambiguous thread title, thanks for pinging me on it. I'm attempting to become less of a lurker on the various forums I frequent, and I'd like to do it properly.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

And please remove my name from the thread title. It's mentioned in the forum rules, but it basically acts as a "read me signal flare" for me as I'm browsing the various forums :)

It's kinda like someone saying your first name when you're out in public, even if they aren't talking to you. You can't help but look.
foreman

Post by foreman »

@FC - Sorry about the name in the title, I know how active you are here and I should have remembered that part of the rules. As I pull myself out of the lurking I'll be more vigilant.
Battosay

Re: Hardcore Endermen scared the crap out of me.

Post by Battosay »

Are you shitting me ? I changed the title for you when there was only one reply, so you changed it back to add FC's name again.
Enjoy your vacation.
odranoel

Post by odranoel »

hehehe, i had a similar experience the other day, and i was very tempted to post about, but didnt wanna make a new thread for that, but now i can here!

to be honest i hadn't really fought many endermen since HC enderman were introduced. and just a week after that i started a new world for many reasons. as a result iv been largely ignoring them recently as i work my way back up the tech tree. but last week i had the scariest moment iv ever had in minecraft ever. i was lighting up the area around my base and suddenly i heard this sound i had never heard before. it seriously scared the crap out of me and made me freeze, i it was the evilest sound i had yet heard in MC and i could not identify it.

that when an endermen teleported behind me a struck me. i was still freaking out about the noise i heard so i was not expecting that and it scared me even more! i got hit again, and thats when i sprang into action. i turned around to see the enderman, and swung at him. but he just teleported away. oh no! that scary sound again! D: another endermen teleport behind me gain and hits me for the third time now. i go WTF IS GOING ON!?! D: D: D:

i turn to hit this new enderman, only to have him turn TP away and then the other one hit me again from behind! i heard that horrible sound again and am struck for a fourth time from behind. at this point i start running wildly for my virtual life. after getting a little bit away i turn around for one of the most horrifying things i had ever seen in MC. not one or two, but three! endermen all coming at me jaws wide open and screaming.

the following battle was one of the most intense i have yet had in MC. not only did i have to fend off the three endermen swarming me from all sides, but i had to fight off the random creeper or two that wanted a piece of the action. i really started freaking out and just running randomly and swinging randomly in a frantic struggle to survive. i finally managed to kill the last enderman and won me my first two precious ender pearls in this new world. but i was down to half a heart only, and still confused and distressed as to what had just happened. (i was literately sweating with agitation)

only later did i realize that what had happened was my first encounter with the HC aspect of endermen (the so called gang-rape behavior) together with the newly introduced sounds for them in 1.4. i seriously cannot remember the last time i had been so genuinely scared by a game before. back in the day my fav games used to be the original silent hills and resident evils. (silent hill more then anything) i dont think i had been this frightened since my first encounters with pyramid head. also the new enderman sounds are very....silent hilly, which i absolutely loved. (which is one of the things that made SH so scary, the sounds!) so this was seriously one of the most pleasantly unpleasant surprises i have had in a long time. the HC endermen coupled with their new sounds from 1.4 make for a very frightening first experience and a formidable enemy that will have you thinking twice before engaging them....

i really loved this new feature! (even if i experienced it a little delayed after its initial release, which actually made it better cuz of the new 1.4 sounds :D )
Sarudak
Site Admin

Post by Sarudak »

Battosay wrote:Are you shitting me ? I changed the title for you when there was only one reply, so you changed it back to add FC's name again.
Enjoy your vacation.
To be fair it was probably an accident. Most likely thing is he opened the edit window before you changed it thus he had the original title. You changed the title to be helpful. He never saw that as he was in his edit window trying to repair his mistake and avoid getting banned and didn't realize that FC being in the title was a problem. Then when he was finally done he submitted his form and changed the title never seeing that you had changed it for him. It's a problem inherent in web based architectures where multiple people can be editing at the same time. :)
Ozziie

Post by Ozziie »

While on this topic: Could anyone confirm if Endermen aggro just because you visit the End?

I'm not sure whether they'd held aggro from the last time I'd been there (I had died so maybe not?) or they were just pissed off that I'd entered their realm and it was a feature.

This was asked here but got no response.

I noticed it is possible to drop aggro if you log out and back in again but I don't have the technical insight to associate this with entering a new dimension.
SterlingRed

Post by SterlingRed »

Ozziie wrote:While on this topic: Could anyone confirm if Endermen aggro just because you visit the End?
Dying does indeed cause endermen to loose aggro. They only aggro if you look at them. Its very easy to accidentally do that when switching dimensions as you have no idea if your pointer will land on one of the buggers or not.
Anbaric

Post by Anbaric »

That's why feet suddenly become so interesting. ^_^
Things about me.
Show
1: I hate all updates past 1.2.5. Server lag in SP?!?
2: I've never made it to SFS.
3:
Rianaru

Post by Rianaru »

Anbaric wrote:That's why feet suddenly become so interesting. ^_^
...Especially in bed?
Havn't seen a post someone could do this to in a while xD
FlowerChild wrote: -----

A short while later:

FlowerChild: What is this pussy shit?
Wibbles

Post by Wibbles »

SterlingRed wrote:
Ozziie wrote:While on this topic: Could anyone confirm if Endermen aggro just because you visit the End?
Dying does indeed cause endermen to loose aggro. They only aggro if you look at them. Its very easy to accidentally do that when switching dimensions as you have no idea if your pointer will land on one of the buggers or not.
Surely a simple solution would be to wear specs before wandering into the portal?
SterlingRed

Post by SterlingRed »

Wibbles wrote: Surely a simple solution would be to wear specs before wandering into the portal?
Yes I would think so as well. Except anything simple, is never quite so simple. For example lets say you activate the end portal...and a silver fish pushes you in before you put the specs on. Or you are on your last pair of specs and the lovely dragon knocks you into the void as soon as you teleport. Eventually success will happen but its not always possible to avoid an unplanned death and personal violation at the arms of the hardcore endermen.