Design Discussion: Anyone care about redstone emitting light

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
Mason11987

Re: Design Discussion: Anyone care about redstone emitting l

Post by Mason11987 »

Seems like the definition of "bang for the buck" to me. Chop chop!
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

odranoel wrote: however on that thought considering some people might (again might) miss it. maybe this would be the kind of thing thats best left as optional? :)
I might agree with the above in this case, but the thing is that this is a funky case as it takes place during vanilla block initialization, before the mod (and thus the config file) is even loaded.

I could probably rig something up for that, but it would likely be a lot more involved than it would be for other options, when I hate options to begin with ;)

Honestly, I'd rather not do this at all than make it optional. One of the big reasons it is so tempting is because it is only 4 lines of code.
odranoel

Post by odranoel »

FlowerChild: Honestly, I'd rather not do this at all than make it optional.
then please just rip it out! :D its completely frivolous and only serves to hog our precious FPS D: again anything thats useless and only hogs performance has no use being in the game in the first place. i suspect my soul bottling plant will become much more "user friendly" after this :)
Gormador

Post by Gormador »

FlowerChild wrote: -snip-
One of the big reasons it is so tempting is because it is only 4 lines of code.
Then, allow yourself to give in to temptation ! It seems there's a lot more pros than cons here.
FlowerChild wrote:If you have a suggestion, I recommend that it have pure manna from heaven flowing forth from its vagina to warrant posting it at this point in time.
Battosay

Post by Battosay »

I do not care about redstone emitting light, so I'm in :)
embirrim

Post by embirrim »

I remember this coming up way way back when stormweaver posted a nice pigman farm using pistons and pressure plates. I say go for it, especially if there is still a visual indication that it is on or off: I remember this being an option in Optifine back when I had BTB installed, and it did give some framerate improvement.
Biohazard91X

Post by Biohazard91X »

Go right ahead and cut it :)
Six

Post by Six »

One question: Would it be just as easy and performance saving to make them always have a light level of 1 or 2, which never changed? That would at least keep some of the charm of glowing redstone contraptions in the darkness.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Six wrote:One question: Would it be just as easy and performance saving to make them always have a light level of 1 or 2, which never changed? That would at least keep some of the charm of glowing redstone contraptions in the darkness.
Well...ummm...ok...

Dude, that's a brilliant solution to this problem :)

It doesn't matter if they're always on or always off, just as long as they don't constantly change light level. The only place I could see this making a difference would be redstone torches on turntables, but I don't think there's generally enough of those around to worry too much about it.

Will think it over a bit more, and have to check the code to verify, but I do believe the above is an ideal solution.
The Phoenixian

Post by The Phoenixian »

I do actually use redstone torches for emitting light, I don't use it often but from time to time it sees itself providing dim aesthetic lighting in rooms I keep dark. (Such as wolf dungeons or hidden passages beneath waterways.)

That said, I'm not sure It is something I can't bear to lose .
♪ The screams of the souls of the damned and dying,
Fuels for me, the Industry. ♪
Sarudak
Site Admin

Post by Sarudak »

Funny I was thinking of suggesting the always have redstone emit light thing but didn't think you would like it since it might seem nonsensical... :P
Benanov

Post by Benanov »

The Phoenixian wrote:I do actually use redstone torches for emitting light, I don't use it often but from time to time it sees itself providing dim aesthetic lighting in rooms I keep dark. (Such as wolf dungeons or hidden passages beneath waterways.)

That said, I'm not sure It is something I can't bear to lose .
Brighter light sources some distance away with a few transparent blocks (e.g., pedestals) get you most of the same aesthetic at the cost of a little more room. Not a perfect solution if space is tight, but it's my solution.
There's only one V in my name, thanks.

<TaterBoy> I figured out why there's so much lag. We have too much iron.
odranoel

Post by odranoel »

Six wrote:One question: Would it be just as easy and performance saving to make them always have a light level of 1 or 2, which never changed? That would at least keep some of the charm of glowing redstone contraptions in the darkness.

wow....its amazing how often the simplest solution, is the best one. yet it can be so simple its easy to miss.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

odranoel wrote: wow....its amazing how often the simplest solution, is the best one. yet it can be so simple its easy to miss.
Well, it was just a matter of inverting the problem. The light wasn't the issue...the darkness was ;)
tom_savage

Post by tom_savage »

Any kind of performance increase is a win in my book.

Does it not take any more memory to keep blocks a solid light level than to have them unlit? I'm asking this based on the previous statements about just leaving the light level the same all the time. I'm just curious.

I'd personally rather have the light ripped out and a low light level block/torch introduced. I'm always a fan of new aesthetics, but it seems you've found a much simpler solution that saves time...either way, I'm happy, performance increase ftw.
dawnraider

Post by dawnraider »

tom_savage wrote:Any kind of performance increase is a win in my book.

Does it not take any more memory to keep blocks a solid light level than to have them unlit? I'm asking this based on the previous statements about just leaving the light level the same all the time. I'm just curious.

I'd personally rather have the light ripped out and a low light level block/torch introduced. I'm always a fan of new aesthetics, but it seems you've found a much simpler solution that saves time...either way, I'm happy, performance increase ftw.
It is not the light itself that is the issue. It is the constant change of condition, requiring many light updates. So there is no difference, as long as the light is constant.
Come join us on discord! https://discord.gg/fhMK5kx
Get the Deco Addon here!
Get the Better Terrain Addon here!
Get the Vanilla Mix TP here!
Get the Conquest TP here!
obl1terat1ion

Post by obl1terat1ion »

Better Than Optifine anyone :P, but on a more serious note yeah what six said would be for the best and you get the coolness of flipping the issue.
FlowerChild wrote:Can't make an omelet without blowing up a few chickens.
thedeepestblue

Post by thedeepestblue »

I'm in favor of chopping out RS-torchlight. I often like to use RS-torches for aesthetic reasons (e.g., low-level lighting in my mushroom-caves), but it's a non-essential and performance definitely takes priority. If you did add an alternative mood-lighting solution, it would be nice, but not necessary? (But then, I can't imagine it would be a difficult addition...)
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

We're once again getting to the "people that chime in without reading the entire conversation" point in this thread, so time for the lock.