Question on my elevator design.

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
Gareleus

Question on my elevator design.

Post by Gareleus »

Preamble: Please don't refer me to an already existing design, I want help with this one if possible barring that I will come back later (hopefully) with another design.

To be specific i have a few questions regarding elevators, red stone and the likes. I'll try to keep it simple but I wrote all this down during the morning in high school so I think I am right but I am not high enough on the tech tree to know for sure without using creative mode. So here is my rough notes I took in during first period, they are pretty messy but seeing how I had never looked at someones elevator design I think I am pretty close. Excuse the bad photo quality It was taken freehand from my phone.
Spoiler
Show
Sorry for the large image but I think it helps get through my horrible shorthand. I'll describe it all out and hopefully that will clear all problems.

So I want a elevator that can (obviously) go up and down stop at different floors and what not.

Top right is basically me sketching out how the torch pillar will effect the latch that will make the elevator go up or down on command.

Left side is the sketching out of the simple yes/no gates of the detector blocks and the overrides to allow the platform to pass freely.

Center is the rough sketching of the entire shaft up my mountain and the tower with the elevator motor on the top and the different floors laid out for a conceptualizing of what I am doing.

Bottom left is my idea for the RS torch tower which is how I will transmit the up/down signal to the motor or the yes/no for the break.

Ignore Center bottom as that was my first attempt get around the braking system of the block detector.

I understand my hand writing is atrocious and will be redoing the entire thing as a "final" draft and uploading that picture. Sorry about not using Mc as a visual aid, I don't have the tech to build this, even small scale, and I don't believe in creative mode. if you have any questions feel free to ask though keep the criticism of my penmanship to a minimum. I would like to thank all in advance for even bother to look into this thread.
Ancilangeli

Re: Question on my elevator design.

Post by Ancilangeli »

you said you needed help with redstone, and your right... first off torches are not the way to go, look into wireless redstone with lenses. every torch adds a delay, the detector block your prolly gonna use for floor stops adds delay as well, and the one at the end of the wireless redstone line, be sure to compensate for this.
thats about all i can give for a drawing on a piece of paper, apparently im notas good at mindcrafting, hope it helps
how to take a no like a sir
Spoiler
Show
a forum user after being told they couldnt do something wrote:Alright, that's all I wanted to know, thank you very much.

I think that this closes the issue. Thread can be locked.
LupusExMachina

Post by LupusExMachina »

Highschool is obviously not the place for that for a multitude of reasons.

Despite that:
Yes, lense is the way to go.
Use a single pair and maybe try pistons to block the beam when you're on the right level.

I haven't dug trough the picture as it is a pain to do so, so I don't know if you already have that in there: you will need a way to store the info where you want to go. I would use a single bit memory (don't know what the actual term for it is) on every floor you want to set as a valid stop. Hook that bit memory and a detector block to an AND-gate and use this to trigger your method of stopping the elevator.

Basically you have the two conditions: "It should be here" and "It is here". When both are met the elevator must stop.

It might be a little bit tricky, as you might want to wire every floor with every bit memory in every other floor to be able to move freely.
tom_savage

Post by tom_savage »

I once tried to design an elevator system like this, with a button floor system and everything. There's a few problems with this.

1. Not worth the resources, time, or frustration. The benefit to an elevator system that can stop on a desired floor is very minimal. Stairs, ladders, and water stops are much more efficient.

2. Huge. The amount of redstone wiring that goes into this is ridiculous. This is if, (I'm assuming), you want a panel on every floor with the ability to change which floor you are going to. And even if you did build this, the finished product would be so bulky, your elevator would take up more room than most automation facilities.

I suggest you tone down your first elevator design to having fewer stops (using lenses and pistons), and a button on each floor to toggle which way your elevator is going. Even this design will take you a while to create.
Nexus Trimean

Post by Nexus Trimean »

I generally just use up one floor and down one floor on every level, it simplifies the wiring, and you get the same sort of effect. :)
TSA

Post by TSA »

you can get some ideas from my design feel free to ask anything

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=5597
LunaticToad